Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
The Lunchroom
Veronica

Soon Mara and her friends are all over you, laughing and cheering, walking you back over to their table through the crowd. John and Raven keep miming smashing an invisible tray of each other's heads, and roaring with laughter. What do they say about Irving that surprises you?

After a while of general amusement at Irving and Katie’s sake, Mara asks you about Betty, asking if you’d come up with any gossip, and what the deal with her leaving with Lilly was. “Do you think they’re seeing each other? I pity Lilly’s taste if she is.” Her eyes are gleaming with prospective gossip. What do you say? And what does the group do while you eat lunch together that makes you feel the most welcome you have since you moved her?

The Hall
The windows lining the hall, already thick with snow and nearly impossible to see out of what with the flurries constantly battering themselves against the panes, seems to grow colder, emanating a chill into the hall. Even Katarina and Scarlet can feel this, despite their own resistances to the cold. With the faint sounds of freezing, a layer of frost is starting to form on the inside of the windows all along the hallway. Around the corner, unseen now that the area has been vacated, the water in the drinking fountain slowly refreezes.

Outside the Lunchroom
Scarlet
Liberty turns her back on you as soon as you start moving away, and immediately starts talking to Katarina, trying to indicate that you aren’t worth anymore thinking about. Somewhat countering that point, are the two middle fingers she holds up over her shoulders at you. Whether you pick up on that or not is hard to say, because as you focus on Katarina’s hair… You can feel the blood inside of you boiling, roiling now, stronger and hotter now.

With the increased chill in the hall, you can almost see the heat haze shimmering around her hair. It’d be so easy, you know the snap will do it. But the fire inside of you is too wild. If you ignite her, you can tell that the fire will burn you as well. What do you do?

You can light Katarina’s hair on fire, but you’ll catch on fire as well.

Katarina
As soon as Scarlet has moved away towards the lunchroom, Liberty turns her back on her, obviously posturing a bit, and says, “God, what a complete bitch!” She glances both ways down the hall to make sure no teachers are coming, and then flips Scarlet the double bird before grumbling, and with an effort, pulls herself back on ‘track’. “So- before we were interrupted, what did you want?”

Elsewhere in the Hall
Katie
For once at least, you’re able to help yourself as easily as you can help others. The vision is crystal clear, and you can see every step of Irving’s path. You follow along, as he goes down the hall, stops at the drinking fountain, and then encounters Lilly and Betty. Things go well at first, but then, oh dear, they’re all over him! Clinging to his hands and leaning on him and oh, this won’t do! You can feel that they’re going to the nurse's office, so you can cut off the visions if you want to see no more of this horrible sight.

Moments later, you feel the call, ringing in your mind, a wish has been asked of you. Scarlet. What do you do? And how do you feel about Irving, Lilly and Betty? Do you feel betrayed?

Outside the Nurse's Office
The three of you have made your way through the school, and are now just outside the nurse's office. Have any of you been here before?

Betty
Several of the remnants answer this time, floating by, to whisper words in your ear. Snatches of conversations, “stuck up big city girl and the one from the commune?”, lone words, fragments, mainly using phrases you aren’t aware of the meaning for, ‘clambake’ for instance, but the amusement is clear, snickering, and once a tune you recognize from your childhood, ‘Lilly and Betty, sitting in a tree… K I S S I N G…’ And then they start to pass through your eyes, showing you flashes of images.

The lunchroom, you and Lilly leaving, while the crowd mutters and laughs. Then you return, but Lilly is already there, sitting at a table alone. She waves at you, but you watch yourself turning away, and moving it sit next to Irving. Handsome Irving. He smiles, and kisses you, there in the lunchroom, in front of the school.

Lilly
Images flash, a child, a boy, a young man, a teen. Irving. Around him, faceless figures move, bowing and scraping, bringing him things as he asks. Before he asks. They dress him, pamper him, flatter him. And he smiles. Now he drives -rides- along in a sleek car, looking out of a window, and past the general store, staring with a hard to read expression at… A girl - a young woman really - in the uniform of the store, working near the window. She glances up, sees him, and continues to work, while his gaze lingers.

---

When you go inside, the small ‘waiting room’ area greets you, with a faint sense of inherent comfort. It has the cushioned chairs schools use to look nice but offer only slightly more actual cushioning value than the normal wooden chairs. Still, it feels nice. The nurse bustles over, and starts talking at you, asking what the problem is, who to see to first, how your injuries happened, oh dear, oh dear. A lot of fussing. Betty, who does the nurse remind you of from back then? Lilly, what about the nurse reminds you a bit of being back home? Irving, what about the nurse is the least like your mother? How do you answer her questions? What do the three of you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

Hot -1 | Cold +2 | Volatile -1 | Dark +2
XP: 4/5 Harm 1/4 Conditions: Accepted, Suspected Lesbian, Yours Truly

I walk with Irving, haltingly, and I just hope I stop because of my foot. But really, I can't feel my foot right now, not when I'm listening what the remnants have to say! It's confusing and I don't know what they are saying to me, what the words mean, but I can tell it's not something good. Or, or maybe just something people really chat about, behind hands they hold in front of their mouth. Rumor stuff. I can tell - I don't know what they are saying, but I can tell! And, oh, then there is that tune and, and... Oh, I admit I think I knew before, what they were trying to tell me. But it makes no sense! It makes no sense... does it? Oh, I don't know. They're saying... everyone is thinking that, that... me and Lilly are together. Like a boy and a girl. Oh, I can almost not really... think it! How would that even work? And then I remember her kissing me and I think 'It would work like that' and no, Betty, it was just a rhetorical question!

I shiver a little - I can't wrap my head around it! That doesn't happen! That's not normal! If that were normal, then people in my time... I mean, back then... they would have also... Oh, it's just confusing! And, and I can barely think of it but everyone else, they just thought my and Lilly were doing... something right away! And I didn't do anything. I feel sad and desperate - I didn't do anything wrong, at least I didn't think I did and still now I was the target of nasty rumors. It was just me not knowing how to behave all over again. I wonder, if I wear my hair a certain way or don't say something or smile at the right time, will they just think other horrible things about me? My shoulders slump and I nod to myself. Yes, yes they will. Because I don't know anything, nothing that's really important anyway, and I'm all alone. And I'm going to mess up and then everyone will make fun of me and then I'll wish I were still alone.

Oh. Oh, I know. This must have been what Lilly was planning all along. If, if everyone would think something like this right away, she must have known it would happen! And then she kisses me and, and I'm all uncomfortable and don't do anything. After she got me talking about about Irving, of course - and now she has me under her thumb because she's the only one that can say the rumors aren't true! Right?

<nil_> Betty Hold Steady (vs. Lilly)
<nil_> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> nil_, 7+2 = 9
+1 from tagging condition 'Liar' for a result of 10.
Keeping cool and removing condition 'Drained'.

I pull myself up. Come on, Betty, you're better than this! My head doesn't feel so foggy anymore and suddenly I'm not sure whether Lilly being behind it all really makes sense. Still! If I just let myself be pushed around, she might do... something again. or someone else! Feeling a little bit better, I am able to hear, see what else the remnants are telling me. Or maybe already told me and I'm only now understanding it? Anyway - of course! Of course if I show everyone I have a so very handsome sweetheart like Irving, nobody would think anything... silly about me and Lilly. Everyone would even think I belonged, would see me in a new light. Why didn't I think of it? Because, because the whole thing is just weird. Maybe I could ask Katie about it. Oh no! Katie! I suddenly feel horrible, about what I just thought and how close I am to Irving, and how much I enjoyed him leading me, like a gentleman. Would Katie understand? No, no she wouldn't. I wouldn't understand if I were in her shoes! Oh, I am such a horrible friend! What should I do? I can't very well pull away from Irving now, it would be weird and my foot still hurts and, and I can't just now, okay? I'll just try to apologize to Katie if she gets mad...

Oh, there's the nurse's office. Irving helps me into one of the cushioned chairs in the waiting room and now that I'm not standing on my foot anymore I realize it still hurts a bit and I really don't want to walk a lot right now. Maybe I could just sit here for a while? After a moment, the nurse comes in and looks us all over, making a face like a friendly aunt seeing a little kid come into the house with dirty clothes - concerned, but not too much - and somehow, it make me like her. She fusses over us and - and it's nice, like my mom when I had a fever, when I was younger. I tell her that I got hurt stepping on a nail and she gives me a look and I don't know whether she doesn't believe me or just thinks I should be more careful. And now she reminds me of someone else even more - Ms. Filtzer. She worked in the drugstore when I helped out there for one summer, and she showed me all sorts of things, what drug did what, how much you could take without being sick and she was, well, maybe not nice - but she meant well! She had a look like that too, like she could see right through you but she wasn't going to just, just push you about if you didn't want to. Oh. The drugstore isn't there anymore. I think it was still there when.. when I went back to Caledonia High when my friends came back, after graduation and nobody was talking about me, what they did to me I got so mad and I... I put something in the drinks, I think I went to the drugstore and...

And I don't want to think about that! I sit up straight - I shouldn't slump like that! - and look around. Oh, oh, she's asking who should go first! Well, my hands and foot still hurt , but I shouldn't complain. "Irving? Maybe you? You still have..." I point. "You still have blood on your face..."

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Hot +1 | Cold +2x | Volatile -1 | Dark -1x
Harm 2/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions: Scary

"No, no. Ladies first. I insist." Nurse Polly clucks her tongue and ignore me, sitting me down and pressing a compress against my head.

I'm taken aback by just how much she talks. Even as she is working on me, she's giving rapid-fire questions. Mother never talks more than a slow, measure cadence. The more upset she is, the slower her speed, too. I answer as best as I can, though.

"I fell. Hit my head on a table and knocked over a few lunches."

"Clean clothes -OW- are coming, so I should be-"

"No, it's just my head. I'm not really that hur-"

"Sure. Tylenol would be go-"

"I didn't see what happened to Betty, no. Just ran into them."

I'm not going to let someone else take care of vengance . Mother's made it clear that I should take care of such things myself.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Hot +1 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark +2
Harm 0/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions: Backwards Priorities, Unwanted, Liar, Blamed, Dyke

So Irving has a thing for working girls who don't fawn over him does he interesting. If he is winter nobility then that kind of makes sense if he's anything like some of the high summer nobility I've met he's used to being waited on hand and foot so the idea of someone who doesn't fawn or fuss over him and just gets on with things is probably appealing to him. Well either that or he's one of those idiots who fetishes poverty and to be quite honest he doesn't strike me as that kind of type. Hmm I'm not likely to fuss all over Irving anyway. Although given the way Betty keeps giving him sideways looks when she thinks I'm not looking that may not go for both of us. The only one I'm interested in fussing over is Scarlet. I'd spend all day fussing over her if you know what I mean. Something in my distracted expression must have given the nurse something to be worried about because she launched into a barrage of rapid fire questions.

Truth is this my first visit to the nurse but I have to admit that I'm impressed. She's quick, smart and efficient. I wondered idly what a woman of her obvious talents was doing in a backwater like this. I missed being surrounded by competent driven people they were always so wonderfully entertaining. But entertainment in this town was seeing if any of the snow had turned yellow yet. In response to her barrage of questions though "I'm fine it's Betty you want to see too. I mean I bandaged her as best as I could when I found her earlier. But I'm no expert" I said modestly. Well it was nothing but the truth. The fact that it might impress Irving certainly had nothing to do with it. "I don't know how she managed it either. I was just stepping outside for a breath of fresh air and I found her laid out in the snow. So I just grabbed the nearest first aid kit and used the bandages as best I could. I hope I didn't do anything wrong." I said adding a bit of false modesty at the end.

[00:54] Ferrosol manipulating nurse
[00:54] Ferrosol !r 2d6+1
[00:54] Krysmbot Ferrosol, 4+1 = 5
[00:54] Ferrosol or not

Judging by the frown on her face she wasn't buying it dammit. "That's what happened right Betty?"

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

Oh, of course Irving tells the nurse to take a look at us ladies first! Like a gentlemen should. And, well, to be honest, I'm more hurt than either of them, really. And then Lilly says the nurse should see to me and maybe she isn't so bad after all? But no, of course she has to appear to be nice to me, otherwise people wouldn't believe that we... wouldn't believe that stupid rumor. And then she couldn't - oh, I don't even know what she has planned for me! When she says she doesn't know how I managed to do it either, I frown. She knows full well how it happened! Is she, is she saying I overreacted? I, I didn't mean all of that with the car to happen, but it did, and I hurt myself so Lilly didn't get hurt and now she's sitting there, when she's the one that... that... that did all this. Didn't she?

Oh, the nurse is looking at me! Her name is Polly? Haha, that's a good name for a nurse! But, but I have to answer her, say whether it happened like Lilly says. Well, what else can I do? What else can I do but do as Lilly says? I nod glumly. "Yes, that's what happened. I must have stepped on something sharp or pointy and..." I trail off and look at Lilly. Does she want me to talk about this, so I can trip over myself, over something I say and then she can smile and just say, oh, that Betty, she doesn't know what she's saying. "It hurt. I think it was... the shock." I stare at Lilly. She knows I'm talking about a different shock, right? "That's when I scraped up my hands." I force a false smile onto my face, and I manage it much better than with a real one. "But then Lilly was there. Good thing I stepped on that thing, Lilly might have been to get hurt also!" Yes, a good thing. It's just like it always is, I get hurt so others don't have to.

<nil_> Betty Shut Down Lilly
<nil_> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> nil_, 8+2 = 10
+1 from tagging condition 'Blamed'.
Betty gains a string on Lilly.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."

Hot 2; Cold 1; Volatile -1; Dark -1
Harm: 0/4; Exp: 3/5; Conditions: Hypocrite

"Well, I kind of wanted to see if you were alright," I say, with an easy shrug, putting something that looks like quiet concern onto my face. "I mean, lots of people giving you poo poo lately, between Veronica earlier, and, well," I glance at Scarlet's retreating form, giving her a disapproving look, before lowering my voice: "I'm sure you know the kind of thing she's been saying about you." I'm trying to convey the idea that we're friends. Or, at least, on friendly terms. Maybe we are. I mean, it's not like she's been bothering me so much lately, and I don't exactly carry a grudge or anything. I'm not angry at all bout that jacket, still. Or about the time she made me cry in front of the whole auditorium. Or the time she got my detention for blaming me for things she and her friends had done. That's all in the past.

... well, okay, maybe I wouldn't bee that broken up if Scarlet got a few good punches in on her during the course of this. But I think, all considered, I'm being commendably forgiving! Or I could just be angrier at Scarlet right now.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Suddenly...

Most of the cellphones in the school go off, staggered by a few seconds depending on the quality of the phone and the service network being used. Then, moments later, the bell goes off, lasting twice as long as usual, and then the intercom comes on. The message on the phones is nearly the same as the one broadcast on the intercom, an Emergency Warning, the town of Caledonia and surrounding region is in the path of a heavy winter storm, approaching fast. The forecast is that the streets will be impassable within an hour, and everyone is to proceed home immediately. Whatever plans you had for the rest of the day are, unfortunately or otherwise, put on hold.

The Nurses
The Nurse doesn't seem to believe your stories, but given the announcement makes no protest, and does her best to hurriedly patch everyone up before she rushes you out and towards home.

Irving, heal one harm.

------ Session Two ------

Thursday, November 5th

Sure enough, the town is engulfed with snow, leaving everyone who didn't make it back stranded, though the storm passes quickly, and by the early hours of the morning, the major streets have been cleared by the plow team, and school is, regretfully, open again. What strange thing did you all notice, either on the way home, last night, or on the way over?

Anyone with the conditions Drained or Terrified can remove them.

Katarina
When you arrive at class in the morning, you can't help but notice several desks are missing. Liberty, Scarlet and Lisa are all gone, and the whispers are flying that a few of Liberty's friends are gone to. The rumor has it that on the way back from school, or late last night, depending on who says it, Liberty and her gang confronted Scarlet started beating her up, when she lit them on fire. Or, Scarlet was trying to burn down Liberty's house when she and her friends were there last night, and they got burned escaping. No one seems to know which story is the true one, but both agree that Liberty and her friends are gone, but not dead, and that Scarlet is no longer attending school. No one seems to know what happened to Lisa. Are you happy with how your plan worked out? Being burned is rather grisly, but is it worth it to have driven Scarlet away from Lilly? Its not like it could have happened to a nicer person.

Tanya briefly conferred to see if your Starbucks Exploratory mission was still on, what did you tell her? But moving on from her, are you going to use this chance to talk to Lilly?

Highlight Irving

Katie
What was the last wish you heard Scarlet make from your book? How did you twist it towards your own ends? Did that have something to do with the rumors everyone is spreading about her and Liberty? Speaking of your book, she doesn't have it anymore. You can feel it, its in this room, but can you tell who has it?

You didn't get a chance to visit Irving after you spotted him yesterday, but you don't need mystical Djinni Powers to know where he is now, one seat forward and one to the right of you! Is he still naked? And Anna is talking to him right now, what do you think of the expression on her face?

Highlight Betty

Veronica
So, Mara and her friends gave you a ride home, and you were the undisputed star of the group for what you did to Irving. For a bit this morning Mara was sitting on your desk chatting, but as the start of class approaches she moved back to her own desk. Leaving you sitting next to Irving. Do you feel awkward about that?

Scarlet, your erstwhile model on behavior, has vanished from school, probably for good if the rumors Mara fed you this morning can be believed. Are you going to pick someone else to study, or just go off what you got from Scarlet. It did seem to work fairly well. Pick a new character for your background and take 2 strings on them if you want.

Betty had arrived before Mara left to get to her seat, and she didn't seem to notice her at all, clearly satisfied enough with your take down on Irving to not be suggesting you go after her more, but it'd probably make you even more popular if you messed with her. What do you do?

Irving
So, your party is tonight, and you didn't get a chance to talk to Jennifer yesterday because of the storm. Time is getting a bit short, do you have a plan? Speaking of plans, with Veronica sitting right next to you, its hard to forget your lunching at her hands, do you have any plan yet for getting revenge on her? And speaking of yesterday what are your thoughts on Betty and Lilly now? Has your opinion of them changed at all?

Have you invited everyone you'd like to to the party? What did your mother have to say about it, and what odd comment did she make about the storm? Anna turns around in her seat this time, and leans in to talk to you. What does she ask you about?

Highlight Veronica and Katie

Betty
Everyone was stuck inside yesterday because of the storm. Everyone except you, that is. Why didn't you feel welcome at home yesterday, and what did you find out while you were wandering the town alone to avoid the place? When you came back this morning, what small peace offering did you find your hosts left out for you?

At school, people seem to be noticing you a bit more, though the attention takes the form of whispers, and from what you've managed to pick out of them, they seem to be a lot of words you don't understand again, and mentions of Lilly. What hurtful thing did you find on your desk or in your locker this morning? You can remember the solution the remnants suggested to you, Irving. Are you going to act on that?

Highlight Lilly

Lilly
So, good news, Lisa, your rival, is gone, driven off by the strength of your Fae Magick no doubt, but bad news, Scarlet is gone as well. Apparently expelled for trying to burn Liberty and her friends. None of them are here either. Who do you blame for this? Is anyone else catching your eye now, Irving perhaps? Katarina still seems interested in you, are you interested back, or is she more an amusing distraction?

Like Betty, you've heard a deal of muttering following you around this morning, but unlike Betty, you actually know what they mean. The people seem more willing to be direct about it to you as well, perhaps because you aren't local. Who shoved you in the hall on the way to class, and who did you overhear in class making crude remarks about your sexuality to a friend? What do you do?

Highlight Katarina.

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

Here I am back in school, waiting for class to start - I know it makes me sound like a terrible eager beaver, but I'm really glad to be here again. Well... I enjoy class, because there you are supposed to understand and you know when you've done something right and when you've done something wrong and, oh, that really does sound like I'm a teacher's pet. Not even just a teacher's pet, but like I can't talk to people properly and only look others in the eyes if they're adults or something like that! I'm not like that! Well, if I'm honest, really honest - I also like being back here because... things outside the classroom were a bit - they could have been nicer. It all started with that announcement of the winter storm closing in on Caledonia. I was really relieved at the time! I could tell the nurse didn't really believe my story about stepping on a nail - but what did she think happened then? - and there was the whole thing with Irving and Katie and Lilly and... well, it was a bit uncomfortable and confusing.

I guess I was a little bit late in leaving the school - I tried to find all the teachers from the classes I would be missing so they could tell me what parts of our books I should read so I wouldn't fall behind - because by the time I was on my way, snow was already blowing into my face, I really had to huddle into my coat! I was thinking about stuff - what to do about Irving and Katie and Lilly and Veronica and.... Mara - so I didn't even notice when I walked into someone! Oh, and I had my face buried in my coat too. Well, whoever it was I walked into was as flustered as I was - it was hard to see, but I think it was a girl. There was snow all around - I could barely see the road - and I had to close my eyes over and over because the wind was blowing into my face, and, well, I never really got a good look at her. But, well, that wasn't the weird part - she seemed confused and told me that she wanted to get home. But like she said it, it was like - she didn't really sound like she was sure if that's what she really wanted or whether there was actually a home to get to. Maybe, maybe it was some sort of hobo? Homeless person. And in this storm, oh, that's bad. I was about to ask her where she lived and looked up and - well, she wasn't there anymore. She must have walked on, right? I could barely see in front of my face, so she was probably just a few meters away. But I couldn't find her again.

Well! I couldn't really think about it too much because I had to concentrate on getting home! Or, well, to Mr. and Mrs. Tilden's house. Someone was visiting - I think it was Mrs. Tilden's brother - and they were watching small movies on the TV. But they weren't proper movies, they were movies of Tina, Mr. and Mrs. Tildens daughter, when she was alive. And I could see Tina too, in the living room, standing behind her parents - and, well, it didn't feel right to intrude. And I'm pretty sure they didn't... want me around, I mean, they must have heard me coming in the door with the storm outside and all. But they didn't do anything, didn't even say hello. Not even when I said hello - but, maybe, maybe I was too quiet for them to hear it. So I went up to the attic on my own - without any supper... not that I need it - and tried to just do stuff on my own. And, well, I was going through some of the things I have of Tina's, trying to find something to wear for tomorrow. I was looking at a very pretty bracelet - I wasn't thinking of Irving, I'll, I'll just have to talk to Katie first before I... well, do anything - when Tina came up to visit me. She was... upset. I don't think she even knew who she was upset at, but she yelled at me and told me to give back the bracelet - I think she was wearing it in those movies - and, and, oh, I said some means things to her too. Like about how lucky she is to have me and that maybe giving me some small thing like a bracelet would be the least thing I deserve for all the things I've done for her and her family and I threw the bracelet at her and yelled that she should go ahead and take everything and and... I think I must have been more upset from that whole thing with Lilly than I knew.

So that's when I left the house again. The storm had quieted down mostly and, it was strange, I was so upset and sad I didn't even think about being cold so... I wasn't actually cold. It was weird. But not as weird as what I saw later that night - oh, what my real parents would say, me running around at night all on my own! But, I was walking through the woods - not too far away, I could still see Caledonia. But what I saw was... I'm not sure, maybe I was imagining things? There were three people going through the woods - I don't think they saw me - and they were, well, leading a deer. I would think the deer would run away, but it didn't! It just kept trotting along and even let them put their hands on their back. And that wasn't the only thing that was weird about the deer - I must have imagined it, it was dark - but for a second there it looked like, well, the deer had something hanging from it's mouth, something like big noodles. Or, well, like arms of an octopus growing from it's mouth. Maybe it was sick? The three of them were leading it deeper into the woods and, and, well, I'm a ghost, but I can still get afraid! So... I waited until I was really really sure they were gone and then headed back.

So that was a little... upsetting. Confusing and one more thing swirling around in my head. Maybe I actually fell asleep - asleep! - and dreamt it? I remember dreams like that, I think. Oh, when I got back, there was something nice though. That bracelet was laying on my pillow, along with a sandwich. Tina or Mr. and Mrs. Tilden weren't around, but still... it made me a little happier.

And it turns out I would really need that! Because when I got back to school the next day people were... well, they were looking and talking about me, I could tell. They were talking about that thing with Lilly, I am sure - I couldn't understand all they were saying - someone called me a Dutch levee? - and, and in my locker... Somebody put something into my locker. It was on the inside of the lid, like where a sailor might have a pin-up - yeah, I know about stuff like that, I'm not stupid! - and it was... a picture of two dogs and they were, well, one dog was on top of the other. And someone had put my and Lilly's face over the dogs' - somehow, they did it without glueing my faces onto it, it was all one piece of paper - and, well, that got crumpled up and thrown into the bin. I didn't even want to look if somebody was laughing behind my back, I was just upset and ran to class right away and... here I am. Thinking about Irving again and what the remnants told me, and yes, how they are right. And Irving is very handsome and a gentleman too of course and... Oh, no, no, no. First I will have to talk with Katie and try to hear how things are going with Irving. I'd rather have everyone saying terrible things about me but keep Katie as my friend instead of, well, I'm not sure. But that's the right thing to do, right? And, and Katie is my friend, right...?

Oh, here I am sitting, all caught up with myself, not thinking about anyone else! And not even thinking about some students disappearing from our class and all the really wild rumours going around about that! That's really terrible, Betty. I should think about others more, because, because then it'd keep your mind of things and you wouldn't get sad, because being sad doesn't help anyone and doesn't help you make friends, does it? I nod to myself - oh, I hope nobody saw that, they'll think I'm even more of a weirdo. Soooo... there's some time left until class starts, I should do something. I, I certainly can't keep sitting here, just thinking. Class is for thinking! Hm, I could go to Irving, but, no, no. There's Lilly, certainly not, not without some... reason. Or everyone will start talking all over again, I just know! I left Veronica at lunch, I think that was actually a bit rude of me - and then she spilled some food on Irving, but I'm not sure what to believe. Well, I still turn around and give her a smile and a wave. It doesn't hurt to be nice, right? And I certainly wouldn't want other people to just, just assume I did something just because someone said something, started a rumour, based on... nothing, really! That would be terrible.

Oh! Of course, Katie! We never shared those cookies yesterday! And, well, she's sitting really close to Irving and Veronica, so maybe I can talk with them too? I walk over to Katie, smiling as best as I can and waving. "Hi, Katie. I'm so sorry about yesterday. About lunch! We never got to eat together." I look downwards. "I had to go somewhere and then there was the announcement, and, well, that wasn't really time for cookies." I force myself to look up, not looking at my feet as if I couldn't talk to people properly. Should I mention I went to the nurse? No, no, I'm fine now, I don't need to tell people that. I keep rubbing over my hands - I'm still wearing gloves, I don't want people to see. I guess I'm a little nervous - I glance around, briefly smile at Irving and, oh, I also smiled at Veronica. I suppose I can't help but think that everyone is watching me - and that would make anyone jumpy! Am I blushing? "We can meet up today though! Right...?"

<nilPhone> Betty Turn On Katie
<nilPhone> !r 2d6-1
<Krysmbot> nilPhone, 9-1 = 8
Promise/string/give self?

Lilly, why chase after Betty when you could have any of the boys with how hot they think you are?

nil. fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 23, 2015

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Hot +1 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark +2
Harm 0/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions: Backwards Priorities, Unwanted, Liar, Blamed, Dyke

Goddamit all if it's not one thing it's another. First I'm snowed in and wasn't that an adventure racing through the streets to get home before the snow came down the last thing I want to do is spend my night trapped in this school. You know what the weirdest part about it was I couldn't escape the feeling I was being watched the whole time. It was like this itch maybe my magic trying to warn me. But every time I turned around whoever it was seemed to melt into the snow. Could it be a ghost? after finding out about Betty it stands to reason she wouldn't be the only ghost in town. But then why would a ghost be spying on me. Could it be one of the Duke's court in which case why not come out and ask me direct. I have nothing to hide. Well nothing important to hide.

Speaking of things to hide it seems like my sexuality is the worst kept secret in school. I'm not complaining really about that even if they're half right. I'm Bi not Lesbian. But no this ignorant hick town probably doesn't even know what a bisexual is. Hell I suppose I should count myself lucky that they can distinguish women from the sheep. No what really got my goat is the poo poo I've been getting. Mara and her little clique have apparently decided that being different like that is grounds to try and bully me. I'd like to fry her with magic but I'm not sure I dare. People are already asking questions about what happened to Lisa and if I start doing magic even more openly they'll only be more fingers pointed my way. If it just stopped there though i could live with it. But just this morning I was getting something out of my locker when one of the guys shoved me against it from behind. I heard something about seeing how the dyke like that but by the time I recovered and turned round everyone was walking away. If I ever find out who it was that was responsible....

But yeah when I finally get into class I find the whole room is buzzing with talk about Scarlet and Liberty. If you believe the rumours Scarlet attempted to burn down her house or set fire to her or something. Anyway apparently Scarlet's been expelled. Goddamit. The one person i've genuinely made a connection with here the one person who might have had a shot at understanding me is gone for good. What do I do now? I mean who else do I know? I mean there's Betty yeah but I'd be crazy to try dating her what with her being a ghost from the 1950's and all she probably has a different attitude to that sort of thing. There's Irving. But I'm not his type I think and he's definitely not mine. Still I suppose I could fake it until I get what I want from him. Who else there's Katarina as well hmm now there's a possibility. I've seen the way she looks at me. I could use that. And she's actually pretty attractive so she might be fun to play with for a bit. I doubt there's anything particually long lasting there. But hell with a bit of luck I won't be in town very long anyway so it won't matter. And yet there's something about her that seems off. I can't quite place it but it's like I dunno like I've met her or someone very much like her before. But that's ridiculous isn't it? I haven't been in town long enough to find out if she has any family. And I certainly doubt I ever met her family back home somewhere... I looked into the cup of coffee i'd picked up from the schools vending machine and swirled it idly while I thought.

[19:47] Ferrosol What's Kat's deal
[19:47] Ferrosol !r 2d6+2
[19:47] Krysmbot Ferrosol, 7+2 = 9
confusing and alarming please

Katarina does seem rather Dark and mysterious I wonder what's going on behind that pretty face.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Hot +1 | Cold +2 | Volatile -1 | Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions: Scary

Feeling much better after a good night's sleep, the bruises and cuts that I accumulated yesterday are almost entirely gone. A perk of the strange flow of time in Faerie. Also, I'm feeling a bit smug as I had managed to have the Vice Principal pick up the Katie's book for me while Scarlet was detained with... whatever happened. No one's told me, which is quite annoying.

However, that annoyance is banished from my mind when I see Mother waiting for me in the foyer. Waiting, in person. I had the book waiting for me at school, but I didn't tell her that yet. I... just had a bad feeling about what was going on, and I wanted to make sure I understood before I did anything rash. Fortunately, she seemed unaware that I had secured the book and was checking in on me. She had been relentlessly doting on me once I got home from that horrible mess in the cafeteria. She even said that she arranged the storm to give me an excuse to come home sooner. Which... I guess is nice. Still wished she'd trusted me to take care of myself more, though.

As I finish getting ready to school, she takes my hand and guides me to the door. Then, she says, "Have a wonderful day, son. I wish you success in your hunt for guests. Also, I look forward to hearing about the dinner from you and comparing with what I noticed."

Oh, she was going to be spying on the dinner. Judging how I handle it, probably. Thanks, Mother. No pressure, right?

As far as "hunting" for the guests? Well, there's Jennifer, of course, but I'd like to invite Lilly as well. Lilly's still an interesting girl, even if she has rather pedestrian tastes in lovers. I consider Betty, but I don't have any real interest in inviting her. She's proven herself polite and respectful, though so I wouldn't be too miffed if someone else brought her. On the other hand, inviting Victoria is right out. She's a menace! I'm still mulling over that idea I had. Seducing her friend to turn them against each other? It's... a bit extreme. I could probably come up with something else. Still, Mara is quite attractive, so it's not like it would be unpleasant. Not for the first time, I wonder just what happened to have there be so many girls in this class...

But, that could wait. I've got to make sure that the party goes smoothly, which means that right after school I have to go invite Jennifer! I've rehearsed my pitch a few times. Normally, I'd trust my natural charms to it, but she's been playing hard to get for so long that I'm starting to feel self conscious. I'm mentally rehearsing what I'm going to say yet again, when Anna leans over to me. She's wanting to know what she should do for tonight. If she should bring anything and what she should wear. I give a slight wave towards Betty as she smiles at me, but she's talking to Katie instead of me, thankfully. I turn to Anna, who is trying yet again to give me a glimpse of her cleavage.

You know, this is honestly sort of refreshing! If she wants to unabashedly flirt, I can do that. I lean closer to her and say, "Oh, I'm sure you'll look good in anything you wear. And, don't worry. I have everything else taken care of."

<Capfalcon> Turn on Anna
<Capfalcon> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Capfalcon, 10+1 = 11

After the fiasco in the cafeteria, Veronica is proving to be quite volatile.
I'm still in the dark about Katie's real motives.

Also, as a reminder, Anna, Rebecca, Pete, and Ted have advantage against the next person to act against them.
And, since Irving wouldn't let a little thing like a snow storm get in the way of giving the gift he already promised, there's a pair of shoes that match perfectly with whatever Betty's wearing waiting for her in her locker. She must have been in a rush earlier and not noticed them. :v: Still, they'll give her +1 on looking cute for her giiiiirlfriend. And other people, I guess...

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Nov 26, 2015

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hot 0 | Cold -1 | Volatile 1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Exp 4/5 | Conditions: In The Spotlight, Stooge, Trapped, Unimportant, Guilty

Well, that was a pretty loving amazing day. Normally I don't think that about days where the highlights involve lunch. But nonetheless, it has managed, somehow, to be true.

The ride home was wonderful. I hardly saw anything out of the window. Just one of those hunter guys, I guess. And only one. I think he was watching out for a deer or something, because he was standing on a snowbank and scanning the horizon. Everyone else was great, though.

Even Mara.

I kind of... I don't know, exactly, how I feel about all of this.

But it's nice to talk. It's great to talk, really. To have Mara over here, talking to me, and -- "Oh," I say to her: "Later!" Don't push too hard, I tell myself. You'll look stupid. Play it cool.

Mara finishes moving.

There's Irvine again.

Yeah - this is awkward. I can look over there and see Betty coming in. I remember how they all laughed when I imitated her doing that weird hand-holdy poo poo and her voice, and I smile to myself. It's a guilty smile for now. But hey, like they say, smile and the world smiles with you.

Hm. I look towards Irvine and let my lips pull back from my teeth... he's probably got his head up his own rear end and/or in his clouds of money. But I think I can shake him up now.

23:17 elnessus Time to SHUT DOWN Irving feeling GOOD ABOUT HIMSELF because of RAMPANT MISANDRY
k23:18 elnessus !roll 2d6-1
23:18 Krysmbot elnessus, 7-1 = 6
23:18 elnessus *trombone*

or not as the case may be.

And when he looks at me I raise my hand and waggle my fingers and oh gently caress that looks ridiculous doesn't it. poo poo poo poo poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Hot +1 | Cold +2 | Volatile -1 | Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions: Scary

Out the corner of my eye, I see Veronica pulling a face and waving. I don't know what she's trying to do, but I'm talking to Anna instead. So, I give her a disdainful glance and then return my attention to Anna.

Shut down Veronica who is unimportant
2d6+3 = 14
Take a sixth string on her.

• Locked thread