Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

if you drive in the snow regularly, it's infinitely better because you have exact control over how fast your wheels move, you can use this to get unstuck and to slow down without using the brakes

nothing like trying to go up an icy hill in an auto and OOPS it just downshifted and now you're spinning

That's what the [1] [2] [3] part of your slushbox is there for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Frozen to Death posted:

the op is referring to morons who brake with their other foot. even if you drive a manual stick you're supposed to break and gas with the same foot. jesus

I think only you and one other dude got that, was it my poor communication skills or goon stupidly?

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

revmoo posted:

You would be surprised how many people have no loving clue what those are for.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

revmoo posted:

yes but shifting that poo poo isn't as rapid and in many cars it's just a "don't exceed this gear," not "stay in this gear til I tell you otherwise"

for example on my lame rear end old outback it takes a good 2-3 sec to decide it's gonna go into 3 or 2 after you tell it to. that's sometimes the difference between sliding off the side of a snow covered mountain.

also it doesn't lock the torque converter when you do that, so you still don't have as much control *AND* it will still downshift to a lower gear. so if you had it in 2, and it thinks it needs more power, it will still go to 1. and slide you off the road. a friend wrecked his bronco in this manner

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

revmoo posted:

Wifeys autotragic has a 'Winter' button which makes it start out in third, which is kind of along the same lines. Thankfully she hasn't asked where the 'Spring, Fall, and Summer' buttons are. :3:

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I think only you and one other dude got that, was it my poor communication skills or goon stupidly?

Oh I got that alright the thing is arguing about stick vs automatic is more fun

dumb, but fun

Frozen to Death
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

they just couldn't wait to lay down their sick burns on you

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Son of Rodney posted:

Oh I got that alright the thing is arguing about stick vs automatic is more fun

dumb, but fun

Frozen to Death posted:

they just couldn't wait to lay down their sick burns on you

Fair enough to both

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I do. But ironically I only have one leg.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
You are not required to drive stick, but if you can't and only have an automatic license, you do not know how to drive a car.

Luckily, nowadays driving stick is easy, because cars have really great and tight clutches compared to back in the day. It's like learning how to drive a bike, or learning how to swim. You should not exist in this despicable, yet easily resolved situation of where you can only use an automatic transmission, and you have to explain your embarassing inability to someone in the exact situation where you do not have the thirty minutes required to get it down.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
person who taught me to stick was handing me the keys to the supra and sending me out on the track

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000
Anyone can drive a stick, not everyone can drive a stick well enough to not go through clutch plates in like 20k miles.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I've only ever had automatic vehicles. I don't feel like I'm worse off for not ever needing to drive a manual vehicle

:shrug:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Methanar posted:

I've only ever had dumbed-down kiddie vehicles. I don't feel like I'm worse off for not ever needing to drive a real vehicle

:shrug:

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Son of Rodney posted:

lol I'm american I basically drive the scooty puff junior variant of cars and still have more accidents than most other first world countries

pretty sure deaths per mile driven would be much less bullshit

bag of a bee
Jun 17, 2007

Zeno-25 posted:

the us ranks better than japan using that stat lol

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Zeno-25 posted:

Yeah but then my dumb argument would have less impact.

This is per miles driven:

Still higher than most civlized countries, while you can only drive 60 miles an hour which is babby speed. :roflolmao:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Driving stick in San Francisco is terrible and bad.

dpush
Nov 10, 2009

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

if you drive in the snow regularly, it's infinitely better because you have exact control over how fast your wheels move, you can use this to get unstuck and to slow down without using the brakes

nothing like trying to go up an icy hill in an auto and OOPS it just downshifted and now you're spinning

You can still downshift an automatic. D 2 1 son. I get along just fine in the snow at work in a poo poo rear end ford ranger. When it's in the shop and I have to drive a stick around I slap shift so I don't blow out my knee at every stoplight in town. In other words you only need one foot to drive either way.

dpush fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Sep 15, 2015

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
I am uncoordinated on a legendary scale. I'm sure I could find a few ways to gently caress up a manual.

Titter
Jul 30, 2015

by Ralp

Idiot Kicker posted:

I use two feet because I am Fred Flintstone

Came in to post ^^that, except put as...

Q: Who uses 2 feet 2 drive?

A: Fred Flintstone.

Conclusion: I'm quietly confident that Idiot Kicker (aka Fred Flintstone) has a good brain which works well in the correct way.

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Son of Rodney posted:

Yeah but then my dumb argument would have less impact.

This is per miles driven:

Still higher than most civlized countries, while you can only drive 60 miles an hour which is babby speed. :roflolmao:

you can go faster than 60 on a lot of roads in the us

(were you talking about the other civilized countries?)

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Matey posted:

No I meant the US, didn't know that. I legit thought that you can only go 60 mph in the US.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Matey posted:

In Kentucky I've been tailgated for only going 87. One time a cop passed me there for going 55 on a one lane highway.

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Son of Rodney posted:

No I meant the US, didn't know that. I legit thought that you can only go 60 mph in the US.

A lot has changed since Sammy Hagar sang his speed limit song

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Son of Rodney posted:

Hey piss rod, it's 2015. Read a wiki while your eating rear end and shucking cum corn.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Son of Rodney posted:

Heh. If you're doing 80 MPH on the highway you're only going faster than about 75% of the drivers.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

notZaar posted:

Heh. If you're doing 80 MPH on the highway you're only going faster than about 75% of the drivers.

Oregon supposedly has a maximum speed limit of 65 MPH, but if you are on I-5 doing 65 then you are getting passed by everyone. Cruising at 75 is fairly normal, and even going 85 I get passed with some regularity.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

unpacked robinhood posted:

Automatics are nice for traffic jams which to my understanding are 80% of the driving time on huge us metropolitan areas, manuals are great the rest of the time

In traffic jams I just keep it in 1st and leave a nice gap in front of me. Rarely have to touch my brakes or accelerator, have plenty of room to maneuver around jackasses that insist on being 5' behind the car in front of them, it's nice.

People who bitch about driving stick in traffic just don't know how to drive one.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
I enjoy driving stick and if I had to choose between two cars, with all else being equal, I'd take the manual. Plus they usually cost less.

I hate going to Chicago in my car though. It's fine once I get past O'hare, but right around there is a loving nightmare.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Jesus Christ posted:

In traffic jams I just keep it in 1st and leave a nice gap in front of me. Rarely have to touch my brakes or accelerator, have plenty of room to maneuver around jackasses that insist on being 5' behind the car in front of them, it's nice.

People who bitch about driving stick in traffic just don't know how to drive one.

Lmao you never been in traffik, BITCH

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

bag of a bee posted:

you should learn how to develop film too, just in case you come across a roll solving the JFK assassination

...solving it more?

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Lmao you never been in traffik, BITCH

Eh I've not been in any of them multi-week traffic jams in China, yah, but Austin gets pretty retarded every day.

You'd be surprised how people react when you give a bunch of space in front of your car! Try it sometime, it actually makes the drive faster!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

www posted:

i use both feet cus im not a baby and drive a manual car

• Locked thread