Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day
Problem description: My wireless modem/router has been having issues for the last few months. The connection quality to the laptop appears great (135-150Mbps) but the actual performance doesn't reflect that. Considering the ADSL2+ budget connection that I have (yay Australia), downloads are ok (9-14Mbps), but it randomly drops out and I have to refresh a lot. Upload speed is the main problem, though. I can't even upload an image to Facebook or eBay, it just times out. Online speed tests are inconsistent, some show "normal" 0.4-0.7Mbps uploads while others can't even finish the test. If I use a physical cable then things are fine and dandy. The modem is a brand new D-Link DSL-2877AL (the problem existed with the old modem as well).

Edit: Oh yeah, and starting around the same time, certain websites seem to have trouble loading "more". You know sites like Facebook that load more as you scroll down the page? Yeah those don't work well.

Attempted fixes: Literally rewired the phone line in the house (new cable runs straight from the outside connection point to the outlet, no other devices use the phone line). Modem is new. Updated the modem firmware and wireless card drivers. ISP sent a guy to the house who tested the line and said everything seemed fine on their end. They also had me run some ping tests and said everything was again fine on their end, but did say that my "latency was high". They did not offer any suggestions on how to fix that.

Recent changes: New modem and new wiring in an attempt to fix things. Didn't help. Computers have stayed the same.

--

Operating system: Win XP, 7 & 8 on various laptops.

System specs: Various laptops, between 1 and 6 years old. Can provide more detail if needed, but all are stock Dell/HP/Samsung machines.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes, but every time I look up modem stuff I get massive pages of technical info and modem settings that might as well be in Swedish for all the good they do me. I am not good with wireless, please help.

Pogo the Clown fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Oct 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grymwulf
Nov 29, 2013

What? Was it something I said?

Pogo the Clown posted:

If I use a physical cable then things are fine and dandy.

This tells me that the problem exists only on wifi. Since the wifi comes from the D-Link gateway and not your ISP, it doesn't sound like it's an ISP issue.

I'd download a program such as:

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en

Look at the different networks in your area - see if your wifi is overlapping with other beacons. See where the least interference is, and then program your router to use the clearest channel possible.

You can also use those programs to get an idea of the signal strength/quality in different parts of your home - perhaps relocating your D-Link modem might help?

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007

grymwulf posted:

Look at the different networks in your area - see if your wifi is overlapping with other beacons. See where the least interference is, and then program your router to use the clearest channel possible.

You can also use those programs to get an idea of the signal strength/quality in different parts of your home - perhaps relocating your D-Link modem might help?

This is new info to me, so thanks for that.

The modem is dual 2.4GHz & 5GHz and I'm the only 5GHz in range so I'm the only person on my channel. The issue seems to be over both the 2.4 & 5 though.

Signal strength is very high, and I'm usually only 6-8ft from the modem, so I don't think that's the issue. Also I'm in a stand alone house, so I don't have concrete walls or steel beams in the way.

grymwulf
Nov 29, 2013

What? Was it something I said?
Have you tried updating the drivers for your wifi card? I had to wait until just a couple of days ago for good solid Win10 drivers for my Realtek 8821AE wifi - for months I've been having dropped connection, slowed links, etc - but since the update for the drivers the signal strength has been rock solid with very little variance.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007

grymwulf posted:

Have you tried updating the drivers for your wifi card? I had to wait until just a couple of days ago for good solid Win10 drivers for my Realtek 8821AE wifi - for months I've been having dropped connection, slowed links, etc - but since the update for the drivers the signal strength has been rock solid with very little variance.

Yes I have, though since the issue is happening on several laptops of varying ages with multiple versions of Windows then I assume it is not just drivers.

My assumption was that the issue is based on some settings in the modem, but I don't know enough to figure out all 459 billion configuration options.

• Locked thread