Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i recently read the protestant ethic and the spirit of capitalism and i was all prepared for Weber to be a big prussian exceptionalist dickhead just like hegel but actually he made interesting arguments. most surprising though was he didn't seem to be a particularly big fan of the people to whom he attributes the economic success of northern europe, he talks a lot about how joyless and terrible they are. anyway that's my irrelevant literature story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

a dog from hell posted:

What's the point of reading these books unless you're involved with the economy? I work in retail and I generally don't seek out comprehensive texts on heart surgery.

Piketty, Capital in the 21st Century posted:

the distribution of wealth is too important an issue to be left to economists, sociologists, historians, and philosophers. It is of interest to everyone, and that is a good thing. The concrete, physical reality of inequality is visible to the naked eye and naturally inspires sharp but contradictory political judgments. Peasant and noble, worker and factory owner, waiter and banker: each has his or her own unique vantage point and sees important aspects of how other people live and what relations of power and domination exist between social groups, and these observations shape each person’s judgment of what is and is not just. Hence there will always be a fundamentally subjective and psychological dimension to inequality, which inevitably gives rise to political conflict that no purportedly scientific analysis can alleviate. Democracy will never be supplanted by a republic of experts—and that is a very good thing.
I mean thats probably a pretty decemt reason imo. Working in retail doesnt mean you arent allowed to have a loving opinion on anything,a nd certainly shouldn't discourage you from trying to learn the hows and whys of political economy, which absolutely has an impact on you in almost everything you do, and almost everything that is done to you or in your name via state and class power. Better yourself, nigga.

Frog Act posted:

fair enough i couldn't get through kapital because it is dry as gently caress
Firs three chapters are loving brutal but if you can stick through them it's not too punishing to read and (especially if you read the footnotes) it's real funny in the parts where Marx calls out bourgeois economists for being basic bitches and retarded infants.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

a dog from hell posted:

What's the point of reading these books unless you're involved with the economy? I work in retail and I generally don't seek out comprehensive texts on heart surgery.

you die eventually so its good to push yourself

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Ocean Book posted:

you die eventually so its good to push yourself
Well yeah. I get more out of say Camus or Nietzsche and find it a much better read, but I'm satisfied with the answers itt. But it's not for me, my eyes glaze over really dry stuff and I wonder if it would be more useful to be illiterate.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
It could be argued that people who put substantial time and effort into studying social problems, while having only a minimal chance of contributing measurably to the solutions, are freaks. And their thinking may be influenced by propaganda more than they realize or would like to admit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

a dog from hell posted:

I have a few friends that think the same way re: politics (and the economy). "Not poo poo to do with me, I don't care."

Bro, politics and the economy affect literally every aspect of your life. Educate yourself and vote for better poo poo unless you enjoy getting hosed every day of your life in every way possible. If it wasn't for people like you getting involved with politics/economy, you'd be working 12 hour shifts with no overtime or breaks right now (if you're lucky).

Beef Turret posted:

It could be argued that people who put substantial time and effort into studying social problems, while having only a minimal chance of contributing measurably to the solutions, are freaks. And their thinking may be influenced by propaganda more than they realize or would like to admit

This is bullshit from lethargic devils. Even just raising the social consciousness (ie educating people about problems) creates an environment more conducive to change. YOU PERSONALLY might not change poo poo, but if we all educate ourselves the odds that someone will affect change (or that together we can all affect more change than we could have personally) go up.

If everyone subscribed to this thinking of 'well I can't do poo poo so why bother caring', we'd all still be serfs.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 2, 2015

• Locked thread