Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

sergeants are not officers

most people don't know that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

DaveSplitter posted:

Link.

The case is still open goons, maybe we can solve this!

Conservative advocacy group America's Survival Inc wanted to open a 40 year old bombing case, immediately after associating Obama with Ayers and calling Ayers Obama's mentor and so forth.

Case closed.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, when I saw that name pop up, I had that same reaction.

In all likely hood, that FBI informant probably did bombed the station as part of a FBI COINTELPRO operation to make it look bad for Weather Underground and never confessed to the crime since he would be serving jail time for terrorist acts, despite helping the government.

Sergeants as a term come from medieval Europe, where it was an officer on protective duty and to keep order i.e "sergeant-of-arms". Sergeant itself came from household servants capable of fighting, like a knight in service to a house. I believe it's used as a rank because, much like the military, they're supposed to be team leaders.

quote:

c. 1200, "servant," from Old French sergent, serjant "(domestic) servant, valet; court official; soldier," from Medieval Latin servientum (nominative serviens) "servant, vassal, soldier" (in Late Latin "public official"), from Latin servientem "serving," present participle of servire "to serve" (see serve (v.)); cognate with Spanish sirviente, Italian servente; a twin of servant, and 16c. writers sometimes use the two words interchangeably.

Specific sense of "military servant" is attested from late 13c.; that of "officer whose duty is to enforce judgments of a tribunal or legislative body" is from c. 1300 (sergeant at arms is attested from late 14c.). Meaning "non-commissioned military officer" first recorded 1540s. Originally a much more important rank than presently. As a police rank, in Great Britain from 1839.

Middle English alternative spelling serjeant (from Old French) was retained in Britain in special use as title of a superior order of barristers (c. 1300, from legal Latin serviens ad legem, "one who serves (the king) in matters of law"), from which Common Law judges were chosen; also used of certain other officers of the royal household. sergeant-major is from 1570s.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Blizzy_Cow posted:

gently caress you op. Getting my hopes up of pig death only to find out it happened fourty plus years ago.

I was legit disappointed when I saw the year.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Vernii posted:

I was legit disappointed when I saw the year.

lol

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

most people don't know that

That's because they are officers. Literally the O in NCO stands for Officer. And they don't actually do any work either.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

quote:

On May 13, 1985, the police, along with city manager Leo Brooks, arrived in force with arrest warrants and attempted to clear the building and arrest the indicted MOVE members.[14] This led to an armed standoff with police,[15] who lobbed tear gas canisters at the building. MOVE members fired at the police, who returned fire with automatic weapons.[16] Commissioner Sambor then ordered that the compound be bombed.[16] From a Pennsylvania State Police helicopter, Philadelphia Police Department Lt. Frank Powell proceeded to drop two one-pound bombs (which the police referred to as "entry devices"[14]) made of FBI-supplied water gel explosive, a dynamite substitute, targeting a fortified, bunker-like cubicle on the roof of the house.[1]

The resulting explosions ignited a fire that eventually destroyed approximately 65 nearby houses. The firefighters, who had earlier deluge-hosed the MOVE members in a failed attempt to evict them from the building, stood by as the fire caused by the bomb engulfed the first house and spread to others, having been given orders to let the fire burn. Officials feared that MOVE would shoot at the firefighters. Eleven people (John Africa, five other adults and five children aged 7 to 13) died in the resulting fire and more than 250 people were left homeless.[18] Ramona Africa, one of the two survivors, stated that police fired at those trying to escape the burning house, while the police stated that MOVE members had been firing at police.[19]

Smelly Bohemian
Aug 20, 2015

by Lowtax
No, you got it wrong. Police ARE the bomb. beause they keep us safe and off drugs

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

My Q-Face posted:

That's because they are officers. Literally the O in NCO stands for Officer. And they don't actually do any work either.

Not really. Only idiots and officers call them NCOs

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
sounds like ayers rocked that place

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, when I saw that name pop up, I had that same reaction.

In all likely hood, that FBI informant probably did bombed the station as part of a FBI COINTELPRO operation to make it look bad for Weather Underground and never confessed to the crime since he would be serving jail time for terrorist acts, despite helping the government.

Sergeants as a term come from medieval Europe, where it was an officer on protective duty and to keep order i.e "sergeant-of-arms". Sergeant itself came from household servants capable of fighting, like a knight in service to a house. I believe it's used as a rank because, much like the military, they're supposed to be team leaders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exScXXcZ7V8

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
It was Walter Bishop.

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord
COINTELPRO is no joke. they poison every single thing in the town i live in. every day i spend hours examining water bottles for signs of tampering which are incredibly hard to find but they're there. i usually go to the gas station and nuke them in the microwave before i even think of drinking it. even then they could be monitoring my movements and planting particles in it or emitting waves that wouldn't be detectable by taste. i wouldn't have to live like this if i didn't catch them one night coming into my house to steal a tape out of my VCR and record damaging information onto to let my wife find. trying to find a spot to park my car and sleep at night takes me hours, ever power-line has transmitters that can target and burn your genitals/anus; keeping you from sleeping.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

My Q-Face posted:

which isn't an officer, numbnuts.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Not really. Only idiots and officers call them NCOs

er, what? in what country's army? because in :siren:america:siren: we all call them NCO's, but we do so with the understanding that it's an antiquated term and that the term "officer" always means "commissioned officer"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

which isn't an officer, numbnuts.

It's Non-commissioned officer, not non commissioned-officer.

• Locked thread