Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

The infantry overhaul isn't in today's patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Yeah reading comprehension screwed me there I guess

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL
E: sorry, just saw this was already stated

Infantry Overhaul is not yet released in this update. They are still testing it and have not released a date for this to be in the main build as of this post.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006
I got the impression from the patch notes that the Russian Airbourne sniper got a suppressed rifle, but it seems like only the scout class does. Maybe I misunderstood. :shrug:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

ubachung posted:

I got the impression from the patch notes that the Russian Airbourne sniper got a suppressed rifle, but it seems like only the scout class does. Maybe I misunderstood. :shrug:
The patch notes have a formatting error.
Scout gets the As Val (which is the carbine version of the VSS Vintorez) and the Sniper gets the SV-98 bolt action rifle

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

The addition of point-shooting with the AK-12 is really, really cool. I have no idea why few games do this but they all should start.

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

I'm sold. I have played Squad in a year, but if they open the playtest every weekend, I'll be there.

Had a very fun game today where two or three squads moved together the frontline a couple meters at a time, it took us 30 minutes to capture an enemy compound.

I just hope OWI don't roll back too many changes because of the corner pre-fire wankers that just want high KDR.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/MoiDawg/status/1672744444649435136?s=20

So... So good.

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

Good recap of the gunplay changes if you're completely out of the loop:

https://youtu.be/DVkE-34eF-8

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
https://joinsquad.com/2023/07/19/squad-v5-1-lands-on-july-26th/

We have a date for v5.1 but no actual notes until the 25th. Infantry rework will probably go live then? I'm guessing it's tentative on nothing breaking in the interim which is why no notes till last minute.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I doubt it. I think it's just going to be the new map.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Supposedly, 5.1 is just a new map or that with the introduction of Taiwan. The infantry rework is still ongoing with occasionally play tests to the point where we have several servers completely full.

Even for something incomplete, it's that fun.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
This might interest some here. We're mixing DCS with shooters, and because one pilot ditched, we're rescuing him in Ground Branch.

Yooper posted:

Update on Operation Inherent Resolve.

The latest mission involved bombing an ISIS ammo dump, dropping off an axle to Italian SOF, and providing on call CAS for coalition forces. The ammo dump was knocked out, a few ISIS tanks, as well as the CAS targets. This includes a gun run by A-10's on ISIS troops.

Unfortunately Rattler 1-2 had a fuel emergency and crash landed at Minakh helicopter field. Luckily, the British SAS have a team in the area...

We'll be taking a few of the AirGoons who play Ground Branch and they'll be doing a rescue mission to extract the pilot. A bit of meta, but trying to tie the campaign narratively where it makes sense.

Next weekend will be pre-planned strikes. So if you want to participate pop on in!

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Infantry Combat Overhaul is coming on 9/27. Conceptually I am very interested in a shooter that can emulate "realistic" firefight in terms of squad tactic, length of engagement, etc, but I am not sure if this implementation will have the desired effect. I watched some footage and it seems most firefight still play out the same. It's still mostly the PoV player running around and shooting targets as they appear. I've never seen "suppression" even used much outside of like the first PTE session where people were testing it out. FPS player are trained to only shoot at visible target, it'll take a long time to change (and that's if suppression actually "works").

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 23, 2023

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

pedro0930 posted:

Infantry Combat Overhaul is coming on 9/27. Conceptually I am very interested in a shooter that can emulate "realistic" firefight in terms of squad tactic, length of engagement, etc, but I am not sure if this implementation will have the desired affect. I watched some footage and it seems most firefight still play out the same. It's still mostly the PoV player running around and shooting targets as they appear. I've never seen "suppression" even used much outside of like the first PTE session where people are testing it out. FPS player are trained to only shoot at visible target, it'll take a long time to change (and that's if suppression actually "works").

I really enjoyed the playertests, it's really interesting how split the community seems to be on other message boards. My biggest complain was how unsatisfying the combat felt preupdate. It's not perfect but I'm really excited.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

It's way, way better. Personally, I wish they would have went with a more realistic HHL/Ground Branch approach where everything is relatively accurate and super lethal but the game is balanced by the amount of loadouts.

But aside from that, I think it'll greatly improve things but the game does need more content, more game modes and more stuff. It also sucks they kind of dropped earlier experimental game modes too.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Sep 25, 2023

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL
I stopped playing Squad and the player tests of the infantry overhaul brought me back. I am waiting for it to release to return to Squad. I found it to be game changing for the experience I want.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Update's out. Seems cool? Not sure all I've done is revive and get blown up

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Played 2 games. Scopes feel situational now. With 4x scope, close encounter with enemy suddenly appearing and getting fired upon makes it very disorienting to reacquire target after the transition to ADS. I think non-deliberate movement is discouraged because it feels like rear end to encounter enemy while moving. Takes very long to bring up your gun, and again, very disorienting when you are shot at while trying to ADS. I can tell it is the same for the enemy too, because often time I'll spot someone, and maybe they'll spot me at the same time or perhaps half a second slower, and there will be an awkward pause as both sides try to ADS. I think up to maybe 20m it will be better to just hip fire, though I couldn't test this theory well because in both game I was using LMG, and the suppression effect was so heavy I couldn't really see where my shots are landing.

I have some ideas I'd like to try as SL on how to coordinate, but definitely something I'll have to test out with a familiar group so there's less friction while I work out the details.

Edit: further testing, it feels like the problem actually lies in 4x scope being very slow. When you pull up magnified scope your entire screen gets blurry as hell until you get sighted. However, with 4x scope, and especially on MG, it takes a really long time to ADS, so your screen is just blurred this whole time. With 1x scope or iron sight the transition feels smoother. Also M249/Minimi specifically seems to use the MMG hipfire model, so is extra hard to control even at very close range. Something like the RPK seems to hipfire similar to a rifle and you can get decent accuracy with it.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 29, 2023

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Update is awesome but I think some things like the time-to-ads or the amount of blur needs to be fined tuned.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv7RK3FEbFI

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

I liked it, but why is the 4x so far away from my face?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Turkish forces is now on the PBE, as well as the new map for awhile now so I guess we can expect them to come out in maybe 2 weeks? So far it seems the special toy Turkish forces get is a 6-shot grenade launcher (I think they also still have the underbarrel launcher as well).

Now I have more time with ICO, it feels pretty good to play for my group. We usually do APC/IFV + 2-4 attached infantry, try to nab the HAT if possible. Go set up in the popular rush routes and wait for a few minutes, then flank behind the enemy defense flag with a rally based attack. Alternatively we do defense squad, fortify the position and build mortar/TOW if supply route permits and they can be useful. Had a pretty funny game where after defeating multiple attacks (the enemy has no easy way to get into the compound as we literally blocked all entrances with bunkers and barbed wires), they rammed a car through our first layer of wires, then use the vehicle to boost themselves over the wall into our position. Pretty creative.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Been playing lots of Squad 44 and I wish regular Squad coopted the mechanic of having a dedicated logi / engr squad that can build FOBs and emplacements.

I find SLs don't really bother with decent FOBs because it takes you away from leading an inf squad when it really should be a dedicated role.

Just bombing around in a truck with another guy and setting up FOBs in Squad 44, setting up kill zones and AP mines and defending them is a lot of fun.

Unfortunately the game is sort of stuck in mid-2010s COIN warfare, whereas Ukraine right now is showing how big trenches and fighting positions still are.

Prob engine limitations but it'd be awesome if the current HESCO style FOBs got replaced with dug-ins and trenches. Make FOBs stick out less like a sore thumb and make for some cool trench clearing.

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 28, 2024

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

The lack of any environmental destruction really hurts Squad. It's incredible otherwise. Too bad EA/DICE won't license Frostbite. I doubt they'd port over to Unity or whatever Battlebit is using.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Faction and map voting is now on PTE so should be coming out soonish. There will soon be in-built map voting system at round end. More interestingly you can also vote for different factions with different force configuration (right now it mostly changes what vehicles are available, but in the future commander call-ins might also be different).

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Oh cool, that'll be fun. Don't see many servers running matchups like British v. Canadian or American v. Australian etc.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Nice, I may play more often. As it is, 4 out 5 times I spend 20 minutes looking for and queuing into a server only for it to switch to a boring Canada vs Russia matchup or something, so l quit.

Now they just to need to allow matchups where one sides has helos and the other doesn't.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Insurgency/militia layer? Anyways, I don't know about shaking up matchup. I think there is high chance we'll see more monotonous matchup with a voting system. Especially good luck seeing Turkish force ever again.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

The game is really good and they'll be adjusting the ICO in the next patch. My only gripe is the lack of environmental destruction.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I mostly play on Baja Boys nowadays since they usually have an insurgent layer going for most maps

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Update is out, patch notes here:
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/393380/view/4107917367719577547

Some outstanding bugs that's been around for ages are starting to be fixed at last.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Any goons up for getting our own server since so many are full during peak times? I'd give out admin rights and we could have our own preferred map rotation, etc.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I’d be able to justify like $5/mo for that, but I’d be concerned that the numbers would be low unless someone wanted to dedicate their life to a discord to help mod the server and iron out all the bullshit being open to pubbies would be.

I believe it’s actually a requirement to get a server license, or at the very least strongly encouraged.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Is getting a corresponding Discord too much? I'd be fine idling it and just using it for coordination or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Also, obligatory update tweet. There's more than just new stuff, it's faction voting, map updates, perf. updates, etc.

https://x.com/JoinSquad/status/1767980546599116844?s=20