Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Commie NedFlanders posted:

That's the whole point. Marriage is a commitment, a vow, a decision that you choose about your future knowing full well how unpredictable the future is. That's why marriage vows have the "better or worse, richer or poorer, etc"

Marriage is a commitment to something above and beyond yourself. You sacrifice your own stupid selfish sociopathic drive to win at imaginary games for the sake of someone else.

Marriage isn't about the best strategy to maximize your own personal Win, it's precisely the opposite, it's about overcoming this childish and selfish lifestyle and committing yourself to something bigger than your own daily feels.

Like you say a longterm "vow" requires you to pledge to do something you can not possibly know will be correct/good/comfortable in all and any circumstances. And love is an emotion, you can't forcibly uphold an emotion. What if you don't love your wife any more? Get a divorce yes. But to rephrase: the entire idea is to take a conscious decision to cling to person for the rest of your life no matter what.
Does.not sound healthy to me.

If people want to get married fine, but there is a reason for the
50%? divorce rate. I would argue this rate would be even higher if the church did not indoctrinate people with "what God has brought together can't be separated by humans" or however they say in English. That is practically blackmailing and I am sure there are marriages that only hold for the reason of "I committed, it is a sin to separate".

But assumption aside, taking such a vow to me is an unnecessary thing. I have been with my GF for 5 years, we moved in together after 4 and I love her, but I am honest to myself. I don't know if that will be the case in 5, 10 or 20 years. Why should we get married?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hopper posted:

Like you say a longterm "vow" requires you to pledge to do something you can not possibly know will be correct/good/comfortable in all and any circumstances. And love is an emotion, you can't forcibly uphold an emotion. What if you don't love your wife any more? Get a divorce yes. But to rephrase: the entire idea is to take a conscious decision to cling to person for the rest of your life no matter what.
Does.not sound healthy to me.

If people want to get married fine, but there is a reason for the
50%? divorce rate. I would argue this rate would be even higher if the church did not indoctrinate people with "what God has brought together can't be separated by humans" or however they say in English. That is practically blackmailing and I am sure there are marriages that only hold for the reason of "I committed, it is a sin to separate".

But assumption aside, taking such a vow to me is an unnecessary thing. I have been with my GF for 5 years, we moved in together after 4 and I love her, but I am honest to myself. I don't know if that will be the case in 5, 10 or 20 years. Why should we get married?

Look at this bitch that can't commit

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

Darth123123 posted:

I never get this. like a whole 12 months you lasted, before cheating/fighting/etc ensued. did you not even know this person and said hey, clocks tickin!

I think the question is not what age is appropriate but at what point in the relationship, however clearly there is a minimum base age (it ain't 30)

Young and dumb my friend. Young and dumb...

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

SpicyMeatSandwich posted:

I married a dog at 18

wouldn't, wouldn't

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
how many people who got married in their twenties are now having bitter divorces in their 30s

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

I've been married longer than some of you have been alive (18 years last month), got no regrets, but I can see it's not for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
My wife just brought me a soft boiled egg and some pita bread to eat because she knew that I was working on something and hadn't eaten. It was very sweet of her and it is the sort of thing that makes being married nice. I imagine though it is different if you are married to an American since most Americans are self centered brats.

• Locked thread