Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Problem description: Last Thursday, I installed the September security update to Windows 8.1, and after the getting the manufacturer boot screen, all I got was a black screen that sometimes let me see the cursor. I attempted to boot it multiple times to get to the advanced startup options, but that never showed up. I used Lenovo's BIOS button to try using their backup options, but realized I didn't have any recent image that wouldn't wipe everything. Fortunately, when I reset from that menu, the Windows advanced startup options finally showed up. I could refresh or reset, but I'd really rather not lose all my games/saves. However, I can get a command line, so my current plan is to copy the Steam directories over to an external and refresh. Would I be able to use those applications without having properly installed them, or am I going to need to download and install that poo poo all over again, even though I have the .exe/.ini/.etc? I mean, at least I'll have the saves.

Attempted fixes: Dicked around in various alternative boot modes.

Recent changes: The September security update to Windows 8.1

Operating system: Windows 8.1. Pretty sure it's 64-bit, but I don't have it on me right now.

System specs: Lenovo Y50 59418222. Intel Core i5-4200H 2.8 GHz. 8 GB DDR3 RAM.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
For what it's worth, when I went from a rotation drive to an SSD I left my steam directory on the spinny (it had it's own partition). I reinstalled the steam exe on the same place, and it found all the games fine. Just note that all your saves and stuff are likely in your My Documents folder.

Most of the other miscellaneous programs and stuff I had on the old C: worked fine as well running off the new OS. Some needed to be reactivated or whatever, but I never ran into any issues.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Thanks. I found all the directories I need to back up.

I had to order a new external for this backup, so it'll be a little while before I actually solve the problem. Maybe I'll copy a smaller game on my current external to test it out on my other computer.

But I at least figured out that whatever else Windows is and isn't loading when it boots, it can at least detect plug-and-play externals.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Alright, cool. If I put the games in the steamapps\common directory, Steam will detect their files when I attempt to install them from the Steam client.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

You can also specify another directory on a different disk for Steam to use for the games library. On both my Windows and Linux installs I have the game library sitting on completely separate physical disks from the operating system disk. My Windows Steam install actually has its library spread over three disks, with some on the OS SSD, some on a 500GB HDD and more on a 1TB HDD. If you launch Steam it's in the preferences somewhere of Steam itself, under the Downloads section, if memory serves.

• Locked thread