Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

RC Cola posted:

It should go to trial.

Based on...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Perdido posted:

Based on...?

I guess I more just think Kane is guilty

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Something obviously happened, but when neither party treats the situation with the respect and protocol an investigation requires.. well, someone's getting robbed.

Hopefully the victim can get help elsewhere because it doesn't sound like the justice system is able to provide it.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

RC Cola posted:

I guess I more just think Kane is guilty

I dunno. I'm not a big fan of Patrick Kane or the Blackhawks, and I think that something happened, but the way that this whole investigation has basically self-destructed makes me think that rape seems a little implausible, and that is really only honestly based on that poo poo with the evidence bag. Prior to that, I was interested in seeing it go to court.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
She still can go civil right?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Veskit posted:

She still can go civil right?

She would lose a Civil case probably too. The problem with the Civil case is that Kane might be forced to settle just to avoid any private and embarrasing poo poo he didn't want out from getting out there, even if he's completely innocent.

The Mom literally destroyed any chance that her daughter had if there was an actual sexual assault that happened.

After the Mom's gently caress up(honestly the Daughter is either in on it, a complete idiot, or the Lawyer was incompetent for not running it by the Daughter(his client) before going public with the bag from the hostpital.)

It makes complete sense for no charges to be fired as it would be almost impossible to get a jury to convict him with no reasonable doubt even if Kane wasn't a popular hockey player.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dexo posted:

or the Lawyer was incompetent for not running it by the Daughter(his client) before going public with the bag from the hostpital.)

Didn't he also find out they'd retained a second lawyer that he knew nothing about?

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

DJExile posted:

Didn't he also find out they'd retained a second lawyer that he knew nothing about?

Yes, and the family apparently wasn't cooperating with investigators regarding the evidence bag.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Perdido posted:

Based on...?

yeah this case very clearly has no business being in court at this point

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
So i have a theory (with no proof) that Kane secretly paid off the family and they scuttled the investigation with the evidence bag hoax.

It explains most of their acts and behavior. The only part that doesn't fit is how people so stupid could keep the DA's office from catching on and charging them.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

It explains most of their acts and behavior. The only part that doesn't fit is how people so stupid could keep the DA's office from catching on and charging them.

Lucille Ball-Jean Stapleton Theorem: To credibly play dumb, one must be very smart.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

http://wivb.com/2015/11/03/kane-accuser-wishes-to-step-away-from-investigation/

quote:

The Buffalo News’ reports that the woman who accused NHL player and western New York native, Patrick Kane, 26, of rape “no longer wishes to cooperate” in the investigation.

So I guess that's that then.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd like to complain about this being another case of the rich and powerful stomping down the common folk but based on the information that's made it into the news, the victim's family are to blame for torpedoing this thing.

Sucks for her, no one deserves that.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

mother Fucker!!!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

So i have a theory (with no proof) that Kane secretly paid off the family and they scuttled the investigation with the evidence bag hoax.

Why bother secretly paying someone off when you could legally do it admitting no fault. Also why would the person being paid off do something that could theoretically force themselves to face litigation of their own.

The more and more you see, read and hear about this case the less I actually believe Kane did anything wrong that night.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Dexo posted:

Why bother secretly paying someone off when you could legally do it admitting no fault.

Because once the police are involved in any situation, the victim cannot simply call them and say 'drop the investigation I'm not interested anymore.'

Dexo posted:

Also why would the person being paid off do something that could theoretically force themselves to face litigation of their own.

The answer to this question is money.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Exactly. The old "moolah".

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dexo posted:

The more and more you see, read and hear about this case the less I actually believe Kane did anything wrong that night.

I think the only thing the public knows for sure is that she had a bite mark on her and they pulled Kane's DNA from the mark. Even if that's the worst thing that happened that's still pretty drat gross.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

xzzy posted:

I'd like to complain about this being another case of the rich and powerful stomping down the common folk but based on the information that's made it into the news, the victim's family are to blame for torpedoing this thing.

Sucks for her, no one deserves that.

There's been a lot of slut shaming going on since the beginning, though, in the media and general public opinion. That hasn't helped.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

xzzy posted:

I think the only thing the public knows for sure is that she had a bite mark on her and they pulled Kane's DNA from the mark. Even if that's the worst thing that happened that's still pretty drat gross.

Eh, Biting (at least light bites anyway) or using teeth isn't 100% out of the ordinary during sex.

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Because once the police are involved in any situation, the victim cannot simply call them and say 'drop the investigation I'm not interested anymore.'

The answer to this question is money.

She literally just did that though by not cooperating. Without her testimony there is no choice but to drop the case.

If she was paid off secretly to tank the investigation, that's all she would have had to do from the start. Stop Cooperating, Why have her mom go through the elaborate hoax to tank the case, while also completely ruining a lawyer's credibility only to then stop cooperating.

Occam's Razor

Nail Rat posted:

There's been a lot of slut shaming going on since the beginning, though, in the media and general public opinion. That hasn't helped.

Yeah, The Buffalo media ended up finding out her name and running off with it, also the Lawyer that got lied to essentially gave anyone else who didn't know her name her name because it was on that bag. Also that dumb loving Bar owner with his story about how a girl was hanging all over Kane keeping other girls away, only for it to turn out that that girl wasn't the one who claimed she was raped.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 3, 2015

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The whole thing is pretty hosed. Kane seems like a pretty lovely dude but even if that is the case you can't just assume he raped someone, we just don't know. Hate Kane for whatever other reasons you want, but the outcome in light of all that happened is the right one.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He still cheated on his girlfriend.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

xzzy posted:

Please don't kinkshame

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hey if she consents to it that's cool, but this whole thing is based on the fact she apparently did not give consent.

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Nail Rat posted:

According to people like you, anything short of coddling the accuser and believing her story with 100% conviction from the get go constitutes slut shaming. Any slight hint of skepticism regarding her story is slut shaming.

The real victims here are the people that believe in the justice system rather than some esoteric notion of the "patriarchy holding these poor women down"

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Unlikely. That's only his second post in the thread and the first was a personal anecdote about the people he works with.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

When Kane gets in criminal trouble for a third time, who will act the most surprised?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Aphrodite posted:

Unlikely. That's only his second post in the thread and the first was a personal anecdote about the people he works with.

That dude's been jizzing MRA all over the thread since the beginning so what do you expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
oh dear

• Locked thread