Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
gravity good

interstellar bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

cram me sideways posted:

btw none of you or your kids or your grandkids are going to loving mars. you are not going to space. ever. none of this poo poo is happening, and none of it's for any good in any fashion. its governmental bodies jacking themselves off with too much loving money and making an appeal to higher intelligence, as if that were the only prerequisite to get on a rocket and go look at stars through a porthole the size of a hamster's rear end in a top hat. they have learned nothing and brought back nothing, and every endeavor beyond earth's atmosphere is for its own sake. rooting for some dipshit bouncing around the ISS is like rooting for your local sports team - it means nothing and accomplishes just as much.

if you actually want to do something meaningful and awe inspiring in this lifetime, why not try to fix the blue marble you've already hosed up instead of looking into a telescope and going GOSH I WONDER WHAT THE CRAB NEBULA IS LIKE

all true, but lol if you think the future isn't going to be one in which my grandchildren are enslaving/killing/eating your grandkids.

or maybe they'll be what will pass for hoity-toity poo poo in some fortified city, drinking down the last potable water, eating million dollar teaspoons of strawberry jam, and filing up brass syringes with cyanide (cuz lol, opium poppies are long extinct) so they don't have to witness the final act of civilization's theater as barbarian hordes (probably including my grandkids) finally sap the city's defenses and break through to pillage and destroy.

in fact, i like the last scenario more, and hope it happens. i like the idea of your grandkids reaching an exalted peak, of being the most privileged fuckers on a dying world, but always being bothered by the wailing siren in the back of their head telling them "it won't last" over and over, of having gut-wrenching anxiety in the middle of the night that it will all end horribly for them.

so, yeah, I guess if you breed you're just an rear end in a top hat who wants to propagate a process that leads ultimately to suffering. don't breed, motherfucker. just don't. your genes aren't going to be fit enough and your grandchildren will suffer for it.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I see sa is stepping up its game in the mentally ill weirdo ccompetition eith 4chan

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Mange Mite posted:

I see sa is stepping up its game in the mentally ill weirdo ccompetition eith 4chan

NURK NURK

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
How do you like them space apples?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

cram me sideways posted:

btw none of you or your kids or your grandkids are going to loving mars. you are not going to space. ever. none of this poo poo is happening, and none of it's for any good in any fashion. its governmental bodies jacking themselves off with too much loving money and making an appeal to higher intelligence, as if that were the only prerequisite to get on a rocket and go look at stars through a porthole the size of a hamster's rear end in a top hat. they have learned nothing and brought back nothing, and every endeavor beyond earth's atmosphere is for its own sake. rooting for some dipshit bouncing around the ISS is like rooting for your local sports team - it means nothing and accomplishes just as much.

if you actually want to do something meaningful and awe inspiring in this lifetime, why not try to fix the blue marble you've already hosed up instead of looking into a telescope and going GOSH I WONDER WHAT THE CRAB NEBULA IS LIKE

best part of space travel circlejerks is the goons who have built their entire lives and personalities around the resentment of some perceived slight or injustice their parents performed on them as a kids turning around and being super psyched at the idea of getting on an interstellar spaceship and condemning their descendants to a living hell of hurtling through space enclosed in a metal coffin, with the endgame of being confined to a metal coffin on a barren alien planet.

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SstIjWfu1JE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7dMNwbezcs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmPcj-_bBYE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVD9uL68V-k

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
this is why I only rarely go into the subforums to discuss things and why Ralp needs to stop closing/moving things from GBS

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

riddly scott is awful

blae runner blows. just a downward spiral of mediocre motion pictures

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Sleeveless posted:

best part of space travel circlejerks is the goons who have built their entire lives and personalities around the resentment of some perceived slight or injustice their parents performed on them as a kids turning around and being super psyched at the idea of getting on an interstellar spaceship and condemning their descendants to a living hell of hurtling through space enclosed in a metal coffin, with the endgame of being confined to a metal coffin on a barren alien planet.

Also weirdos getting super pumped for space mining talking about how much gold is on them thar hills. Not really thinking of how this will affect the gold markets and why this would be a good thing (beyond pissing off goldbugs which is i guess good)

Also

Hector Beerlioz posted:

How do you like them space apples?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nadir posted:

lovely Reddit neckbeards who do this all day

http://youtu.be/pYrRqMHQY7o

but goons do this too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I saw it today, was pretty bad since there's no real sense of tension due to the predictable plot and how it throws up roadblocks in the story which easily get solved by SCIENCE!!!!

Also lolled at the pro-Chinese propaganda bit, dumb white americans mess up their launch so they have to beg the chinese. The Chinese have a secret rocket that's superior the american version and the gracious chinese save the incompetent white people.

I would give it 6/10, being generous because it had Matt Damon rear end and the blonde nerd chick was pretty hot.

• Locked thread