Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whattodo
Aug 4, 2010
Problem description: I just upgraded my powersupply and video card and I am not getting a signal from the new video card to my monitor. I notice that the fans on the video card start to spin up, but then stop immediately, and they seem to keep doing that over and over. There was info that came with the video card that said that the fans won't spin unless 60C is reached, but I assumed they are supposed to turn on at start up.

Attempted fixes:

- reset bios

- I have tried my old video card which works fine

- Two 6pin power cables are plugged into the video card

- I have tried two different cables that work fine on my old video card (DVI-> HDMI cord and also just a regular HDMI cord).

- The PS is modular and I have tried different PCI-E power cables, and I know they work on my old video card (which takes 1x6pin, new card takes 2x6pin).

- I tried updating my bios, even though it's an old motherboard I updated to its latest version.

- I've tried reseating all the connections, as well as unplugging everything except the motherboard/cpu power and the pci-e power.

- I've tried to verify that my motherboard is compatible with the video card, and that hasn't really provided much info either way, though PC Part Picker says it should be fine (I know it's not infallible).

- I contacted EVGA support and they said some LGA 775 boards work, some don't, and it's hard to say. Since I can't test this card easily anywhere else, I guess I am just hoping I might have missed something else.

Recent changes: Yes, obviously, new power supply and new video card.

Operating system: N/A, no OS installed at the moment.

System specs: Intel Q8200 Processor, Asus P5QL Motherboard, 6gb RAM, EVGA 970 GTX FTW, EVGA 550W Gold PS.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

I have googled around and I feel like I am either missing something obvious, the video card is not getting enough power (which it seems like it should), or there is an issue with the card itself. I don't have an easy way of testing the card in someone else's computer. Maybe the motherboard isn't compatible, but I didn't see anything like that online.

Ugh, shitpost. Obviously hardware.

whattodo fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Any beeps or chirps on startup? Are you using PCI-E 6pins directly off the PSU or adapters? The q8200 is a quad core core2 which are power hungry, and coupled with that 970 you *might* be exceeding what that PSU can output. I'm not a fan of EVGA either, I've had to RMA more of their stuff than I care to talk about. Buy a SeaSonic PSU, they punch above their weight class.

e: Try booting with just the 970 plugged in, no cards, drives, etc.

Gorson fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 30, 2015

whattodo
Aug 4, 2010

Gorson posted:

Any beeps or chirps on startup? Are you using PCI-E 6pins directly off the PSU or adapters? The q8200 is a quad core core2 which are power hungry, and coupled with that 970 you *might* be exceeding what that PSU can output. I'm not a fan of EVGA either, I've had to RMA more of their stuff than I care to talk about. Buy a SeaSonic PSU, they punch above their weight class.

e: Try booting with just the 970 plugged in, no cards, drives, etc.

No, beeps or chirps. When the HD is plugged in I can hear it come online.

I am using the PCI-E 6 pins right from the PSU. It's modular with 2 PCI-E 2x6+2 cables, I have tried both of them, and tried combining a 6pin from each, still nothing. They work for my single 6-pin video card, though.

I have tried with only the video card and the motherboard (minus the processor) plugged in. Also with the processor, of course. The fans on the video card start to spin, then they stop, then that repeats every few seconds.

Do you think it's possible that this motherboard is just too old to handle the video card?

Edit: Also, pretty sure the guts of the PSU are seasonic components.

whattodo fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 1, 2015

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Did you try clearing the CMOS via the jumper on the motherboard and seeing if it can initialize with default settings? That videocard should be compatible with 4-series chipsets. It could just be a DOA videocard, do you have another system you can try it in?

whattodo
Aug 4, 2010

Alereon posted:

Did you try clearing the CMOS via the jumper on the motherboard and seeing if it can initialize with default settings? That videocard should be compatible with 4-series chipsets. It could just be a DOA videocard, do you have another system you can try it in?

I removed the battery, but I forgot about the jumper. I can give that a go. I don't have another system, unfortunately. Maybe I'll try and find someone's system I can use.

• Locked thread