Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Every scene in every city is the same thing: a bunch of whiny hipsters with middling musicianship posting on Facebook about how you need to support local music and inviting me to every lovely gig they play in all the lovely bars that only ever get attended by other musicians.

I'd support local music if it was any good. But it all sounds the same and I'm not going to support it jus because.

gently caress off with your kickstarter album. How about this, actually play some gigs get a following and get a label to front you the money rather than begging me. Learn to write some songs that don't sound like Bright Eyes or the Decembrists or what the poo poo ever, and learn how to play your loving guitars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Hollis Brownsound posted:

Every scene in every city is the same thing: a bunch of whiny hipsters with middling musicianship posting on Facebook about how you need to support local music and inviting me to every lovely gig they play in all the lovely bars that only ever get attended by other musicians.

I'd support local music if it was any good. But it all sounds the same and I'm not going to support it jus because.

gently caress off with your kickstarter album. How about this, actually play some gigs get a following and get a label to front you the money rather than begging me. Learn to write some songs that don't sound like Bright Eyes or the Decembrists or what the poo poo ever, and learn how to play your loving guitars.

I saw on YouTube that bands just shouldn't give a gently caress because no one that comes to their shows gives a gently caress so gently caress it

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp
I'm so old I don't even recognize what the OP is angry about. Cover bands still exist.

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
sorry you live in a place with lovely local music op

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
those aren't cover bands..those are the actual bands grown old and unrecognizable but they can still play their old music

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

all the bands you like are local bands somewhere op

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer
I was at a local venue oh about 20 years ago and the band's bassist laid down the absolute slappiest funkiest poo poo I've ever experienced in my life.

I don't like live music events anymore or basically any music at all because nothing can compare to that magical night at Instant Karma. Also the music is universally too loud at live concerts. Hearing damage is cumulative and irreversible, guys.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
great. thanks for sharing op

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
local music is good when real bands come to town as a part of their tour

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

all the bands you like are local bands somewhere op

But Ronnie James is dead. I GUESS HELL IS LOCAL SOMEWHERE :regd10:

old wooden ships
Jan 22, 2015
When I was a lot younger, about 10 years ago, I was the weird bass player in a band. It was composed of myself (18), the singer (23), the guitarist (42ish), and the drummer (38). It was really loving weird and for some reason all of our songs were "bass driven" songs, like I was les claypool or some poo poo. Before I joined that band I didn't know poo poo about music, I learned how to play by reading The Idiots Guide to Bass or some poo poo. We were local famous as being an awesome local band. HOLY gently caress people are loving retarded.

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

gizmojumpjet posted:

I was at a local venue oh about 20 years ago and the band's bassist laid down the absolute slappiest funkiest poo poo I've ever experienced in my life.

I don't like live music events anymore or basically any music at all because nothing can compare to that magical night at Instant Karma. Also the music is universally too loud at live concerts. Hearing damage is cumulative and irreversible, guys.

that's what earplugs are for

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

The Whole Internet posted:

that's what earplugs are for

then you can't hear the music

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

ZombieParts posted:

then you can't hear the music

Good idea all around, really.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Our local music is pretty good. This is my old roommate's band and it's up there with any other examples of this genre I can find

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSsutY7Pkmw

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

austin is the best city since it has all that live music

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

Aesop Poprock posted:

Our local music is pretty good. This is my old roommate's band and it's up there with any other examples of this genre I can find

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSsutY7Pkmw

You could have just said "Progressive Elevator". Thanks for getting my dog to bark you gently caress.

Pox
Feb 16, 2015

where do you live though?

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Pox posted:

where do you live though?

Shittsburgh PA

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

your stalin mustache must get you laid at least twice a night

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

That explains it. Go to Philly where you'll find all the artsy east coast individuals who couldn't afford a plane ticket to Austin, TX.

old wooden ships
Jan 22, 2015

Macnult posted:

That explains it. Go to Philly where you'll find all the artsy east coast individuals who couldn't afford a plane ticket to Austin, TX.

I get a vibe from you. A vibe of a shitfuck that lives in a shithole like philly that wants everyone to like xir's(or whatever the gently caress) lovely culture and really thinks their area produces good music. No fucker, your area sucks rear end.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TwoFire posted:

You could have just said "Progressive Elevator". Thanks for getting my dog to bark you gently caress.

don't blast retard music videos idiots on the internet show you you gently caress

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

Aesop Poprock posted:

don't blast retard music videos idiots on the internet show you you gently caress

that was almost cohesive. unlike your lovers roommates music

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm1ZAbfS3SE

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i grew up in the middle of nowhere surrounded by cow fields and woods and somehow we produced a kick rear end punk band that got big in dc

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TwoFire posted:

that was almost cohesive. unlike your lovers roommates music

i wish we had been lovers, now i'm filled with regret

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

Aesop Poprock posted:

i wish we had been lovers, now i'm filled with regret

some day, some time in a dentists' office, you'll hear his muzak and burst into tears.

killaer
Aug 4, 2007
i say it once and i say it again: music is despicable

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
any sort of regular participation in or patronization of the local music scene is generally more about getting laid than it is about the music

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

a 40 year old artist on my facebook complained about "posers." dude you're 40 years old

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
I think the worst part of my local music experience was watching a ton of late 90s metal/industrial acts attempt to ride that nin/Manson/slipknot wave but ultimately flounder, not get anywhere and go back to day jobs. One band almost made it then broke up just as they were getting some attention. LA is a short hop next state away so there was always tons of talk about somebody big possibly checking out a show and hopefully it'll lead to something, then nope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WcnrbBWb2M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvXvVflFWag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXYy5DECKGY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v67ZyuUiHfc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs10zoe-rTE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoesGtsQHLc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBk3-SMNJPE

I know I'm missing a heavy hitter or two that's escaping my mind. Late 90's Phoenix metal was a fun trip. Disturbed opened for one of the bands I posted above in the year before "The Sickness" was released.

Cyberball 2072 fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Sep 17, 2015

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Some whiny hipsters with middling musicianship are actually very good.

I like Krill pretty well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9vIj4u8mvY

Cyberball 2072 posted:

I think the worst part of my local music experience was watching a ton of late 90s metal/industrial acts attempt to ride that nin/Manson/slipknot wave but ultimately flounder, not get anywhere and go back to day jobs. One band almost made it then broke up just as they were getting some attention. LA is a short hop next state away so there was always tons of talk about somebody big possibly checking out a show and hopefully it'll lead to something, then nope.

If you want to make it, you go to L.A. You don't wait for L.A. to go to you.

Ork of Fiction fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Sep 17, 2015

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Ork of Fiction posted:

If you want to make it, you go to L.A. You don't wait for L.A. to go to you.

Yea, I hosed up what I was trying to say, there would be an LA gig every 4-6 months that would lead to nothing.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
I have to travel to London to take advantage of their local music scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

hahah I live in melbourne, there's a vast difference between one of the greatest cities for music in the world and your podunk american backwater trash town

• Locked thread