Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
milkingmycow
Mar 28, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I'm in the basement with a pile of computers and the red stapler. gently caress y'all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
get a model m keyboard and annoy all your coworkers with really loud clacking

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!
It must really suck to have to hold in your farts or do the 'clench up and try to quietly let it out' thing when you work in one of those cubicle farms. I'm lucky enough to have what amounts to my own small office, so I can just close the door and let 'em rip whenever I need to. Is it like a relationship, where after a while you get to the point that neither of you care so you just blast them out whenever the need arises? Or are you stuck in permanent fart holding hell?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Mentalizer posted:

It must really suck to have to hold in your farts or do the 'clench up and try to quietly let it out' thing when you work in one of those cubicle farms. I'm lucky enough to have what amounts to my own small office, so I can just close the door and let 'em rip whenever I need to. Is it like a relationship, where after a while you get to the point that neither of you care so you just blast them out whenever the need arises? Or are you stuck in permanent fart holding hell?

I work with a bunch of old white men, there are no women for me to impress here so IDGAF

20matar
Jul 9, 2013

70fugir

Zombie Boat posted:

Hey thread, ZB here. Just wanted to post to tell you I stepped away from my 'cube to hang out on the toilet (gettin paid makin stank, ya mean) and when I'm not doing poo poo posting while posting poo poo me and my cubbie sit and just trash the American dream. HAIL SATAN your tax dollars at work.

This message brought to you by the council for better threads.

"There's no better way to earn a dime than taking a poo poo on company time". I'm a humble civil servant. I find the cube life really loving soul draining, but it's good to just sit on my rear end all day long unless I actively look for more mobile things to do. Beats working in a factory or something.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

CISMALES DID 9-11 posted:

get a model m keyboard and annoy all your coworkers with really loud clacking

customising your workspace with a slightly different kind of keyboard is about the whitest, saddest thing in the universe

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
tiny acts of rebellion

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

lol if you have any personal belongings in your cubicle and can't just walk away from the job at any instant without hauling stupid poo poo around

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

work is bullshit. we've all been duped it's all a lie

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The Brown Menace posted:

lol if you have any personal belongings in your cubicle and can't just walk away from the job at any instant without hauling stupid poo poo around

You got that right

I also cover my cubicle with work related documents so it looks like I really like what I'm doing. When in reality I just tape random pages on the walls and highlight random sentences

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
lol OP you have to work. that sucks

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fried Watermelon posted:

You got that right

I also cover my cubicle with work related documents so it looks like I really like what I'm doing. When in reality I just tape random pages on the walls and highlight random sentences

I just never throw anything away, my desk is just a pile of outdated stuff and scratch paper.

Also my desk is literally just a fold up table, so I have nowhere else to put it.

Gunuku
Sep 26, 2007

I'm a goddamn marvel of modern science.
Lipstick Apathy
I read a lot of Dilbert books in middle school and cubicle life looked really zany and appealing to me and helped influence me choosing IT for a career and now I sit in a cubicle all day.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

scott adams does it again

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Move to Japan, then proceed to not get a job as a salaryman because nobody will hire a Foreign Devil.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
lol at the idea of leaving cubicle work for something else, yeah what else is there? more cubicle work, its all the same poo poo

open office designs are the worst

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

hey jim hoping to see you at the interoffice ballgame this weekend, your bringing the soda right cool cool you working on that monthly sales report awright go get em tiger rawr haha *segways to the next cubicle farm*

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

When I poo poo post in an open office environment it just looks and sounds like I am writing a VERY important email

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
At least my cubicle has high walls :unsmith:

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Pumroy posted:

hey jim hoping to see you at the interoffice ballgame this weekend, your bringing the soda right cool cool you working on that monthly sales report awright go get em tiger rawr haha *segways to the next cubicle farm*

ya every office I've worked in there's always a softball game as an excuse to drink and talk about work

lol at people talking about work outside of work, gently caress that

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Confounding Factor posted:

lol at the idea of leaving cubicle work for something else, yeah what else is there? more cubicle work, its all the same poo poo

drat this guy pulling a kenshiro on the poor drones

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Brown Menace posted:

knew a coworker that had to cart her entire loving garden of plants out when she got let go. she also had a desk lamp, tons of pictures, and a bunch of other poo poo.

but ya I agree with you.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
I spend barely any time in it but it's where I hide my liquor

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

the corporate bitching thread in BFC is really one of the best threads on SA.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
i didnt want to work in a cubicle so i am in culinary school in order to make $10/hr for the rest of my life lol kill me

Vulture
Aug 7, 2012

Full Metal Jackass posted:

Also op when you get a cube job please don't be one of the guys who eats lunch alone in his cube.
Nearly all of my coworkers eat lunch in their cubicles for some reason. They all have those little glass "door" things that are supposed to prevent people from bothering them, but lol as if that actually works. Obviously they are used more for privacy but whatever.

I take my lunch break outside whenever possible.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

not sure if it's sadder to strew your cubicle with personal belongings or to have a lovely quick lunch in the office because you have work to do

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I work in an open plan office and I wish I had a cubicle. Also if I had a cubicle I would fill it with carbon monoxide and die like I long to, desperately.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

50% of my job now is to sit in my cubicle and write emails complaining about how outsourcing all of our contracted work to India has made the quality of our brand and technology things shittier

the other 50% is spent awaiting the day when i, too, am outsourced

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Sundae posted:

I opened my big loving mouth today and created a load of trouble for myself and the maintenance group. :suicide:

My department is trying to order a tap and die set for some specialized screw threads we have on a piece of equipment. Currently, if they get cross-threaded or stripped, we have to send them back out to the manufacturer and lose access to the equipment for a month while the manufacturer redoes the threading. This should be a no-brainer because it's just a tool, right?

Quality Assurance and Regulatory wants a full vendor review on the tool company, on-site inspection, GMP Contractor approval, them to be in our Ariba purchasing system, etc. Then they want us to validate the tool and develop a cleaning program and preventative maintenance program for it because an SOP says all equipment must have these, and all tools are equipment.

That's when I lose it and say, "Are you people insane? It's a tool. It's no different from a loving (yes, swore in a meeting) hammer, and you don't see us doing cleaning validation on our hammers, do you?"

*Audible gasp from our regulatory rep*

We're now opening an investigation into why our hammers, screwdrivers, tape measures, etc, are all outside our cleaning and preventative maintenance/calibration programs. :smith:

Pulvis Sumus
Jul 27, 2011
I spend most of my day getting inane tasks handed over to me from other people who are too incompetent and lazy to do their work. Jokes on them, I too am lazy and incompetent. This is ignoring the small percentage of the workers in my office who live to work, micromanage every single detail of their work day, and put in an incredible amount of overtime. i don't know who has it worse - those fucks who are deluding themselves into thinking that's a healthy existence, or the rest of us who are yearning for the sweet release of death and/or a job that doesn't involve cubicles.

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

90's/early 2000's movies and pop culture always portrayed cubicle work as a dreary existence. I bought into it back then, but now that I'm older, I know that it was all a lie. Cubicle work is the dream. I work face to face with people all day and I hate my life so much. How can I get a cubicle job, one where I typically don't have to interact with people, unless it's to tell dick jokes around the water cooler? Anybody have suggestions? I imagine more and more cubicle work is being outsourced these days, so this question might be hard to answer.

I stand around the water cooler and lean in to suggest co-workers want to have gay sex with someone.

EDIT:
But yeah, cubicles are anything from awful data entry to call center to regular IT to programmers.

Do you just want to sit in a cubicle and wait for 5pm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Tech support op, and its because of NOT going to school

• Locked thread