Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Going from Panama to Miami over land requires going through Nicaragua, Honduras, Mexico etc. on the way. It's a giant detour. He could've sailed to Panama, but the shortest route from there to Miami would be by plane or boat. How about this: After traveling to Panama, he took a flight to New York, trying to get to Blane to talk to him before the cruise. While in New York, Blane receives a message from Hayashi that he wants the two to meet, and is suitably spooked since he doesn't want to tip off his appearance to Hayashi since that would threaten whatever plan he's up to. Blane leaves for Miami, sending Hayashi some letter apologizing and making reference to this deal he and Rocksavage are planning on, and Hayashi follows to Miami (except he makes it there first for some reason).

edit: I think Hayashi was originally meant to get on the yacht at New York, too. Recall Rocksavage's original testimony:

quote:

We had just come down from New York for a few days' pleasure cruising off the islands, and I had arranged to pick up two more of my guests who could not make the yacht at New York, from Miami.

Mr. Inosuke Hayashi came on during the afternoon and had tea with us, them Mr. Bolitho Blane arrived with his secretary, Nicholas Stodart, just before 7 o'clock. They went straight down to the private suite which I had allotted to them, and we sailed at once.

"Two more of my guests" could be referring to Blane and Stodart, but more likely it refers to Hayashi and Blane.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Stodart = secretary = servant = non-person I would guess. He's not an invited guest anyway, just "one of the staff".

But you're right, Hayashi and Blane both delayed from New York according to that wording, which is more evidence that Hayashi outright lied to Kettering. In the 30s Pan Am only just started mail flights to Miami from Panama and it was kind of a big deal. I don't think you could just catch a plane to New York from Panama.

PAA's "Clipper" routes in "The Americas" (1936). No direct air route to Miami.

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 7, 2015

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Just thought of a new theory (partly inspired by Stoic Zola's):

What if Hayashi is part of the conspiracy to kill Stodart and replace him with Blane? The timeline could then be:

New York: Hayashi actually sails from SF to New York via Panama (which makes more sense anyway) and physically meets with Blane in New York, plotting the whole thing. Hayashi then arranges to arrive and board the ship first, to avoid arousing suspicion.

Off Miami, ~7 p.m.: Stodart & Blane arrive on the ship and enter their cabins. Blane kills Stodart and replaces him, then heads up to the lounge. Before doing so, he passes Blane's key and a sealed envelope addressed 'Nicholas Stodart URGENT' to Hayashi. [Possibly Hayashi is present for the murder, or visits Blane's room to get the key.]

7:40 p.m. The stock note is sent down to the room.

7:50 p.m., Hayashi asks for writing paper. In the few moments Ringbottom is away, he goes into Blane's cabin, drops the envelope for Stodart, picks up the stock note and puts it on the table. Not enough time to commit murder, but enough to do these few things.

Obviously, the problem we keep going around on is why would Hayashi take part in this? The book itself (or at least Kettering) has suggested Hayashi profits if Blane is out of the way, which as mentioned doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless you take Rocksavage at his word that he would make a deal with Hayashi despite being in a stronger position with a monopoly.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kangra posted:

New York: Hayashi actually sails from SF to New York via Panama (which makes more sense anyway) and physically meets with Blane in New York, plotting the whole thing. Hayashi then arranges to arrive and board the ship first, to avoid arousing suspicion.

Minor quibble: I'm not sure two weeks is enough time to make this voyage by ship. On the other hand, it's like a couple days to take a train across the country.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

It still doesn't make sense as to why Blane would collaborate with Hayashi to definitively tank his company and let Rocksavage get rich. It benefits neither of them. If Kettering says it does, it probably isn't true. Kettering sucks!

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Stoca Zola posted:

It still doesn't make sense as to why Blane would collaborate with Hayashi to definitively tank his company and let Rocksavage get rich. It benefits neither of them. If Kettering says it does, it probably isn't true. Kettering sucks!

Looking back, it's actually Rocksavage who says it would benefit Hayashi because Rocksavage is willing to cut a deal with Hayashi. (Again, this probably does not make much sense financially, but it's what was said). e: Blane possibly had no other choice.

So we don't actually know when the letter that Hayashi received in New York was sent, do we? Hayashi mentioned he'd been in correspondence for 'some time' with both of them. Unless he's lying about his travel, it had been at least two weeks, since he says he was traveling from San Francisco after Rocksavage's telegram. But it'd probably be rather tough to make the voyage by sea to Panama and then back 'overland' in two weeks anyway, so it seems like either a mistake or a lie.

The note in Blane's room could be a forgery, although Hayashi says he did indeed write a postcard.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Okay, so the way I see this, and assuming we are correct that the man calling himself Stodart now is actually Blane, there are three broad categories of things that could have transpired:

Case 1: Bolitho Blane has faked his own murder and is attempting to frame someone for it. Nicholas Stodart was a real person who Blane killed on board, or who swam to shore/was picked up by a boat.

Evidence in favor: Fake suicide note. Crime scene looks staged. Blane's letter to the bishop. Blane's luggage in Stodart's cabin. Lady Welter saw two men boarding the ship.
Evidence against: No discernible motive. No one else ever saw the real Nicholas Stodart. Everyone saw the man believed to actually be Bolitho Blane, posing under the name Stodart. What's the point of a fake that no one ever sees?

Case 2: Bolitho Blane has faked his own murder and is attempting to frame someone for it. Nicholas Stodart never existed; Blane came on board alone and deceived everyone.

Evidence in favor: Fake suicide note. Crime scene looks staged. Blane's letter to the bishop. No record of Nicholas Stodart existing. Less messy than the alternative.
Evidence against: No discernible motive. Lady Welter saw two people boarding.

Case 3: Hayashi attempted to kill Bolitho Blane, but killed Nicholas Stodart instead. Blane assumes Stodart's identity.

Evidence in favor: Lady Welter saw two people boarding. Hayashi is lying about something and is the only one unaccounted for before 7:45.
Evidence against: Weak motive on Hayashi's side. No one ever saw the real Stodart. No clear reason for Blane to switch luggage with Stodart. No reason for fake suicide letter. Crime scene looks staged. Doesn't explain Blane's letter to the bishop.

The one common denominator in all this is that no one seems to have a motive I can understand. The one with the most motive - Hayashi - still doesn't seem to benefit from Blane's death and his case is the weakest overall. What are we missing that could explain all this? Anything in the photos? Anything at all?

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 7, 2015

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The one common denominator in all this is that no one seems to have a motive I can understand. The one with the most motive - Hayashi - still doesn't seem to benefit from Blane's death and his case is the weakest overall. What are we missing that could explain all this? Anything in the photos? Anything at all?

Hmm. Hayashi doesn't benefit from Blane's death. But Rocksavage could potentially gain from Hayashi going down for Blane's death: Hayashi's successor at Shikoku probably wouldn't have Hayashi's connections with Totomi and wouldn't be in position to strongarm Rocksavage into coughing up a seven figure bribe.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The only one who has gained anything - as far as we can tell - is Rocksavage. So let's toy with the idea of Rocksavage being in cahoots with Hayashi. Rocksavage tells Hayashi that if he takes out Blane, he gets his bribe as promised, and Rocksavage doesn't have to negotiate a deal with Blane over a merger. Two big problems: One, Blane's industries were already going down, and were below 40. Rocksavage was already in a position to negotiate a deal far in his favor, without having to get involved in murder or having to bribe Hayashi. Two, it doesn't explain the threatening letter sent by Blane to the bishop days earlier. I can't imagine that letter is irrelevant to the puzzle.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 7, 2015

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Wait, were Lady Welter and Blane seenat the same place at the same time?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

... are you suggesting Blane is actually a 56-year old woman?

Lady Welter and bishop Thomas were on the top deck when two men walked up the gangway to the ship, one of which was Bolitho Blane (according to the bishop at the time).

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

... are you suggesting Blane is actually a 56-year old woman?

Lady Welter and bishop Thomas were on the top deck when two men walked up the gangway to the ship, one of which was Bolitho Blane (according to the bishop at the time).

Exactly! Only the Bishop saw them together.

Maybe under the couch cushions is a dress!

(No, I am not intending this be a serious theory)

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

So, uh... in about eight hours?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Yeah, I'm fresh out of ideas. Hayashi is definitely suspicious, and seems to be lying about a bunch of stuff, and he's the only one with a long stretch of time unaccounted for before 7:45. On that basis alone it'd be warranted to take him in. However, there are so many other things about this case that don't square up. If Hayashi killed someone before 7:45, then "Stodart" helped cover it up. If he didn't, then "Stodart" acted alone and if he is indeed Bolitho Blane as we suspect, then this has all been a ruse from the start. No matter how you slice it, Nicholas Stodart comes out smelling fishy, and he's up to something even if we can't come up with a plausible motive for any of it right now.

The one thing that still bothers me is the letter Hayashi wrote to his contact at Totomi. He wrote it at 7:55, and in it, he seems pretty sure that Blane and Rocksavage are not going to square a deal between them. Was he in on the ruse? Is that what was in the letter from Blane he received in New York?

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Oct 8, 2015

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

SelenicMartian posted:

So, uh... in about eight hours?

You fuckin tease :argh:

So since this thread looks like it's drawing to a close I just wanted to say it was really fun to follow! I didn't participate 'cause I've always been terrible at whodunits (despite having blown through the entire fuckin Agatha Christie collection when I was a kid :v: ) but it was fun to read.

You got more stuff like that in store?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Yeah, I'd bring in Stodart for sure. Either way he's involved in this. But I do think there is something awfully suspicious about Hayashi, especially since he managed to distract the one person who was watching Blane's door for a few minutes. (As for Hayashi's motive, it may merely be enough that he could believe he'd benefit from Blane being out of the way, but even on that point it's not entirely certain.)

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Yeah, I have nothing else to add either. The switcheroo is obvious enough but the motivation for that is as baffling as in the beginning, unless it really is as simple as Blane hating publicity (like he said in the "suicide note") so much that he'd rather fake his death and assume a new identity than be examined for bankruptcy.

Hayashi was certainly in on something about Blane's plot, maybe even coerced to work as an accomplice. For what end, no clue.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The best motive I can imagine is something like: Blane shorts his own stock, then goes on the yacht trip with the intent of faking his own death and pinning the murder on Rocksavage, who stands to gain the most. Meanwhile, he's negotiating a deal under the table with Hayashi, urging him to wait for the police business to settle before selling the monopoly to anyone. With Rocksavage in jail, Blane, now under his new alias of Nicholas Stodart, can re-purchase all the cheap stock and seal the deal with Hayashi, making millions and eliminating his greatest competitor. This might be what the two were discussing in New York. If that's the case, then perhaps Hayashi balked at the idea and tried to dissuade Blane from doing it, and is now clamming up in order not to implicate himself in the switcheroo or the bribery.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Update 10. Pages 131 to 138. I killed him.

: It's time.

: Almost there...

: Ta-da!

: Oh, sorry, my hand's in the way.

: Most of you did note he was suspicious. Let's see the authors' explanation.

LIEUTENANT SCHWAB'S ANALYSIS OF THE FOREGOING EVIDENCE.

The time of the murder was set between 7.45 and 8.30, owing to a message, supposedly in the victim's handwriting, appearing on a leaf torn from Stodart's diary which was not in existence until 7.40.

Compare the share quotations supposedly written by Stodart, however, with other examples of handwriting known to have been written by Blane. The word "Rocksavage" in the share list also occurs twice in Blane's letter to Stodart and twice in his letter to the Bishop. The similarity of the first to the other four immediately springs to the eye, only the "s" and the "g" differing to any extent. Other similarities appear on closer inspection and there can be no doubt that all three documents were written by the same person.

: I don't remember people comparing the writing samples in the thread.

Not the victim, but the writer of the share quotations therefore wrote the alleged last message, so that there is no evidence as to when the murder was committed. The alibi of the man presumed to be Stodart begins only at 7.25 when he entered the lounge. If the crime was committed before that his alibi falls to the ground.

Examination of the evidence brings other points to light showing that the man known as Stodart throughout the investigation is in reality Bolitho Blane. There are as follows:

1. Photograph D. of Blane's bathroom shows a safety razor on the washstand, whereas photograph E of Stodart's cabin shows a cut-throat razor on the washstand. The photograph presumed to be of Stodart, flashed by Detective Officer Neame on the morning after the crime, shows a razor cut on the man's face. It is obvious that he had always been used to shaving with a safety razor but, as suite C was locked up after the murder, he could not get at this, and had to do the best he could to shave himself with the cut-throat razor that was in Stodart's cabin.

: Objection! I call bullshit.

Here's a close up shot of the photo of Stodart.

: That doesn't look like a straight razor cut to me, and I've been using one for years. Also, it's in the shade. If they wanted it to be noticeable they should have placed it as a dark line on the right side of the chin, because chins are kinda tricky to shave. Then Kettering should have noticed this gash when they were dining, while he was commenting on how distressed Stodart looked.

2. On examination of the photograph presumed to be of Stodart, it is apparent that the coat he is wearing is too big for him, as the sleeve is over long, and the garment must have been built for a slightly taller man. It is obvious that Blane, having changed identities with his secretary, had to wear his secretary's clothes which did not quite fit him.

: The thread did notice the poorly fitting clothes but discarded that as a fashion statement. In 80 years people will think everyone today wore their pants around their ankles.

3. It will be recalled that on the night of the 9th, when the man presumed to be Stodart dined with Kettering, he complained of an abscess which was causing him trouble with his false teeth and, as the upper set were slipping badly, he was unable to eat any solids. An examination of photograph D of Blane's bathroom shows a tooth brush and a plate brush, the latter being an indication that Blane had false teeth, whereas in photograph E of Stodart's cabin there is on the wash basin an ordinary tooth brush only. Further, in the inventory of Blane's belongings there appears a bottle of Gum Tragacanth powder, which is used for sprinkling upon dentures in order to keep these in position in the mouth. As suite C was locked after the crime, Blane was no longer able to get at this powder, hence his difficulty in keeping his false teeth in place on the following night.

: Sorry, there was no talk about the upper set slipping badly. Some parts of this book seem to contain glitches. Just watch Schwab skip number 4.

5. It will be recalled that, at the end of his first examination, on the morning after the crime, the Bishop of Bude fainted. At that time it was assumed, upon the Bishop's word, that his faint was caused by weak heart and the fact that he had had no breakfast. It is clear, however, that the true reason was the shock he sustained upon the man, presumed to be Stodart, coming into the cabin. As the Bishop had not breakfasted with the others it was he first time that morning he had seen the secretary and, as he knew him to be Blane, he must have thought at first that he was seeing a ghost. The reason for Blane's letter, written from New York to the Bishop, warning him that some very strange things might occur once the yacht put to sea, and that whatever might happen the Bishop was to keep his mouth shut for his own sake, now becomes apparent.

Blane's confession on his arrest confirms the above inductions.

: Now, for your amusement imagine that the following text is delivered by a man in a poorly fitting suit, with a wound on his cheek, and with his dentures falling out. All that while doing the evil voice as the standards of the genre require.

CONFESSION OF BOLITHO BLANE.

Yes, all right then, I killed him. Little sycophant, what use was he, anyway?

I've known since last December that I might have to get out any minute. In fact, I suppose I've realised it might have to come sometime ever since I started business. Big business is like that, but you wouldn't understand with your safe little job and pension at the end of it. I suppose that's why I never let myself come in personal contact with my staff, that and the fact that I hate people .... most people anyhow.

All I wanted was peace, and I knew if I could find someone to step into my shoes and leave me his to step into I could have it. I started looking in January for someone whom my shoes would fit. It was only a question of patience. Someone of the right height, build, age and with no friends would turn up.

Stodart turned up in Ipswich - - about the fifth place I had spent a week in, advertising and interviewing applicants. He was ideal, no friends, no family - just the sort of man I wanted to become myself, so I decided to let him do the first big thing he'd ever done -- go out with a bang.

When Rocksavage asked me to his conference I thought there was a faint possibility of pulling things together, and Stodart could have gone back to his clerking. By the time we got to New York, though, I knew my position was hopeless and I decided to put Stodart through the hoop.

I had a nasty shock in New York when I learnt that the Bishop of Bude was to be on board. Very few people know me by sight and it was rotten luck that one of them should chance to be among the party. Fortunately, however, I knew more about him than he did about me - a nasty business during the war which everyone's forgotten now and I knew that the Bishop would rather that they weren't reminded, so I wrote him a little warning that there was real trouble coming to him unless he kept his mouth shut.

I don't suppose you want to know how it was all done. Its pretty obvious now, but if some very bright bird hadn't been a little too clever I should have been in the South Sea Islands by this time. The details? Here they are:

I got some closing prices from New York by long distance before coming on board and wrote them in a disguised handwriting I had been practising a long time on a page of my diary. I wrote a message to Stodart in my own writing on the other side, and put it in my pocket.

As soon as we were on board I gave Stodart some work to do in our drawing room and went to see the Bishop. I found my note had had the desired effect, and although I told him nothing, I could see that as far as he was concerned I could bump off the whole Church of England so long as I didn't dig up that nasty business out of the past.

Then I went back to the drawing room and gave Stodart a little knock on the back of the head with a hammer I had with me for the job. He was sitting at the small round table, so I moved the writing table away from the window, and dragged him across to it and popped him out. It was quite dark by then so no-one could see from the deck. Then I threw the hammer and the gloves I wore while I was arranging the room to join him. I found I'd cracked his silly thin skull, so I had to sponge out a spot of blood on the carpet before I changed into evening dress in his room.

I got up to the lounge at half past seven and introduced myself as Stodart and after a while wrote the closing prices in my diary again in front of everyone, and in the same kind of handwriting. I told the steward to push it under the door on the cabin and stayed in the lounge until the bugle sounded for dinner. The Bishop, who was among the people who came up while I was there, showed he was safe for anything by not turning a hair when he was introduced to me as Stodart.

After that everything went according to plan. At eight thirty the Steward came up with the note I had left addressed to Stodart and I hurried down with him to the cabin. While he was in the bathroom I exchanged the note I had kept in my pocket with the one that had been pushed under the door. That proved the missing party was alive at seven forty-five, and you see although I'd worked this little thing out pretty carefully the difference between doing a thing just well and doing it properly is to make allowances for the unexpected. I didn't see why the suicide story shouldn't be accepted without question, but if they did prove a murder I didn't want to be in on it. It's one thing to go down for killing Stodart; it would have been very disagreeable to have been charged with killing Blane.

You know, it's almost worth it to have seen the Bishop's face when he saw me the next morning and realised I hadn't committed suicide. After thinking he was rid of me he must have realised what I had done. That's why he fainted.

Well, that's all, and since it hasn't come off I want to see it finished with as little delay and formality as possible.

: And that's it. Yes, the motive for a recluse hiring a man to kill the man to be alone is flimsy. No, the book doesn't explain how the steward who came in to clean the sodding cabin failed to notice a piece of paper right at his feet in the doorway. Blane could have at least propped a rug there, so that the note ended up under it. Anyway, that's not the silliest part of the sealed section of the book. Here's the silliest part

: Yes, all the publishing details including the year and the ISBN are inside the sealed area of the cover. Marvellous.
Thanks for dropping by, I hope you enjoyed this little trip into the early days of interactive crime fiction.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

We called it! Good catch everyone who spotted the clues!

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Hey, we got the right guy, even if his motives ended up bizarre enough. :toot:

This was a lot of fun. Thanks you very much for doing this. I really like a good mystery, and an interactive one twice as much. It strikes me, though, that much of the physical evidence in this particular dossier was kind of... superfluous? We didn't need to see the locks of hair, or bloodstain, or any of the rest, to draw the right conclusions from them. In fact, Kettering was usually pretty good at figuring those out himself. The real clues were in the photographs and inventory lists.

However, one final mystery remains.

What the hell is Kettering's first name? Keys? Kogs? Korp? The #1 thing I learned from this is that no one in 1936 could handwrite worth a drat.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Oh how I love goofy murder mystery plots :allears: "Welp, only a handful of people in the entire world know me by name and I still have just enough resources that I can disappear to wherever I feel like, and all I want is to be left alone. I'd better murder a random dude and assume his identity in front of witnesses, that is surely the best and most logical way to achieve solitude."

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Anyhow, thanks for the thread! It was a hoot.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

WHATTTTT that motive is completely demented! He could have embezzled a heap of money and just walked, no one knew what he looked like, why bother killing someone? I guess the clues were there that he was a bit unbalanced, the whole business with no one knowing what he looked like etc. So the entire motive was he went on the trip, with the full intention to kill a guy almost in front of a whole bunch of people he'd never met before, I suppose to establish the new identity in front of some people? Even that doesn't hang together that well! No wonder nothing we could come up with really made sense.

I have a problem with some of those deductions too - for example the whole "Stodart locked out of cabin" theory, as far as we can tell from the photos, the cabins of Blane and Stodart share the one drawing room, and that is how you get in from the corridor, and that is the door that would be locked. Would the individual cabins really have lockable doors inside the drawing room too? So when fake Stodart was allowed to go to bed, he in theory should have had access to Blane's room as well - unless the guard/policeman was parked in front that interior door. I didn't pay too much attention to that point at the time, to be honest. It would have made more sense to preserve the crime scene by making fake Stodart sleep in the empty room on the other side of the corridor!

I had a lot of fun with this anyway, initially I was disappointed that more people weren't jumping in but I think it kept the theories and guesses more managable with less of us.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Stoca Zola posted:

It would have made more sense to preserve the crime scene by making fake Stodart sleep in the empty room on the other side of the corridor!

But that's where Kettering sleeps! Seriously, he mentions it offhandedly near the beginning.

I think what they intended was for Stodart's cabin to not connect to the drawing room, although the photograph in combination with the schematic clearly implies otherwise by the angle of the shot and the location of the bed.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Oh right, I forgot about Kettering. I couldn't work out why he stayed that first night when it was declared a suicide and he sent everyone else away, did he just want to sneak a night on a luxury yacht?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I'm pretty sure almost every element of that, except for some of the specific clues found in the photos, came up in the thread at least once. We were comparing handwriting, and I remember at least one person making that same remark about how the handwriting on the stock note looked very similar to the examples of Blane's handwriting. The switch theory came up along with the idea that Blane was grooming a replacement, and I think we may have gotten a bit tied up in the possibility that there never was a Nicholas Stodart at all to come up with the simplest motive of all - I think we were trying to figure out why Stodart would kill Blane, when that was only how it would appear to the rest of the world and not how it actually was. We recognized pretty early on that the bishop was merely pretending not to know the real identity of the man he was talking to, and I think I floated the theory that he'd fainted because, in all the confusion over one man having two identities, he'd actually thought the real Blane was dead when he saw him walk through the door.

In conclusion, if you make enough guesses, you're bound to make the right ones, and I see nothing wrong with that. The consensus was the right person, and the confession covers the rest of the bases. I think "I know you're really Bolitho Blane" might have been enough to get him talking in reality.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Turns out one of my many guesses as to motive was sort of right! At some point Blane did think he could still make a deal with Rocksavage.

I thought someone did mention the handwriting early on in the thread, but maybe not those details Schwab mentioned.

Thanks for showing this off. It was a lot of fun and neat to see the effort put into this back then.

A game that's similar in style to this that I loved as a kid was Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective. It's lacking in things like human hair and photo hunts but more interactive with the case details -- players decide which clues to read, and are scored based on how well and quickly they can solve the crime. I've thought about doing an LP of it before and might get on that now.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Bolitho Blane posted:

Mr. Blane's depression was so great at times that I had grave doubts as to his sanity.

Straight from the horse's mouth.

Not the most finely-crafted mystery, but at any rate, this was a lot of fun. 5/5 would participate again.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

tiistai posted:

Not the most finely-crafted mystery, but at any rate, this was a lot of fun.
As I understand the story was actually created by Links, and Wheatley was there for the big name and to write the characters.
Links's biggest hit is a classic guide to Venice http://www.amazon.co.uk//dp/1873429967/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Fascinating little diversion. Thanks, SelenicMartian.

• Locked thread