Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I wonder if people are aware that, if they want coffee really loving badly, there's pretty much always the option to make it at your house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

"I didn't fight a secret war in Nicaragua so you can walk these streets of freedom bad mouthing lady America, in your damn mirrored su

coyo7e posted:

I pity the fool who does that regularly, because a lot of people know martial arts, and muscle memory is a thing. For instance I've never had anyone grab my hand to check out my ink, but I'm a 6'4" white dude, so it might just be a power play, whether they're aware of it or not. Showing off privilege as it were. Anybody grabs me who's under 60 and doesn't already have a grandmotherly/fatherly relationship with me, had better be willing to lose the hand or be shown the door.

Easy there Francis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OnpkDWbeJs

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

bulletsponge13 posted:

Another phone call:
"Hello, X comics, how can I help you?"
"Is my prescription ready?"
"I don't know."
"Why the hell not?!"
"Sir, this is a comic book store."
"So this is the CVS on Y road?"
"No sir."
"Well, why the hell isn't it?"
"Because I think you dialed the wrong number."
"Sorry."
I looked it up to check. Our number is no where close to theirs- the only thing in common is the area code.

My office has a fax number that is exactly one digit removed from the fax number of a major credit card company. As in, the credit card company's is 0123456, ours is 0123546. We regularly get faxes coming in saying "please cancel this card" or "this card was stolen, I need a replacement" or something like that, complete with all the credit card info (number, holder, expiration and check digits) and personal information. It would be extremely easy for someone to use that to conduct credit card fraud, and it's amazing that people don't carefully check the number when sending out information like that.

Standard m.o. is to call up the person and say "hey, you sent this to the wrong number, we'll trash the info, meanwhile you might wanna resend it", and while most people are really grateful, some get extremely pissy about their mistake. It's incredible.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
I used to work tech support for a gigantic media and entertainment corporation and for some reason the support line for one of their New York subdivisions was exactly one number off from the phone number for the White House reception desk. I would get angry conspiracy nuts calling in all the time demanding to speak to president Bush and refusing to accept they dialed the wrong number. If it became clear that they weren't going to hang up and if nothing else was going on I'd ask them their thoughts on 9/11 and listen to the madness for a while.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

I was talking to some of my friends in retail the other day and it reminded me of this customer I had when I worked at an upscale grocery store. We were located next to a parking garage that charged $8 an hour to park so management worked out an agreement with them where we would validate a customers parking for the first hour, after which they would be charged as normal. So if you shopped at our store and got your parking validated in under an hour you essentially got free parking. Other than that, we had absolutely no affiliation with the garage and couldn't comp tickets or anything.

There was this one woman who came through my line who was perfectly pleasant, dropped $400 easy on groceries, and went to the customer service booth to get her parking validated. Turns out she had been in the store for about an hour and a half, so the customer service person let her know that because of that she would be charged $8 when she turned her ticket into the garage. She got absolutely furious and demanded that she get free parking because there was no way she had spent that long in the store and can't you see how much money she had spent!? There was nothing the person could do so they went back and forth for awhile before she decided that she didn't want any of the groceries she just bought. So she returned $400 worth of groceries because she would have to pay an $8 charge. An $8 charge she was going to have to pay anyway to get her car out of the garage.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Side Effects posted:

I was talking to some of my friends in retail the other day and it reminded me of this customer I had when I worked at an upscale grocery store. We were located next to a parking garage that charged $8 an hour to park so management worked out an agreement with them where we would validate a customers parking for the first hour, after which they would be charged as normal. So if you shopped at our store and got your parking validated in under an hour you essentially got free parking. Other than that, we had absolutely no affiliation with the garage and couldn't comp tickets or anything.

There was this one woman who came through my line who was perfectly pleasant, dropped $400 easy on groceries, and went to the customer service booth to get her parking validated. Turns out she had been in the store for about an hour and a half, so the customer service person let her know that because of that she would be charged $8 when she turned her ticket into the garage. She got absolutely furious and demanded that she get free parking because there was no way she had spent that long in the store and can't you see how much money she had spent!? There was nothing the person could do so they went back and forth for awhile before she decided that she didn't want any of the groceries she just bought. So she returned $400 worth of groceries because she would have to pay an $8 charge. An $8 charge she was going to have to pay anyway to get her car out of the garage.

Ah the days of working at upscale grocery. I loved my co-workers but man I had never had to deal with a group of such entitled rear end-hats in my life.

Some of the stories that pop in my head:

1) We had a guy that wanted to use the bathroom. We had two, one was closed for repairs (clogged toilet) so I advised him to wait while the other customer finished up. Guy (who was wearing as suit) says "ok" and walks over to our bread isle. unzips, and proceeds to relieve himself over our bakery goods. Got to watch my furious manager chase him out.

2) Had a guy throw coffee at our demo guy because he thought the free coffee we were giving out for samples was "too cold".

3) I was trying to help a mentally disabled lady with her groceries and had her in the check out line. We get to the register and are next in line and this poor lady starts to have a panic attack. Since I wanted to get her out of the store and to her caretaker at the front I asked the gentleman in front of us if we could cut in front in line (keep in mind the woman is screaming at this point). The man in front of me SLAMS his hand on the counter and yells "NO, I was in line first and I deserve to be next!" I came within a breath of punching that man in the face when my manager, quickly seeing I've just lost any cool I had, quickly grabbed my arm and took me to the back. He gave me an empty box and said "start punching this to let out some steam, then you can come back out to the front". Like I said, my co-workers and management were really cool!

4) It's 4th of July! So we closed two hours early so we could go catch left over BBQ with our families and see Fireworks. As we're rushing to get the store cleaned and stocked up a man comes to the front and starts banging on the door. My manager walks up and tells him we're closed early due to the holiday. Man yells back "that's unacceptable and I'll show you why" so he walks over to our Watermelon display (this was outside) and proceeds to start chucking them, one by one, into the parking lot. Queue manager again chasing a customer half way accross the parking lot.

5) Crazy racist lady would come into the store once a week and always demand why we carried foreign products. She wanted American, damnit! She, for some reason, especially got mad when she saw a product that came from Canada yelled that the only thing Canadians :canada: were good at were "taking good, honest American jobs" :911:

These are just the stories off the top of my head. For the most part customers were fun and, as I said, management and co-workers were super chill. We usually would drink beer and get drunk in the parking lot after hours.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Side Effects posted:

When I was working as a phone monkey (inbound customer service for a shopping channel - primarily taking care of actual business, not sales), I had a customer who was *livid* over a line on one of her latest invoices showing that an extended warranty (for jewelry, to boot) was listed at something pretty obviously incorrect. ($10.00 actual fee showing as $1000, can't remember the exact numbers.)

Now, going back through her orders and verifying that the added charge was not actually $Stupid, and having her verify that her CC statement also showed no corresponding $Stupid charge, this was not enough for Our Valued Customer. This wonderful person, who according to the invoices had spent north of $100k in about a year (!!!) on cheapo TV-huckster jewelry and additional extended service/warranty options on all of it, decided that *nothing* would do but for every single extended warranty be examined for errors, and then cancelled/refunded.

Since she wanted to on the line for each cancellation, and refused to accept that there was a 30-day cancellation window on those addons, I got to spend roughly 45 minutes getting only three weeks back into her purchase history. (At that time I supervisor finally became available and took over the call, and I could finally complete really lovely call notes ("cancelled 30-40 warrantees per cx request over period <day/month - day/month year>" and go have lunch.) Don't know how it ended up, but I didn't get bollocked over it, so yay I guess. I do know there was no mass-selection command to automate the process, at least not available to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope
I run a computer repair shop, and i get all sorts. 90% of our clients are cool, and just want help. The other 10% are the crazys, and they make my job entertaining. So, for context, we charge $59 for a system evaluation/diagnostic which we apply to whatever service we need to do. sometimes the client will decline additional service, and we give them a list of whats wrong and what we recommend to fix it. So, we do this service for a client, she declines service, and we give her the notes, never expecting to hear back. About two weeks later, shes back

ME: Hi, how can i help you?

Client:I was in last week, you charged me $59 for a diagnostic. I took my computer somewhere else and they said I only have 10 infections, But you crooks said I had 15. I want my money back!

ME: Ok, we did preform the diagnostic service for you, I'm afraid we can't give you a refund.

Client:THAT IS UNACCEPTABLE, YOU TRIED TO CHEAT ME!

ME: i'm sorry you feel that way, but you paid for our opinion on your computer. We run the same battery of tests on each machine that comes in.

Client: I DON"T CARE, THE OTHER STORE SAID YOU WERE WRONG AND I"M ENTITLED TO MY MONEY

ME: Is it possible that they may be wrong on the severity of your problem?

Client: NO, I took it to best buy! they have more locations than you, so they know what they are talking about! (this is word for word what she said)

(at this point, there is a distinct laughing sound coming from my tech in the back, Both he and myself have been in the industry for 20 years each)

Me: You need to understand, we price based off of the required service, it dosen't matter to us in you have 1 virus or 1000.

Client: YOU WILL GIVE ME A REFUND, I'M AN IMPORTANT PERSON IN THE TOWN AND YOU CAN'T AFFORD THE BAD PRESS I CAN CREATE!

ME( i'm done at this point) Ma'am, there is nothing I can do, have a nice day.

Client: YOU WILL REGRET THIS! (then she kicks open the door and storms out.)

we never hard back from her.

Jxforema fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 27, 2016

• Locked thread