Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Problem description: Starting about 24 hours ago, my desktop stopped being able to access certain websites. Most obvious is Google and all Google-related sites, but a few hours later Netflix was added to the list, too. I have a laptop on the same network, and it can access all of those sites without trouble. My desktop can access most websites, just not... most of the only websites I ever use it for. When I try, Chrome gives me an "ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED" error immediately.

Attempted fixes:
  • Restarting computer
  • Clearing browser cache/cookies/etc
  • Switching browsers
  • Full Avast virus scan
  • rkill
  • Accessing http://74.125.225.81 instead of the Google URL
  • Change DNS to 8.8.8.8//8.8.4.4
  • Flush DNS
  • Reset modem
  • System Restore Point (failed with "an unspecified error")

Recent changes: I can't think of anything, aside from that there was a power outage immediately before it started.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

System specs:
Manufacturer: Gateway
Model: FX6803
Processor: Intel Core i7 / CPU 930 @ 2.80 GHz
Installed memory: 9.00 GB
Xfinity modem, SN: 1452111724
No router

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Repeatedly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Uninstall Avast and try again. Non-Microsoft antivirus programs cause weird system problems and are strongly not recommended.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
HAHA, okay, that wasn't the problem, but I realized while fiddling wiht Avast that the power outage had reset my computer's system clock to January 2010 and that was loving everything up.

Internet fixed. Thanks!

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Glad you found an easy fix! That may indicate that the CMOS battery on your motherboard is dead, as it should hold the time even through a power outage.

• Locked thread