Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Young Freud posted:

So, at from contact to about 2/3 of a meter, it will blow off something completely, yet at 1 meter, you could be pretty banged up and survive. At 2 meters, you probably have burst eardrums and have permanent loss of hearing and at 3 meters, the only thing wrong with you is that your ears are probably ringing for a bit. But that drop off in overpressure in that first meter is why you get stuff like this...

...where the grenade went off in his hand and he survived. It's also why you've heard of guys throwing themselves on grenades with their buddies nearby and getting killed or blown in half while the rest of the squad is okay.

What's even more interesting is that there's a separate chart for determining building damage...

Yeah, you read that right. You can easily survive an explosion that would knock down a reinforced concrete wall.

Now, I've been saying that fragmentation is why grenades get their lethality from. That's a whole other few sets of equations called the Gurney equations, which allows someone to model how fast the fragments are going when the liner is broken up by the explosion. Typically, these speeds are measured in kilometers per second. However, I'm not as well-versed with this as I am with the Sadovsky formulas and can not get an accurate reading, so I'll just end this here.

These things are mass produced, not handmade. There is no guarantee that the grenade will fragment properly upon exploding -I've seen multiple M67s that just blew out the top and bottom, leaving most of the shell intact- and lethality doesn't come from the fragments -I've seen someone take a grenade fragment to the knee and walk away-.

Remember the assassination attempt on Hitler, where the plan was to put the explosive inside the closed bunker he was going to be doing his brief in, but then it was too hot, so instead they were in a different building, and even though he was right there, he wasn't killed?

Lethality comes from hucking them into bunkers or foxholes or pillboxes or tanks or rooms, where the pressure wave doubles back on itself, otherwise it's just going to wound a lot of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Titter
Jul 30, 2015

by Ralp

My Q-Face posted:

Remember the assassination attempt on Hitler, where the plan was to put the explosive inside the closed bunker he was going to be doing his brief in, but then it was too hot, so instead they were in a different building, and even though he was right there, he wasn't killed?

Adolf Hitler's pants after the assassination attempt at the Wolf's Lair.
Rastenburg, East Prussia - 1944

Frostwerks posted:

ive heard of navies using concussion grenades as point defense against underwater threats, ie frogmans, and poo poo.

• Locked thread