Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Al Borland posted:

People still do this?
Like I thought mostly it was crackheads trying to sell magazines. Aka figure out if you're home so they can rob you.

Well my house has never been robbed and I basically never answer the door unless I am expecting a package or friend so they must think I'm never home.

But yes, even major companies like Verizon, ADT, and Terminix still do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I once talked a telemarketer into suicide and he killed himself during the call.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I did incoming sales for a company, which is way better than outgoing sales, and the call center had come up with a good trick: bonus payouts were based on both sales:call ratio and QA scores from the quality team listening to your calls. If you did too well one month, QA would deliberately drop your scores to reduce your payout.

Not shockingly, about half the long-time sales force quit in a month when people figured it out.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I once had a particular telemarketing company that would bother my workplace several times a day. This went on for months and it drove me crazy. As the Do Not Call list does not apply to companies, there wasn't anything legal I could do to stop them. Fortunately they weren't smart enough to block their number out on caller ID. After asking them nicely to stop, I lost patience.

I grabbed three phone lines, programmed their number in and proceeded to blow up their phone over and over for several hours just talking poo poo to them, hitting redial immediately as soon as they hung up. I could hear the chaos in the background it was pretty hilarious and definitely they weren't getting any work done that afternoon. They tried to spook me by looking up my phone number and answering the phone "XX township police department" and I just told them to suck it. I continued this for the better part of the afternoon. As the job was pretty much a do-nothing job I literally had hours to sit there and gently caress with these people. Finally around quitting time I made one final phone call and said "listen to me very carefully, I can guarantee I have more free time than you do to continue this little game. You need to lose this phone number and never call it again or I will make it my mission to gently caress with you guys a lot more than I have today. Never call this number again. *click*"

They never called again.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Applewhite posted:

I once talked a telemarketer into suicide and he killed himself during the call.
that was me.

HumanDecency
Oct 5, 2015
I worked a telemarketing job, one summer to pay the rent, for 3 hours. I can't even remember what it was I was selling but we were told to tell the potential customer that a donation would be made to the 9/11 Fire Fighters fund if they made a purchase. There was no donation.

I only stayed 3 hours into my shift and walked out. I didn't make a sale. Best rep ever. I was too young and dumb to report them.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
i have only declined three job offers in my life

one was at a degree mill
one was for a chiropractor's office
and one was for a "charity" telemarketing gig

I regret nothing

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
My roommate was a telemarketer for a few weeks. We liked to jokingly call him No-Sale Zack. We called him that because his name is Zack and he never got any sales.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

PUGGERNAUT posted:

i have only declined three job offers in my life

one was at a degree mill
one was for a chiropractor's office
and one was for a "charity" telemarketing gig

I regret nothing

i recently declined a job offer because they expected me to not go to class when they called me in on certain days

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Rambling Robot posted:

gently caress everything about telemarketing.

My "boss" was a loving idiot. The pay was poo poo, the people were poo poo, everything was poo poo. I rather mod GBS.

--

Please tell us about your experience with telemarketing/telemarketers.

so that's why your posting has gotten so eccentric

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

revmoo posted:

They never called again.

Should have hooked them up with Lenny

E: "Marshal" is a loving awful telemarketer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5IKbFATKLo

Al Borland fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 6, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i would rather be a literal robber/mugger than work a telemarketing job

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Next telemarketer that calls I'm gonna just start a conversation with about how they're doing and whats going on in their life. Their life is lovely enough I'm sure they could use a 10-15 minute break just talking poo poo.

E:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSoOrlh5i1k
This is a much better lenny call and its pretty hilarious poor lady 14 minutes with Lenny.

Al Borland fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 6, 2015

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Al Borland posted:

Next telemarketer that calls I'm gonna just start a conversation with about how they're doing and whats going on in their life. Their life is lovely enough I'm sure they could use a 10-15 minute break just talking poo poo.

If the fact that every single instant of every call is recorded and subject to random or nonrandom scrutiny by QA was not enough to dissuade them from wandering off script, the constantly pacing "floor manager" zeroing in on their asses from two rows away will shut that conversation down pronto.

A normal human speech pattern would stick out over the tightly-constrained dispassionate droning like a fart in church.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I usually hang up to their face but I wish them a heartfelt good luck before bc I think I'd need some kind words if I was doing this job too.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Al Borland posted:

you'll just piss them off because you're wasting their time muchhh likkkee youururr po

Dr. Video Games 0117
May 25, 2006
On dates I like to...

Moola posted:

I worked in a call center for three years and it actually destroyed a part of me

I've been working at one for 4 years and everything is miserable. Its shutting down in January so I'm excited to get my severance pay and also see the extreme meltdown.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Libelous Slander posted:

Id rather go to prison than work in a call center again

funny story, my girlfriend is an ex con and the only job she could get was in telemarketing and if she lost it, they'd put her back in jail,

good post, buddy

actually she got mad and quit last week, haven't seen her for like 6 days, maybe shes already back in jail lol

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

I saw a very pregnant lady smoking during my training.
She was one of those mean-looking ladies. I smoked too, but I stood away from her when we had breaks. She was quite fearsome.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

moller posted:

If the fact that every single instant of every call is recorded and subject to random or nonrandom scrutiny by QA was not enough to dissuade them from wandering off script, the constantly pacing "floor manager" zeroing in on their asses from two rows away will shut that conversation down pronto.

A normal human speech pattern would stick out over the tightly-constrained dispassionate droning like a fart in church.

Excellent.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Do people still get telemarketing calls on their cell phones? I don't think I've gotten one in at least four years.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

haljordan posted:

Do people still get telemarketing calls on their cell phones? I don't think I've gotten one in at least four years.

I've gotten poll questions the past few weeks. I just say, "I'm not interested" or "Put me down for Trump."

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Al Borland posted:

I've gotten poll questions the past few weeks. I just say, "I'm not interested" or "Put me down for Trump."

Man I'm so glad I live in a state that pretty much is guaranteed to go for the Democratic candidate for president. My brother lives in Florida and he says he still has nightmares about the non-stop campaign ads on pretty much every single form of media back in 2012.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

haljordan posted:

Man I'm so glad I live in a state that pretty much is guaranteed to go for the Democratic candidate for president. My brother lives in Florida and he says he still has nightmares about the non-stop campaign ads on pretty much every single form of media back in 2012.

Im registered in Wisconsin so I'd say its 50-50 but in reality let's be honest here. Democrats got this poo poo Bernie 2016 would actually get me to vote for a democrat. And I'm a conservative lol.

Cause holy poo poo when I look at what the republican offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Al Borland posted:

Im registered in Wisconsin so I'd say its 50-50 but in reality let's be honest here. Democrats got this poo poo Bernie 2016 would actually get me to vote for a democrat. And I'm a conservative lol.

Cause holy poo poo when I look at what the republican offer.

Watching the GOP desperately trying to find ANYONE who actually wants Boehner's job is quite hilarious. I think eventually they'll have to resort to drugging some unsuspecting Republican and filming a scene of him "agreeing" to take the job, a la "Weekend at Bernie's".

haljordan fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 10, 2015

• Locked thread