Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jim Flatline
Sep 23, 2015

Nooner posted:

I liked the one where you got to play as Greeks too but like the cool Greeks where you could lightening people and poo poo

That still wouldn't make Greeks cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
I remember the first rts I ever played, Stronghold. So many hours spent making castles and doing sieges. Lan parties were the best too. Never played Age of Empires though.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Cabrini-Green Tea
Aug 20, 2009

wheel in the sky keeps on turnin'
What's the gibbis opinion on civ5?

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Civ5 with its expansions is a really good game and if you can't handle the switch to one unit per tile you're a trash person. Civ5 without expansions wasn't very good. I'm hopeful the same will hold true for beyond earth since the last time that game had a free weekend it was boring as hell

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I just want a strategy game where I can build towns and pillage resources.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Aralan posted:

Civ5 with its expansions is a really good game and if you can't handle the switch to one unit per tile you're a trash person. Civ5 without expansions wasn't very good. I'm hopeful the same will hold true for beyond earth since the last time that game had a free weekend it was boring as hell

I can handle it, I just don't like it. I do like it more than stacks of doom, but the system in Endless Legend is much, much better. Units combine into armies, the max size of which is determined by your tech level, and battles between armies are carried out within a single turn, in a six-round turn-based mini-game that takes place on the same map.

this is so, so, so much better that if Civ VI does not adopt it or something similar, I'm not going to buy it.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I wasn't a big fan of the system in endless legends, but maybe I just needed to play it more. As long as we can agree that stacks of doom were loving stupid, though, I guess everything is alright

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

I can handle it, I just don't like it. I do like it more than stacks of doom, but the system in Endless Legend is much, much better. Units combine into armies, the max size of which is determined by your tech level, and battles between armies are carried out within a single turn, in a six-round turn-based mini-game that takes place on the same map.

this is so, so, so much better that if Civ VI does not adopt it or something similar, I'm not going to buy it.

Endless Legend also has more flavor due to the great artwork and more unique feeling Civs, while civ feels like a spreadsheet game by comparison

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I loooove AoEII but I am still more nostalgic when I see AoE original. It came free with my friend's Gateway cowbox computer and I played the poo poo out of it for many hours.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ka0 posted:

is still the best PC game ever made. Yes maybe on par with Doom 2 or Civilization, but I personally think better. If you agree, like, share, comment, follow and subscribe.

ok grandpa

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
I liked the game "red alert"

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

RTS games are about capitalism and destroying nature.

You are building mines and cutting down whole perfect forests just to fund your war machine.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I was never actually any good at aoe2, but I was the king of half baked "haha they'll definitely never see this one coming" curveballs that never worked.

Walls made out of castles

Rams full of bombards and hand cannoneers

Forests turned into mazes full of trebuchets

Chu Ko Nu rush

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

etalian posted:

You are building mines and cutting down whole perfect forests just to fund your war machine.

its good to get your thanatos instinct out that way imo

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

etalian posted:

nah the games where you can research communism still let you destroy nature

probably faster with their production bonus imho

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

if Microsoft does one thing stupidly obsessively well it's backwards compatibility

There was a weird glitch in Vista that made the colors in AoE2 all hosed up if yoy didn't have any other windows open. Even though it was in fullscreen, you needed to have a folder or something open on the desktop in the background for the colors to be right.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Twimp Lingam posted:

What's the gibbis opinion on civ5?

civ 5 isnt as thought out as civ 4 but its easier to play and has lots of neat ideas

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

best 4x game is still alpha centauri (ignore alien crossfire)

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Xaris posted:

pepperoni pizza
pow
bigbertha
photon mane
e=cm2 trooper
bigdaddy
bigmomma

god drat its sad i still remember those like 20 years later

aoe1 had the best loving cheats ever. baby with a shotgun on a tricycle? you don't see this poo poo in games anymore :(

age of mythology had a bear that shot lazers out of its eyes with a canadian flag cape and monkey companions

not to mention the flying hippo in a top that that shat rainbows and puked love hearts

Winter Fresh
Oct 31, 2011

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

planetbusters and missiles with fungal warheads are still the best weapons in any 4x game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJjQEoFF5Q8

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
aom was better

Matty
Oct 29, 2010

jsoh posted:

aom was better

I agree, friend.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I just want a RTS in which I can build bases, train dudes and destroy mother earth.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwWh1xy6gvU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

wrong, I can run AOE1 on Windows 10 np with the gold Rise of Rome edition

if Microsoft does one thing stupidly obsessively well it's backwards compatibility

Well "doesn't work on modern systems" was an exaggeration on my part, mostly the colors on the water & some grass were hosed up and I think the music did some weird looping thing too. It runs on my Windows 7 machine (I think with that same gold edition you have) but it fucks up just enough to not be a perfect nostalgia trip.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Myth 2: Soulblighter was still better tho

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I was never actually any good at aoe2, but I was the king of half baked "haha they'll definitely never see this one coming" curveballs that never worked.

Walls made out of castles

Rams full of bombards and hand cannoneers

Forests turned into mazes full of trebuchets

Chu Ko Nu rush

bombards cant go in rams dummy

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
lets get some more cobra car art in this thread

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

They made an HD remake of it. It's on Steam for like $19.99 and there's a new expansion pack to.

Cabrini-Green Tea
Aug 20, 2009

wheel in the sky keeps on turnin'

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

lets get some more cobra car art in this thread

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005

etalian posted:

communists have mines and armies too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

:vince:

is there one for aoe1 with space marines?

• Locked thread