Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

A popular thread in BFC is the Bad With Money thread, where people share stories about well you can probably guess. Also the thread derails approximately once every 18 hours. Anyway, the current discussion is about various military guys getting taken for a financial ride by girlfriends/spouses. I'm sure this kind of thing happens in every branch of the military, but which branch is the worst? What group makes the most boneheaded decisions about money? Who leases sports cars most frequently, and who is most likely to try and manage their old house as a rental property from halfway across the country?

You can just vote if you want I guess but I think you should share stories and argue with people because that's more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Dept. Navy for giving the Marines any kind of budget autonomy

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
The entire Department of Defense.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I know a former DoD architect who mostly worked on building things for the Army from the mod 80s until 2011. He always said the Air Force was shysty as poo poo in how the build facilities. The build a ton of poo poo, like dorms, hangars, office space, etc and run out of money BEFORE they can even start on the runway, which forces their budget to have to get expanded to whatever the projected cost of the runways and tarmacs will be, then they cut back about 25% of the space the Tarmacs will actually take and burn it on buying TVs, computers, phone systems, etc. so they end up with nearly double the budget they had been originally given and get to ignore the DoD requests they don;t want to follow.

If anything it makes me respect the Air Force a bit more

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
This would presume the AF has built a "new" runway at a "new" AFB in that time period.

Real talk I'm pretty sure the last "new" runway the AF built would be if we did some significant expansion at a shithole somewhere in CENTCOM, which I'm not even sure has occurred because even KAF has been rolling with their single runway this entire time during the Afghanistan adventure. Everything else going at least 30 years back has just been resurfacing and the like of existing facilities.

Also that presumes anyone in the AF would have half a brain to think that far ahead. Not likely.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Navy- Finally finished paying off the $60,000 custom pickup (DDG-1000/LCS) they bought ten years ago. Has no money set aside for repairs, will likely be sucking dick on the corner when the transmission gives out (which will be soon.)

Army- Staring wistfully at the shelf of Beanie Babies (MRAPs), Hummel Figurines (Stryker), and baseball cards that are going to be worth millions one day. Has thrown the majority of their savings at a series of Nigerian email scams, including "Comanche," "Crusader," and "Future Combat Systems." Are still inadequately able to explain exactly what that last one was.

Air Force- Owns three half-finished gaming PCs and $2,000 in unpainted Warhammer 40k miniatures. No plan to deal with credit card debt, but keeps sending money to camwhores. Owns a car (F-35), but is forced to share it with his brothers by mom.

Marine Corps- Payday on the 15th, broke on the 21st, complaining about both rich fuckers and the fuckin' poors the rest of the month. Repeat on the 1st. Unable to understand why this keeps happening. Applies equally to individual marines and the Corps as a whole.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
all of them. because all of them have retards that will sign over full powers of attorney and come back to empty bank accounts, 10 new credit cards all maxed out, and the chick knocked up by good 'ol jody. some of them will even try to 'work it out'. lmbo

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

ded posted:

all of them.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Booblord Zagats posted:

Dept. Navy for giving the Marines any kind of budget autonomy

"Hey you know what we need? Vehicles that are too big/heavy to fit in current ships and don't support the Navy's ship plan, oohrah"

"What else? Uh, how about vertical takeoff aircraft that will not loving work like we want them too which simultaneously fucks over the other services, yut!"

Boon fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 30, 2015

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Boon posted:

"Hey you know what we need? Vehicles that are too big/heavy to fit in current ships and don't support the Navy's ship plan, oohrah"

"What else? Uh, how about vertical takeoff aircraft that will not loving work like we want them too which simultaneously fucks over the other services, yut!"

NEVER FORGET GUADALCANAL

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Is it the airforce building that huge new office complex (eagles nest?) at hill? Something like more office space than all of salt lake city combined. Hell, the civilian engineers there have the budget to hire 160 people a year to addition of their current staff.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Naked Bear posted:

The entire Department of Defense.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Edgar posted:

Is it the airforce building that huge new office complex (eagles nest?) at hill? Something like more office space than all of salt lake city combined. Hell, the civilian engineers there have the budget to hire 160 people a year to addition of their current staff.

Eagle's Nest is like privatized housing, but for squadron admin buildings and contractors.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Falcon Hill is what I was thinking.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

KirbyKhan posted:

Eagle's Nest is like privatized housing, but for squadron admin buildings and contractors.

Did they really name their base housing after Hitler's vacation retreat?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

Did they really name their base housing after Hitler's vacation retreat?

:hitler:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

i

i um

WHAT

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

ded posted:

i

i um

WHAT

heil hitler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Edgar posted:

Falcon Hill is what I was thinking.

That's mostly contractors. IIRC Grumman or Lockheed had a huge chunk of the really nice building by the gate.

ded posted:

i

i um

WHAT

It's basically a blue version of the AF's WWI uniform. It was nicknamed the Billy Mitchell, while the other option was the Hap Arnold. Neither were really adopted, so the AF service dress still looks like a budget-rate 70s regional airline uniform.

• Locked thread