Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

Problem description: I recently cloned my old HDD to an SSD and when I change the boot order for my computer, I get the blue desktop with the message "Windows is not genuine." Now, when I boot off of my HDD there is no problem and everything boots normally. I would normally do a clean install, but I upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7 Ultimate and don't have my XP boot disk or find my XP CD key. I could just keep using my HDD to boot, but I feel like that defeats some of the purpose for me getting an SSD.

Attempted fixes: Removing the HDD, changing the boot order

Recent changes: Cloned HDD and installed an SSD

--

Operating system: Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)

System specs: Intel i5 2500k, Asus Mobo, Sapphire HD 7870, 8 gigs ram, WD Black 1TB HDD, Samsung 850 500gb EVO SSD

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

If there is a way to avoid all this by upgrading to Windows 10, I'm also open to those suggestions.

Edit: I realized I spelled "Ultimate" wrong in the title :classiclol:

Rite Of Massage fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Windows won't re-activate if you run the wizard? I'd recommend doing a fresh installation then, you don't need the disc or key or anything from your previous version of Windows. Here are instructions for doing a clean install from upgrade media.

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

Alereon posted:

Windows won't re-activate if you run the wizard? I'd recommend doing a fresh installation then, you don't need the disc or key or anything from your previous version of Windows. Here are instructions for doing a clean install from upgrade media.

Hey, this is mighty helpful. I would attempt to do this right now, but since I've last post my SSD is no longer being read as a device for some reason. Just tested it out on another computer and it also won't show up on that. About to start the tedious RMA process, but after I get a new drive I will definitely try this.

Edit: Yes, I tried the activation wizard and it said that my Windows was not genuine.

Rite Of Massage fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 30, 2015

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

Hey guys, update. I did a custom install with my Windows 7 update disk and my SSD is genuine Windows without doing any regediting or contacting Microsoft.

Thanks for the help!

• Locked thread