Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is most annoying about this american life
the pregnant pauses
the hushed tones
gay background music
white people
View Results

• Locked thread
Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I like River to river and Talk of Iowa. They are usually good shows.

And Charity Nebbe is kinda hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS
Snap judgement is absolute loving trash, they pump out boring nothing stories about boring nobody people that have absolutely no intrigue, but think that having a little bit of dj beats between the segments makes them "hip". It's the program for white people to listen to so they can claim to be open to black culture.

Radiolab is overproduced but at least they manage to find interesting stories. The biggest thing loving it up is Robert krolwich, that old ugly gently caress is nothing but an anti-scientific Christian "devils advocate" and has no right to be stinking up a science show. He's obviously there just to pander to Christian conservatives because heaven forbid a major US media company has a science show that is actually scientific.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Whats wrong with RObert Krulwich? The dude has done a ton of really respectable work for programs like NOVA and Frontline, among a whole lot of others. Aside from the passion for terrible sound effect he prominently displays on Radiolab, dude seems alright.

SKELETON GHOST
Jan 11, 2015

by Ralp
More like Diane Rheumatoid Arthritis

Opera Bitch
Sep 28, 2004

Let me lull you to sleep with my sweet song!

Fart Pipe posted:

WNPR guy here too and I didnt realize Colin was local only but yea its usually pretty good. I too have a crush on Chion, shes awesome. One of my friends is friends with her and hes super lucky.

I like the food smooze though because that Chris Prospery (sp?) guy always sounds like hes high as poo poo and laughs at everything and it makes me laugh.
Chris sounds like he is some 20 something, tiny wiry guy, but I met him I at the Faith Middle Champagne Dinner Dance two years ago and in reality he is a heavy set 40 something year old. He is just as amped in person as on the show though: I've never heard or seen anyone else who is so enthralled by food as him.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
Sometimes I hear commercials for that "Q" show on NPR and I remember that dude Jian Ghomeshi

i believe a goon once said "It's gonna get messy like Jian Ghomeshi", and i say that out loud in a rapper voice when I hear that commercial.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

City of Tampa posted:

Sometimes I hear commercials for that "Q" show on NPR and I remember that dude Jian Ghomeshi

i believe a goon once said "It's gonna get messy like Jian Ghomeshi", and i say that out loud in a rapper voice when I hear that commercial.

Didn't he get arrested for raping a bunch of people?

Troutful
May 31, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frChs4i4qWI

naem
May 29, 2011

Ronwayne posted:

This sounds unimaginably better than my current situation. How do I become a upper-lower middle class white person parody of a human being?

Pursue a liberal arts degree or two with full nerd passion and then luck into one of the few jobs in your field by being in the right place at the right time (as opposed to wealth/nepotism like everyone else you now know) then realize how fortunate and naive you were- and live your life in a quiet panic as you mingle with people for whom your sole source of income is a hobby

naem
May 29, 2011

Alternatively be an attractive(ish) 20 something woman involved in said nerd activity/area of study and marry money- usually a much older gross guy- and if you don't get famous while young turn into a domineering 40 something rage queen adjunct professor or nonprofit fundraiser who rules with an iron fist

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I used to like Radiolab, but then they started getting way too pseudo-sciencey. I swear they have a rolodex of doctors on speeddial they know will agree and validate whatever outlandish conclusion they've come to that week. Also the special effects nonsense.

This American Life is good. I could listen to Ira Glass read ingredients off of a cereal box for hours.

Serial was good, but you knew they were never going to reach a real conclusion. Probably ruined the lives of everyone involved. Again.

As a depressed white 30 something, Johnathan Goldstien's depressed white 40 something stories really speak to me.

SKELETON GHOST
Jan 11, 2015

by Ralp

SKELETON GHOST posted:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Donald trump *hushed laughter* Bernie Sanders *loud praise* Michelle obama *silent whispers* Barack the Islamic shock Hussein supah Allah obama *roaring applause* Sarah Palin *snickers* Hillary Clinton *light frustrated sighs* George bush *stampeding liberals*

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

SKELETON GHOST posted:

lol

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

naem posted:

Pursue a liberal arts degree or two with full nerd passion and then luck into one of the few jobs in your field by being in the right place at the right time (as opposed to wealth/nepotism like everyone else you now know) then realize how fortunate and naive you were- and live your life in a quiet panic as you mingle with people for whom your sole source of income is a hobby

Those all sound like good problems to have. I'm pretty sure I only still have this job because I remind my boss of her dead son.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

SKELETON GHOST posted:

owns

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

SKELETON GHOST posted:

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

ethanol posted:

Donald trump *hushed laughter* Bernie Sanders *loud praise* Michelle obama *silent whispers* Barack the Islamic shock Hussein supah Allah obama *roaring applause* Sarah Palin *snickers* Hillary Clinton *light frustrated sighs* George bush *stampeding liberals*

actually NPR tries really really hard to pretend that Bernie doesn't exist.

http://berniepost.com/2015/09/npr-apologizes-failing-mention-sanders-democratic-presidential-contender/

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SKELETON GHOST posted:

Rainbow Daesh
May 19, 2015

by Ralp

idk why

just hit rock bottom
Oct 17, 2008

I'm walking out in a force-ten gale.
Snap Judgement is okay, Glynn Washington just needs to relax. His hosting interludes are way too over-scripted and cheesy.

My local station added the Takeaway to its weekday programming which pissed me off. John Hockenberry is an obnoxious doofus and now he's taking up the airwaves during what would otherwise be my peak NPR listenjng time :arghfist:

Dogthing
May 30, 2003

or is it.... just a dog??
Grimey Drawer
I like On Point a lot. Tom Ashbrook is a really level-headed and inquisitive guy. The Friday News Roundups are good. I like Jack Beatty too even though he has this tendency to write articles about things and then starts reciting them when he gets asked a question

i think Diane Rehm is a trooper and and has a decent enough show and her voice doesn't bother me

Only beef is that my local station is run by UF students. they all sound like they're 14 and they gently caress up the transitions a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000
Wendy Wham is the worst DJ ever.

• Locked thread