Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i bought a couple of SIP FXS adapters on blowout on the 'bay and now i get to pick up a crazy cordless phone system from the goodwill for $5 hell yes

last night i failed hard at sip trunking asterisk to didlogic though. which is weird as we had our grandstream 710 wired right up to it fine, so i dont think its a firewall issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Cocoa Crispies posted:

okay you might know this

would i need a license that's not just general to run a 900mhz gsm network in my house?

e: that's right i have a general, not just tech

Jonny 290 posted:

if you're sticking to 902-928 mhz, you can get away with a tech license as you have 1500 watts of basically any modulation

if you're out of that range though, there is no license that you can buy. you'll have to fight with verizon and att in a spectrum auction.

wait so what kind of range are you talking for that kind of power?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
with a decent yagi or gain antenna, line of sight halfway to jupiter. otherwise it'll be limited by the curvature of the earth same as just about anything UHF

its hard to generate high power at uhf/microwave tho. but the fact that (at least americans) get 1500 watts on our bands is a "haha, wouldnt that be funny if somebody actually got an amp that bi-OH GOD LOOK HE DID IT" fun time

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Jonny 290 posted:

with a decent yagi or gain antenna, line of sight halfway to jupiter. otherwise it'll be limited by the curvature of the earth same as just about anything UHF

its hard to generate high power at uhf/microwave tho. but the fact that (at least americans) get 1500 watts on our bands is a "haha, wouldnt that be funny if somebody actually got an amp that bi-OH GOD LOOK HE DID IT" fun time

troposcatter

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Heresiarch posted:

when i'm rich and famous i'm going to stop carrying a cellphone and have a model 500 with a rotary to dtmf converter and an answering machine with a tape in it as my only phone because part of being rich is being able to inconvenience other people with bizarre eccentricities

Pages late, but my parents are living your dream and they aren't even millionaires.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Pages late, but my parents are living your dream and they aren't even millionaires.

your parents are interesting anachronisms

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

just watched Big Trouble in Little China (for the first time) where Kurt Russel saunters by a security desk by waving a plastic phone around and saying some dumb crap. it was real weird

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
i watched sneakers again the other day and man do giant chunky 90s cordless phones look super antiquated now

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

maniacdevnull posted:

wait so what kind of range are you talking for that kind of power?

all i really want is to dick with it for a couple hours inside the house and forget about it forever

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Cocoa Crispies posted:

all i really want is to dick with it for a couple hours inside the house and forget about it forever

this describes about 90% of my projects

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

if that's the case and you don't live right next door to the fcc you can probably get away with it as a one and done

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
so right now here is what i have in the bus

code:

didlogic        ____________
-----------------|asterisk    |---------------------------------[SIP cordless]
-----------------|  on raspi  |              | SIP FXS|
trunk x 2        |____________|--------------|________|---------[POTS speakerphone+cordless system]

sorry for my poo poo ascii

anyways i have an IVR on DIDlogic line 1, you can ring the phones in a sequential ring group, leave a VM, hear a BTC price (speech synth'd from a small random() script) or hear an 8kbps ulaw of a kitty meowing. also theres a conf bridge so if 8 yosposters want to get on and yell at each other we are now equipped for that

line 2 is set to ring thru straight to all the phones and is what i use for fallthrough on my work notifications, if somebody doesnt answer a page for 30 minutes it rings me.

the sip cordless is a grandstream and owns hard, get one.
the pots fxs adapter is a noname chinese i got for $10 that works fine and the pots phone is one of those overblown att speakerphone/3 cordless handset dealie bobs from goodwill for $10.
i have shiiiitloads of phoooones. still need to get a couple 7960g's tho

didlogic is cheap, im paying $0.99 per line + 0.0052/min for north america

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Feb 4, 2016

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
what's ur sip address bb

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Jonny 290 posted:

if 8 yosposters want to get on and yell at each other we are now equipped for that

text me

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

or rather, text-to-speech me over a conference bridge

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

or rather, text-to-speech me over a conference bridge

i have tts set up and it is possible that i could pump slack or irc logs into a conference bridge realtime

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
TY for posting that nerd talk about the Iridium network. Satellite comms are really fascinating to me.

Anyway I had no idea it was a commercial venture. I wasn't even born when it was launched, so the only real investor or user I knew of was government employees and the occasional insanely serious hiker type who would be out of civilization for months

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jonny 290 posted:

i have tts set up and it is possible that i could pump slack or irc logs into a conference bridge realtime

do this and turn it into yospos radio

e: the talk radio of yospos

e2: get speech recognition and post post post

mod saas fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Feb 4, 2016

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
you have a pots backup somewhere in case you actually need to use the phone for something right?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol i have a cell phone for that

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

the state of phones in 2016, folks

that whole exchange is actually amazing