Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

SinJin posted:

No one gives a gently caress that you think the game Devs boned you. If it's still an issue with you after all of this time, go see a loving Doctor.

Man up and make your own thread , bitch.

:yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

SinJin posted:

This batshit chaos that has been called "World 9" is about to come to an end !

Some of the more interesting additions this past world include:

They adjusted the combat system again. I don't know much about the changes yet.
A windmill for grinding flour.
A toolbelt. And it will automatically switch out to the appropriate tool for the job.
Hunting gives LP, and it is shared with your party.
A garden shed. Sort of halfway between a cupboard and a large chest, but with 4 slots for things like plows.
Kingdoms
Saddlebags

and just a ton of stuff. Too many to mention.

World starts are pretty fun and chaotic. Something interesting always happens.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Figures this game is what draws me back to these forums haha

I've been living the hermit life at 34, -121 (map) since early December if anyone wants to come visit before W10. Where's the goon village at? I wanna drop by and say hi.

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Figures this game is what draws me back to these forums haha

I've been living the hermit life at 34, -121 (map) since early December if anyone wants to come visit before W10. Where's the goon village at? I wanna drop by and say hi.

Skooma Lagoon is at 61,114 and 62,114. It would be a pretty long trip, but probably uneventful. Not many logging in due to the world ending. I will try to log in later after work, take a few screenshots, and either work on a new thread or update this one.

Blacktooth fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 4, 2017

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Whoa yeah, I'm def not gonna boat literally all the way across the map with my main. Looking forward to the screenshots :) Do y'all have a charter stone? Maybe I can make an alt and have em spawn there to say hi and look around. Anyone going to the Wulf's Retreat end of world party? I'm probably gonna go there and dance and poo poo, maybe try and gently caress some poo poo up with my dude and die gloriously before the true end of the world.

edit: also my hs is popsecret if anyone wants to kin me

Here's some screenshots of my spot. Copy/pasting my post from the H&H forums:

quote:

I've been doing a lot of exploring the past couple days, and after seeing so many interesting homestead setups I started taking screenshots. Only have a couple right now, but I've got others marked that I want to go back and get shots of for posterity's sake. People can get pretty creative, and seeing so many abandoned and decaying settlements fills me with a sense of... well I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure it's how I'd feel wandering a land after some long-forgotten apocalypse had either killed most of the people or caused them to leave suddenly, food on the table in many cases.

This was a cool little hermit setup I found. I'm sure while the claim was active it provided perfect protection against random animals wandering in. Only area of land I've seen like this (totally encircled in cliffs), dunno how uncommon that is, but lucky find for this fella.

This was some kind of sacrificial altar. It was pretty cool. Had an abandoned village nearby as well, but didn't get any shots of that, I was too interested in this and what it might've been used for.

And now the self-indulgent part, where I post screenshots of my humble hermit homestead. I'm pretty proud of what I managed to accomplish (with some help from a friend) in slightly over a month. Managed to get up to an L3 mine before the reset announcement :D

This here's the home I share with my kinsman, and my primary herbalist table setup, mainly for drying hemp, tobacky, batwings, and sprouting trees.

Beezer Threezer pays tribute to her ancestor Beezer II at the village graveyard. Buried here are several Hearthlings whose skeletons I've found in the wild. Everyone deserves to know some measure of peace in the hereafter, and I see to that duty whenever possible.

The graveyard is enclosed with bushes of bittersweet nightshade, whose berries are used in the crucial yellow pigment used for our sigil, the three dogs.

The Druid's Tower and village plaza, with mario brick art. Inside the tower were the beginnings of a fledgling silk industry.

A couple shots of some of the rest of the village aboveground:

And the first level of my humble mine. I had just made my first bars of steel when the reset was announced. Good practice for the next world.

Thanks for visiting Leckmichim Marsh! Y'all come back now, y'hear?

(Don't use slag for statues, it's ugly as gently caress. Good thing I tested that before W10!)

SinJin
Aug 2, 2008

Here's some screenshots of my spot.

Man , you got a lot accomplished in so little time. :respect:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

SinJin posted:

Man , you got a lot accomplished in so little time. :respect:

Thanks! :) Haven't used any alts, I'm too much of a MY IMMERSION player to deal with alts.

(edit: ironically enough,) I made an alt and spawned him at y'all's charter to take a look around. Holy gently caress it's huge, and beautiful to boot. Great design, love the big pyramids. What are those two huge statues on either side of the coronation stone? I haven't seen those before.

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 5, 2017

suction
Jul 17, 2009
I need to install java for this game?

SinJin
Aug 2, 2008
@suction , Yes you do. The game devs have a very basic client for the game BUT they do allow custom clients. There's a couple very nice ones made by other players. This is one thing the Devs really fail at, unfortunately.

Something I didn't mention before : If anyone tries this game, you gotta try out one of the two available custom clients. They are so much better that they might help at making you want to play.

@ SoT : Those are Idols for the Realm buffs. I can't recall their names exactly though. There are two (?) different Idols a "King" can build for his/her Realm. Each will buff certain player stats. A Realm can have any number of these. We know of one Realm, DiS, that as sooo many of these that your character stats will be buffed by +132 points..... it's crazy. We have two, that's all unfortunately. 'Next World though ...

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

suction posted:

I need to install java for this game?

Yup.

Here's some screenshots of my spot. Copy/pasting my post from the H&H forums:

Yeah, that is really impressive for such a short amount of time.

Here are some shots of our village. Excuse the client effects. I really couldn't be bothered with turning them off.

The first three are from Underskooma. I don't know if you got to go down there

The kitchen/eating area. Yeah, you can eat that much food.

Mining/smelting/blacksmithing

Chickens!

What was once going to be a market area. Now has the Kingdom thingy

Standing on top of the big pyramid in the market area. It is really difficult to capture how tall it is, but it is taller than the tower.

The main Great House in the center of town

Towers and windmill

Cows and sheep starving to death

Soooo much cheese

Like skrrrrrt!

forge
Feb 26, 2006
It's been a while so excuse me. But this game is basically exactly like salem where one character who is russian and bots has 999 stats and no one else stands a chance? Also permadeath?

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

forge posted:

It's been a while so excuse me. But this game is basically exactly like salem where one character who is russian and bots has 999 stats and no one else stands a chance? Also permadeath?

Permadeath, yes.

The other not so much. There are caps and scaling in place for combat, and the combat system has taken on some aspects of rock, paper, scissors if I understand it correctly. You can still get wrecked if way over matched, but that window is no longer infinite and not as easy to attain.

Villages are much more secure now too. If set up properly, they are all but invulnerable. A properly set up village would need something like 48 hours of constant sieging to break into.

As it sits, if you die you can inherit 25% of you stats immediately, and a further 25% if you can recover your skull. Either way, because villages are more secure, it is easier to build yourself back up to where you were

Blacktooth fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 5, 2017

SinJin
Aug 2, 2008
Additionally, if your body is buried you will be able to inherit something like 30% of your ancestor's stats.

After you are killed and if you are fortunate enough to take advantage of all of the different means of recovering your ancestor's stats, you have the potential of recovering something like 90%. I'm not certain on the %'s but it's something like that.

@forge, that kind of still holds true BUT as Blacktooth stated, it's not nearly as bad as it sounds and certainly no where near as bad as it was in the past.
There are caps or soft-caps placed into the mechanics of combat that greatly reduce the gap between a player with 2000 Unarmed Combat stat points and a player with 300. Statistically speaking, yes the character with 2000 Ua C should win the fight. But there is a little more to it than that.

There is more power in numbers though. Two-three characters with 300 Unarmed Combat should be able to kill a player with 2000. We see it all of the time... Two good PvPers running down a character with crazy high stats.

SinJin
Aug 2, 2008
Last night, I was watching a YouTube video of one of the Devs playing HnH. He did a live stream yesterday, played the game and answered questions. In it he had stated that he looked at the logs that kept track of player character stats. I can't recall exactly what he said but he mentions there was a couple characters that had reached about 1400 points... but I can't recall what stat(s). He made clear that there were only a couple that ever made it that high during W9.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I assume that given the changes to stat/combat system to introduce diminishing returns the hardcore players are just farming up additional combat alts. Why bother with getting your main to 1400pts when you could make three or four disposable alts instead?

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

isndl posted:

I assume that given the changes to stat/combat system to introduce diminishing returns the hardcore players are just farming up additional combat alts. Why bother with getting your main to 1400pts when you could make three or four disposable alts instead?

Given the chance people will compete over most anything.

And honestly, once you can get any character that high you probably have the infrastructure to boost alts fairly quickly. They probably do have have alts.

Quantum Milkman
Jun 18, 2009
I haven't played this game for many years. Gonna give it a go and see what's changed.

E: Trip report: a bear mauled my face. Now I have no face. Apparently this is no problem?

Quantum Milkman fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 8, 2017

SinJin
Aug 2, 2008

isndl posted:

True that.

Many players will do just that. Many of us sort of have a personal rule that we always have alts. I like having alts that are specialized for doing certain tasks. Also, I try to have an alt or two that has all of the basic skills learned and a small unused pool of Learning Points that I can dump into certain skills if I ever lose a character. This feeds my altoholic thirst and greatly eases the pains of perma-death.

As the World ages and villages become more advanced and organized, it becomes easier to make/grind new characters with enough skills and stats that get me back in the game.

I think this kind thing is pretty common in just about any MMO though. It's not unique to this game.

About halfway through World 9's life, I lost my main. He was murdered and the killers took my body. Unfortunately, I was able to recover only the automatic 10% ancestor stats/skills. I had only a very basic and low skilled alt to take my main's place. At the end of the World, I'm fairly sure I was among a very small % of players that was farming some of the (almost) highest quality carrots in the game.
(Because of the way carrots were grown, they had by far the fastest grow/harvest cycles. Nothing else even came close. To farm them, a character had to be highly skilled.)

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

Quantum Milkman posted:

I haven't played this game for many years. Gonna give it a go and see what's changed.

E: Trip report: a bear mauled my face. Now I have no face. Apparently this is no problem?

Heh, yeah. Not too terrible. There are worse injuries. Leeches are probably the easiest treatment for that one. Be careful with the leeches though. 1 or 2 at a time, keep yourself fed, etc.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Blacktooth posted:

Given the chance people will compete over most anything.

And honestly, once you can get any character that high you probably have the infrastructure to boost alts fairly quickly. They probably do have have alts.

Yeah, but combat stats tend to be closely guarded secrets. You wouldn't see uncensored stat windows from top players unless the world was ending or whatever.

I know alts are commonplace, my point is why keep pumping your main for negligible benefit when you could double the number of alts you have for the same resource expenditure.

SinJin posted:

I think this kind thing is pretty common in just about any MMO though. It's not unique to this game.

Alts are common for multiplayer games, particularly in games where specialization is encouraged (e.g. Haven's Farmer vs. Miner vs. Cook etc.). Haven's permadeath and PVP mechanics is a significant departure from most other games in that regard though, because now you're incentivized to continue producing additional alts with the express purpose of replacing your main(s) when they die. Most games you make one or two crafter alts and stop there, while Haven encourages you to continue making more alts so long as you have the resources to fuel them, particularly for hazardous occupations like mining or combat.

That's also before getting into alt based strategies like alt vaulting or lawspeaker alts or false flag raiding.

e: hell of a time for the forums to go down while fixing some grammar, heh.

isndl fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jan 8, 2017

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
specialization.png

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
I haven't played this (or salem) in years, but if people want to start a village for the new world then I'm down.

I always liked Haven better anyways. Except for the lag.
Is the lag gone?

SinJin
Aug 2, 2008

Marxalot posted:

Is the lag gone?

The game is leaps and bounds smoother.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
It definitely is.

Day 1, wandered naked through the woods. Stole a boat. Made a hat.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

This actually looks pretty good. Tell me of how I am naive and wrong.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Arcland posted:

This may have been a thing before, but now apparently you can pick up an item, and then right click it into the ground to make it a stockpile.

Like this one at the house of some pub I stole a bunch of curious and food from.

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

Arcland posted:

There are still some issues with the game, but it is pretty good. The three major offenders that I am aware of are:

Terraforming is a chore. Devs are aware, but currently don't have a solution.
Siege mechanics, like in every other game, tend to favor one side or the other. Historically, attackers had a huge advantage. Now defenders do.
Getting stuck on corners while pathing. This is currently being worked on and should be fixed in the next major patch.

Maybe some others that I am not aware of, or forgetting. The largest improvement over the last two worlds has been the Dev's involvement with the community and entertaining their ideas for improvement. It simply did not happen before World 8. As a result H&H languished, and Salem flopped. I think they have learned their lesson.

It is a quirky niche game, but not bad.

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

Marxalot posted:

I haven't played this (or salem) in years, but if people want to start a village for the new world then I'm down.

A few goons have a village with some other guys that have joined. Well, a settlement is a better word at the moment.

We just switched from Slack to Discord. Here is a link thing: https://discord.gg/mN5RB8a

ill b bach
Sep 13, 2007

SinJin posted:

Hopefully, one of the more intelligent Goons will start a new Thread sometime in the next few days. With luck, there will be enough of us next World to poo poo on someone's perfect utopia. ( Please don't tell Sabinati I said that last part!)

WE WILL poo poo ALL OVER EVERYTHING (pls sabinati don't hurt me)

SweetBro posted:

For those who want to play an almost identical but less dead game, Salem is going to be starting a new expedition (server that eventually ends because witches brought about the apocalypse [which we will obviously be trying to do]) soonish? Once they get a firm date (I'd guess a month or so from now), I'm going to throw up a new thread and try to wrangle some goons together for more pubbie tear harvesting fun.

lol no, gently caress slaem :dogout:

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Blacktooth posted:

The largest improvement over the last two worlds has been the Dev's involvement with the community and entertaining their ideas for improvement.

I didn't believe this, so I had to actually go in and verify this. Huh, who would've guessed that the dev's cuck-up with Salem actually got them to pull their head out of their rear end and realize that they don't actually know best about everything and managed to actually make a decent game.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

SweetBro posted:

I didn't believe this, so I had to actually go in and verify this. Huh, who would've guessed that the dev's cuck-up with Salem actually got them to pull their head out of their rear end and realize that they don't actually know best about everything and managed to actually make a decent game.

Yeah, and they even got rid of that loving stupid "pay for gametime but its totally f2p bro" gimmick they had.

Now you just pay for extra inventory slots lol

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Is my client bugging out or is there a reason why there seems to be a horizontal line that I can't cross while trying to go northward? (I move in it's direction and stop, as if I'm colliding with something).

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

SweetBro posted:

Is my client bugging out or is there a reason why there seems to be a horizontal line that I can't cross while trying to go northward? (I move in it's direction and stop, as if I'm colliding with something).

An invisible wall means you have hit a map border. Not proven, but it seems most everyone spawned somewhat near the edges this time around.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Not even a simple notification.

Jobtar!!! :argh:

littlebirdy
Oct 31, 2013
I have not played Haven and Hearth in years, and didn't realize the graphics were updated. They look good now but I liked the charm of the old graphics.

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

littlebirdy posted:

I have not played Haven and Hearth in years, and didn't realize the graphics were updated. They look good now but I liked the charm of the old graphics.

They still have a legacy server running. To gain access you have to verify your account (one time $15 charge) which also gives some bonuses to H&H2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Just started on this as well, seems confusing and complicated and mostly fun.

• Locked thread