Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I vote for Plan Rousing Speech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

If by rousing speech you mean Cry of Doom then sure

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Sneak in, talk to slaves and murder a few guards on the way out. Repeat to other groups until slaves can be encouraged to revolt.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Arouse with speech!

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
If Elder Scrolls has taught me anything it's that we should Always Be Stealth Archery-ing.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I was going to say it's a bad idea to go with Rousing Speech because we've had bad luck so far and this time that might actually cause us trouble, but let's go for it.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Rousing speech it is!

One more thing I forgot: we did make headway towards accomplishing one of our Beliefs (the one related to getting all possible allies), meaning that we get another Persona artha. Also, this plan is so brash that we might as well help ourselves to some Fate artha for that.

Astride the Beast and her companions make their way through the woods, until they begin hearing the sounds of Cutter Slaves hard at work pulling trees. They're not literally uprooting trees by simply lifting them, but pulling the trees from the ground using ropes and poo poo, I guess.

Astride the Beast orders her companions to wait for a while as she emerges from a hillock overlooking the clearing in which the Cutter Slaves are working. In addition to the Cutter Slaves (about two dozen of them) and their Whipmaster (grrrr) a group of six legionnaires (most of them with bows, ordered to shoot any slave that tries to make a run for it) are present in the clearing. Astride the Beast clears her voice, all eyes in the clearing on her, and addresses the crowd:

"Friends in the Chattel! Look at yourselves! You toil and cower, and to what end? So that the Great and Black, those whose hand bears the lash, may enjoy the fruits of your labor! I say no more! gently caress those guys! Join me! Today is the day the Chattel strike back at those who would enslave them!"

Our imaginary GM likes cheesy over-the-top rhetoric, so they're giving us a +1D advantage. However, we've yet to learn the Oratory skill (although we're getting there!) so we'll just default to our Will B3 versus a double obstacle. Average Will among these guys is... well, what do you know? According to the book Goblins have a Will of B1 on average! So, B4, Obstacle 2!

Oratory (Beginner's Luck): 4d6t4 1. Well, gently caress our luck. We've failed to impress the legionnaires, and they immediately start to take aim on us. Thankfully, our dozen or so friends have got our backs, so we've got the strength in numbers.

Starting situation: we've got hunting bows, so do our friends, and so do our enemies, so we're both effectively at the same range. We're currently at Extreme range, meaning all of our attacks are at Obstacle 3. However, our enemies are in a clearing and we're in a forest, so our enemies are at a further +2 Ob to attack.

Range & Cover is the third type of scripted combat in Burning Wheel, focused entirely on skirmishing and using Ranged weapons. Each exchange we script three maneuvers, which are all about vying for position, and the winner gets to take shots against the enemy team.

Range is abstract, and the ranges are Out of Range, Extreme Range, Optimal Range and Too Close to Shoot. At Too Close to Shoot Range & Cover ends and Fight! begins. If one party is Out of Range and actually moves a Range band away from the opponent, they've now left the battle and the combat is over.

So, with all that out of the way: we're in a pretty good position, terrain-wise, and we probably want to keep it that way. However, our enemy also knows it, and odds are they are are going to try moving into the forest to negate our cover advantage. We script maneuvers, test them against our enemies' maneuvers, and if we win we get to spend successes to take actions, like shooting.

The actions for Range and Cover are as follows:
Close, Sneak In, Flank are all variations on the same Closing maneuver, but they use different attributes, namely Speed, Stealth and Tactics. If successful, it reduces the range by one.
Charge tests Steel and is always open-ended: it's recklessly running towards the enemy. In exchange for the open-ended nature of the test, your opponent always gets to shoot you, even if you win the test. (By the way, owing to their low steel, odds are the goblins won't do this)
Maintain is simply trying to maintain the distance, even if that means moving away from or towards them. Tests Speed.
Hold is planting our feet on the ground, letting our enemies come. The bad side is that the enemy always succeeds on their maneuver (closing in, withdrawing, whatever), but the good side is we always get to shoot. Tests Perception.
Withdraw is simply running away. It's tested at +2D Speed, but the cost is that even if we win any actions taken will cost two successes.
Fall Back tests Tactics, and it's basically the sound tactics versus of Withdraw.
Sneak Out tests Stealthy and is basically for retreating but sneakily.
Retreat tests Steel +1D and is open-ended. Retreating safely takes a lot of nerves.

So, owing to our better position, it's pretty likely our enemy is going to try to Close, running into the forest with us. We actually probably want to let them do that! Scripting Hold will give us one free volley of shots, and even if it'll even the odds, it'll also make it easier to shoot at them later.

Unless, of course, we just want to run away. It'd be in line with our Instinct (even though we do outnumber these guys), and it'd also save us from being potentially shot with arrows.

So, should we:
  • Let them come! Volley fire! Hold, Hold, Hold!
  • Let them into the forest, but maintain the distance in case they try closing into melee. Hold, Maintain, Maintain.
  • gently caress this poo poo, we're not ready for all this arrows flying around everywhere poo poo! Sneak Out, Sneak Out, Sneak Out!

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Oct 22, 2015

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Someday we'll learn how to be inspiring. :unsmith:

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
By trial and error, at this rate.

Hold, Hold, Hold

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Maintain means that if they move back we follow forward no matter what, right? I'm going to say we should Hold, Maintain, Maintain in case they keep advancing because melee might not be our best option just yet, but I'm worried about the prospect of them moving backwards and pulling us out of our cover in the woods.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Hold, Maintain, Maintain sounds like smart tactics as we have archers.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Yeah, we have the advantage atm, hold maintain Maintain

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I feel that if we allow them to run away, they might warn someone with more firepower and we might be' in trouble. I say we mantain, hold, mantain.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Hold hold hold

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
Hold, Maintain, Maintain.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

We're going Hold, Maintain, Maintain, while the goblins are going Close, Maintain, Close. Those buggers are trying to get into melee range!

First Volley!

Hold versus Close is Perception vs Speed. So, our Perception of B3 +12D for our friends Helping. The opposition consists of the Orc Whipmaster (with no ranged weapon) leading 6 goblins, so he'll roll his Speed of B4 +6D for his goblins helping.

Hold (Perception): 15d6t4 5 Just five successes for us! There's no way the opposition can beat that, right? Well, in case they win, we can still open-end the test and reroll those two sixes.
Close (Speed): 10d6t4 4 Thankfully, they get only four successes! We've won the test.

Close versus Hold resolves like this: our enemy moves close to us (meaning the Range changes to Optimal Range for all parties concerned). Because we won, we now get to spend our successes on shooting at the enemy, and because we scripted Hold we get an extra shot to divide among our team! Each member of the team can only take one shot. I'm going to ignore Obstacle modifiers for terrain and simply use the ones for range: for all intents and purposes, our enemies are now in the woods with us, so giving both sides cover penalties would simply make this a chore.

Firstly, Astride the Beast takes a shot: the Obstacle to hit at Optimal Range is 2, but we've got a poor quality bow, so it's Obstacle 3. Might as well spend one point of Persona Artha to add +1D to our test, and get ready to spend some Fate Artha on open-ending those dice. Bow: 5d6t4 3 Well, we hit! One of the goblins from the opposing team "volunteers" to take the hit on their chest, so let's first see if their armor prevents the attack! Armor: 3d6t4 1 It's a success, but the goblin's chest piece is reduced to 2D armor because of that 1 on their roll... no, wait a minute, a Hunting Bow has a VA (Versus Armor), of 1, so that should've been a 2D Armor roll. Eh, gently caress it, we'll say that it was the successful die that failed, so the goblin gets hit in the chest as the arrow pierces their Armor!

IMS for ranged weapons is determined with a Die of Fate, but extra successes over Obstacle can be used to modify the DoF. Here goes: Die of Fate (Hunting Bow): 1d6 1 Well, that sucks! With a 1, the Hunting Bow only deals an Incidental Hit, which is a B5 wound... which is a Light wound for the Goblin! The Goblin immediately rolls steel versus pain, at -1D for the wound penalty! Steel: 3d6t4 0

No successes, so the goblin hesitates for their full 6 actions! The most gobliny thing to do when hesitating is, of course, to Run Screaming! So, that's what the goblin does.

Okay, so that's one of our attacks resolved! :v: 5 more shots from our Chattel friends, who also have a B4 Bow Skill. Oddly enough, their bows are better quality than ours, so they're at Obstacle 2 to hit.

VOLLEY FIRE: 4d6t4 4 4d6t4 1 4d6t4 1 4d6t4 2 Wait, that was just four shots, so one more....
Bow: 4d6t4 2

Okay, so a total of 3 of our Chattel friends got hits in. We'll assume that different goblins volunteered to take each hit in. The one who rolled 4 successes is obviously saving up their extra successes over Obstacle to add +1 to the DoF to determine damage. Let's se how many of those hits get blocked by armor:
Armor: 2d6t4 0 2d6t4 1 2d6t4 1
Just one hit gets through, but because it was the first one we rolled it's also the guy who got those whooping four successes! This guy is bad rear end!

So, to determine damage, they'll roll a DoF, +1 for using 2 Successes over Obstacle. Die of Fate (Hunting Bow): 1d6+1 4. A 4 on the Die of Fate is a Mark hit, which translates to a B7 Wound. For the goblin this is a Midi wound, which gives -2D per Wound! So, the goblin tests their Steel -2D. Steel: 2d6t4 1

One success means the goblin reduces their Hesitation due to pain by 1... so they hesitate for JUST 5 actions! They Run Screaming! Four goblins and a Whipmaster left!

So, that's the first Volley done!

Second Volley: We've both Scripted Maintain, so this is a simple Speed vs. Speed test. Our Speed B6 +12D for Helping versus the Whipmaster's Speed B4 +4D for their remaining Goblins!
Maintain (Speed): 18d6t4 6
Maintain (Speed): 8d6t4 4

We win once again! We're both being pretty conservative here, but we still have the upper hand simply by virtue of having more arrows in the air! We once again get six shots.

First, Astride the Beast rolls their B4 Bow versus an Obstacle of 3.
Bow: 4d6t4 2 And that's a bad miss.
Then, our five friends, who are actually much better at this:
Bow: 4d6t4 2 4d6t4 2 4d6t4 2 4d6t4 3 4d6t4 2

Holy poo poo, all five of them hit! There are exactly five targets, so let's say that each of them is hit! First four armor tests are for the goblins, the last is for the Whipmaster! However, one of our Chattel got a single success over Obstacle, so not only do they hit, but they can move the hit to a less armored location! Let's say we hit one of the goblins in the knee! Armor: 2d6t4 1 2d6t4 1 2d6t4 2 1d6t4 0 2d6t4 1

Well, incidentally, only the goblin who got hit in the knee actually got hit. :v: So, let's see what happens!
Die of Fate (Hunting Bow): 1d6 2
A two, so another Light hit. The goblin tests Steel at -1D. (In case you didn't notice, these goblins have such a high hesitation that they will hesitate due to pain no matter how high they roll! They might just be able to lessen the amount of hesitation.) Steel: 3d6t4 2

So, one hit, one Goblin hesitates for 4 actions. They Run Screaming.

Volley the Third!
The Whipmaster is trying to Close in on Us, we're trying to Maintain the distance. Speed versus Speed. B6 +12D for Helping and B4 +3D for the remaining Goblins.
Maintain (Speed): 18d6t4 13 Holy poo poo. There's no way for the Whipmaster to beat that. Our entire team takes shots.
Bow: 4d6t4 2 Firstly, we don't hit, because our Bow sucks.
Secondly, all of our 12 Chattel take shots.
Bow: 4d6t4 0 4d6t4 2 4d6t4 3 4d6t4 2 4d6t4 2 4d6t4 1...
7 hits. Two hit less armored areas. We'll say those'll hit goblins in their shoulders. The three Goblins take two hits each, the Whipmaster takes a single hit (his Armor test is last).
Armor: 2d6t4 0 2d6t4 0 2d6t4 1 1d6t4 0 2d6t4 2 1d6t4 1...

So, to parse that:
The first goblin gets hit twice, his armor failing to protect him against either arrow.
The second goblin's armor prevents one hit, but fails to prevent another that hits their shoulder.
The third goblin is a bad rear end and his armor prevents all hits.
And finally, the Whipmaster takes an arrow in the chest, piercing through their armor!

So, first goblin, two hits: Die of Fate (Hunting Bow): 1d6 4 1d6 1 They take a Light and a Midi wound.
Second goblin, one hit: Die of Fate (Hunting Bow): 1d6 4 Midi wound.
Whipmaster: Die of Fate (Hunting Bow): 1d6 3 Which for them is a Light Wound.

There's no way in hell they'll succeed on their Hesitation tests. The goblins run away screaming (even the one who didn't get hit, because he thinks his friends have the right idea), while the Whipmaster falls to the ground, begging for mercy, an arrow jutting from his chest.

"No! Let me go! I promise I'll never whip another back if you let me go! Please!" he says, half screaming half yowling.

What do we do?
  • Show him mercy.
  • Give him a mercifully quick death.

And once that's done, I take we go and free the Cutter Slaves?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Hm, cutting the hand he holds the whip in off would be... Relatively merciful, for an orc. Not sure I actually personally want to vote for it myself, but it seems like there should be an option between "kill him" and "trust him to keep his word."

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The whipmaster is great and black right?

People's Elbow that jambaroni.

If he's not great and black then maybe there's something else we could figure out but I don't know what. Imprison him and get intel on the legion?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Also regardless of the situation can we pick up a better bow from the enemies? How are we a super commando in the Orc army without any gear?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Was he working with the Tree Cutters or the Goblins? If he was working with the Tree Cutters, ask them what is the most appropriate punishment since they are the ones that suffered under his leash. Maybe he was relatively merciful; maybe he was unnecessarily cruel and we get to see the people he has tormented tear him limb from limb.

If he was working wtih the Goblins I guess we're out of luck.

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
Just kill him. We need more skulls for our trophy rack.

Klingtron
Sep 10, 2011
Kill the whipmaster

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

We absolutely can (and should) steal a better bow from one of the goblins.

Just to make things more clear cut and simple (for now) the Whipmaster is a Great and Black. However, there are probably some born Chattel who also take on the lash, so dealing with those born into the Chattel who are implicit in the slavery of the Chattel might be something we may need to explore in the future.

The Whipmaster was working with the Cutter Slaves, but also in charge of the goblins. Mainly, though, he's an enforcer and slave-driver, not a military leader.

Also, adding a couple of more options to the original few, based on ideas thrown around:
  • Show him mercy in a very orcy way (say, cutting off his hand).
  • Leave his fate up to the Cutter Slaves.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Let the cutter slaves kill him.

Try to spin it into part of a deal where they join us though.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Leave his fate up to the Cutter Slaves.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
kill him and present his head to the cutter slaves as a gift

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Kill him. Gotta follow our beliefs.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

In case it wasn't obvious my vote is still to leave his fate in the Cutters' hands.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

It looks like the votes for killing the Whipmaster win. Probably using the axe we looted from the previous Whipmaster, we decapitate him, and present his head as a gift to the cutter slaves. As it lands in front of them, a few of the ones closest to it kick it around in anger.

"I have given you freedom. Do with it what you want. If you wish to make the Great and Black pay for what they have done, follow me."

This is a weird situation to me as a GM: does allowing for an Oratory test here go against the game's "Let it ride" rule (i.e. that the results of dice rolls hold and there's no retrying a roll for the same intent), but arguably the situation has changed enough to warrant a new roll. Again, the cutter slaves have an average Will of 1, so we'll roll our Will of B4 against an Obstacle 2. +1 Advantage Die from having just slain their Whipmaster.

Oratory (Beginner's Luck): 5d6t4 3

Three successes, which is enough to succeed. Only a few grumbling Cutter Slaves wander off, apparently not willing to pursue a life of fighting as a part of a slave uprising., while the others join you.

These guys are, however, not trained soldiers. We've just added around twenty laborers into our rebellion, but in combat they really can't do much beyond clawing and biting.

Firstly, should we return back to our new home or go on another slave-liberating raid?

If we choose to return home, what should we do first?
  • Get these Cutter Slaves equipped and get them training with one of the legion veterans.
  • Get our fancy new armor from Edge-Grinder and get him started with making us a new spear.
  • All of that can wait, throw a huge party in celebration of our triumphant return!

Speaking of training new skills: as I have mentioned, learning new skills in Burning Wheel is just a matter of using a skill you don't have until you gain a number of tests equal to your aptitude! I've kind of lost track of the number of times we've tried (and mostly failed) to use Oratory, but I'm pretty sure we're getting close to our aptitude of 6, so yay, we'll soon open up a new skill.

But there are other ways to gain tests: namely practice and instruction.

Practice is a slow and arduous process: skills have a practice cycle which depends on the type of skill, but the shortest practice cycle is 1 month for martial, musical, physical and social skills. That means that to gain a single test in one of those skills through practice means that you have to practice the skill every day for the duration of a month! The time you need to spend each day on practice depends on the type of test you're looking for: 2 hours a day for a Routine test, 4 hours a day for a Difficult test, or 8 hours a day for a Challenging test.

Instruction is a much more complicated but also quicker process, but it hinges on having a good instructor with the Instruction skill. To quickly explain it: the Instructor makes a test with Obstacle dependent on the type of test being taught and the type of skill being taught. Success means that the learner gets that test in a number of days equal to the instructor's Will Aptitude plus the learner's Will Aptitude. Failure doesn't mean that the time is wasted: it simply means that the time counts as practice instead of Instruction.

This here is just to give you guys an idea of how long it might take for us to train our Cutter Slaves to be fully fledged warriors: they probably have average physical stats, so mostly B4, meaning that their Aptitude for most combat skills is going to be 6. This means 6 tests, or 6 months worth of training. Their Will exponents are B1, so even with a good instructor they're going to need at least 9 days to get a single test through Instruction.

Speaking of the Instruction skill, the game has a few variants of it: for an example, Child-Rearing counts as Instruction, but only when used on children. I'm kind of surprised there isn't a "Drill Sergeant" type of skill that counts as Instruction for the sake of training soldiers, but c'est la vie.

Anyway, that post turned out a lot longer than I expected, so I'll just stop now.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The cutter slaves are labourers. How about instead of trying to train to do combat which is against their nature, we have them pull trees and build fortifications or traps around the base or something?

While they're doing that we can do another raid for equipment or something.

If some of them want to go on raiding missions instead, that's fine. Maybe a 50% split between those?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
Return home and celebrate

• Locked thread