Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
getfuct
Jun 20, 2006

What kinda fucked up tour is this?
My wife and I are looking into replacing her 2013 Kia Optima SXL with something a little bit bigger. We have a toddler now, and may be adding another drooling poo poo machine to the family sooner or later. After spending weeks of whittling down our options, we've come to one conclusion:

we both really love and want a Dodge Durango R/T

We cross shopped it with an Explorer Sport, Kia Sorento SXL 3.3l, and an Acura MDX(which ended up being the runner up to the durango)

We found an example locally that 100% fits the bill. Being that this is for my wife she wants a very specific set of specifications for a replacement vehicle... Roomy(3 row), Sporty, the ability to add rear entertainment, black or dark grey. The local example is a 2015 local trade that was only in service for about a month and has a little over 5k miles. It's "dodge certified preowned" which tacks on an additional 3 month/3,000 mile warranty as well as bumping the powertrain warranty to 7 year/100k.

This will also be the most expensive vehicle we've ever bought as a family. Our payments should be right between $625-$650, depending on APR, but this is only $25-$50/month more than what i pay for the kia(We pay additional every month to help bring down the principal)

All i'm asking for is a sanity check. is this a bad idea? are we making a financial gently caress up? or is the dodge a great vehicle in it's segment and we're going to have a ton of fun on roadtrips hauling rear end around the state/country...

edit:
a few notes:

yes, we are upside down on the kia by a few thousand which doesn't give me too much indigestion right now...
pricing on the Durango is $38,400. it's optioned with sunroof, 2nd row captains chairs, 2nd row center console, 8.4AN nav system

getfuct fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3213538&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

You're probably better off asking in this thread.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
I just looked at Dodge's website and it's saying that they have 0% for 72 months now. If it's anything like Fords deal it was the first 4 credit levels. CPO might not be qualify for that, but if you put it on 72 months and pay more on the principal the monthy's might be cheaper.

Edit: whoops, that's only for charger and grand caravan, however they still have 0% for 60 months on the Durango.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

getfuct posted:

We found an example locally that 100% fits the bill. Being that this is for my wife she wants a very specific set of specifications for a replacement vehicle... Roomy(3 row), Sporty, the ability to add rear entertainment, black or dark grey. The local example is a 2015 local trade that was only in service for about a month and has a little over 5k miles.

The question I'd be asking is why someone felt the need to dump it after having it for only a month. That's not even long enough to get repo'd. Someone must have had reason to seriously hate the gently caress out of it to go through all of the hassle of shuffling cars again after putting up with it for only 4 weeks.

At least check the build date and make sure it wasn't built like the Friday afternoon before Christmas or something.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I drive a Durango (loaded with everything, just a 6cyl) every day. I pay nothing for it.

I would pay to NOT drive it. gently caress this horrid piece of poo poo. The pedals are lovely, the brakes are super over powered yet still suck, the transmission is loving horrible, the suspension is poo poo, I've driven literal ships with more precise steering, the cargo room is god drat laughable with third row (four people with backpacks in the rear fills it entirely), the headlights are poo poo, the front seat room feels great for about five minutes before you realize that your legs are hitting sharp plastic, and lastly it just feels like a bloated piece of poo poo with no redeeming value. In 35K, through two Durangos (a 15 and a 16) I can solidly say I would let an NFL kicker tee up my balls every day for a year before I would buy one.

Uconnect isn't horrible though.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

You don't NEED a new or different car. An Optima is perfectly fine for a family of 3 or 4. You're already upside down on the first car. Buying a new one does nothing for your children or your family's future, so really it's a decision of what you truly value.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

meatpimp posted:

You don't NEED a new or different car. An Optima is perfectly fine for a family of 3 or 4. You're already upside down on the first car. Buying a new one does nothing for your children or your family's future, so really it's a decision of what you truly value.

I might disagree depending on the new car.

Ignoring finance and going strictly on vehicle choice, though? Don't get a loving Dodge, OP.

And accounting for the cost you're most likely better off with your current vehicle regardless. If you really need the extra space, consider an older vehicle. Or make do for the time being and get a bigger car once you actually need it and owe less on your current vehicle.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
If you want a new car - go for it.

Just avoid the Durango.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You know if you finance over 132 months, you could probably get a lightly used rolls royce phantom for the same payment. the long wheelbase model, of course, because you have kids.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

getfuct posted:

My wife and I are looking into replacing her 2013 Kia Optima SXL with something a little bit bigger. We have a toddler now, and may be adding another drooling poo poo machine to the family sooner or later.

Just to be clear, this is the main thing. At the moment, you are a couple with 1 child, you absolutely do not need a 3-row SUV, even taking into account hauling sports equipment or whatever once the kid is a little older.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Enourmo posted:

Just to be clear, this is the main thing. At the moment, you are a couple with 1 child, you absolutely do not need a 3-row SUV, even taking into account hauling sports equipment or whatever once the kid is a little older.

No poo poo. Take a bit less poo poo with you when you go out. Bam. Sedan is fine.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
It's not even a small sedan. People cram their entire fat families into far smaller cars.

Edit: to be on topic, sounds like an awful financial decision as well

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

In india they get a family that size onto a moped.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
OP buy a moped.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Adiabatic posted:

OP buy a moped.

And then let an NFL kicker hit you in the balls.

Emushka
Jul 5, 2007
Dodge? pffft, last time I checked the 911 still had a back seat?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What you should do is buy two Durangos.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rhyno posted:

What you should do is buy two Durangos.

buy 3, then you'll have at least 1 that runs at any given time.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Never trade a car you are upside-down in. Keep paying on it until you are at least even on the loan. Don't trade a car you are upside-down in for another vehicle known to have terrible depreciation.

Keep paying on your loan. Don't buy a Dodge Durango.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Enourmo posted:

I have two kids and a BMW compact.

If op wants space he would be buying an old V70 or a Legacy wagon, not an suv at all. For some ungodly reason he just really wants a Durango.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm guessing like the other 300 times this has come up, he's never going to post here again, and he's going to ignore us and buy it anyways at 8.9% interest. Then in a year he'll be back asking why the lemon he bought is always broken.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011

Fucker in charge of you fucking fucks

Well in that case how about a 2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X with 74,000km. What mechanical issues would I have to look forward to?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
It has already been said but that would be a stupid loving idea. Why do people think they need to have a humongous car payment the rest of their lives? That is more than my house payment. I guess that is why I will be paying off my 30 year home loan after less than 10 years on a lovely teaching salary. Save up a few thousand bucks and buy a station wagon with cash (that is what I did). So what if there are repairs you should be saving the $650 a month you would be wasting on a piece of poo poo Durango.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Asking if you should buy a new Chrysler product should be included in the AI forum rules. (factory zipties)

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

MustardFacial posted:

Well in that case how about a 2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X with 74,000km. What mechanical issues would I have to look forward to?

That's a fine car and aside from mediocre fuel mileage it'll last long enough to possibly pass on to your child as a beater.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Have you considered getting a roof rack and/or a hitch for your kia? You could put a Thule cargo thing and like, double your cargo capacity if you're planning on trips with the family. Or you could get a small utility trailer for a few hundred bucks. You don't actually need a car that big, man.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Buy the loving Durango already. It's not like you're going to take the sane advice this thread offers.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

OP hasn't posted since the OP, i don't think they're coming back.

If I'm wrong, though... OP, you should buy a White diesel Ford Excursion for efficient family hauling.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

No No No, OP needs the practicality of a truck and the speed of a turbo flat four. He needs to get him/herself a White Subaru Baja turbo

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.
Just get a Miata op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
I have spent a fair amount of time in an optima and it's a drat fine bus. If you need something with more space then a fwd volvo wagon will be the best choice and I would trust an off lease volvo with kids and would not have the same faith in a durango

• Locked thread