Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
http://www.wbir.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/10/02/farmer-finds-woolly-mammoth-bones-draining-field/73212446/

quote:

After a full day of digging through a soybean field near Chelsea, Mich., researchers at the University of Michigan confirmed a farmer's fairly unusual discovery: a large set of bones belonging to a woolly mammoth.

The find Thursday afternoon represents one of the more complete sets of woolly mammoth bones to ever be found in the state, said Dan Fisher, a professor at the University of Michigan and the director of the Museum of Paleontology.

“It’s a pretty exciting day,” James Bollinger, an excavator and local resident who lent his services to the dig, told the Free Press Thursday. “I’ve been digging for 45 years and I’ve never dug anything up like that.”

The bones were first discovered on Monday, in what amounted to pure accident. Neighbors Trent Satterthwaite and James Bristle, both farmers, were on Bristle’s farm on Scio Church Road in Lima Township, working to drain water from part of the field.

They had dug about 8 feet deep when a wood-like substance started to appear. Pretty soon they realized the wood was actually bone.

"I think we just found a dinosaur or something,” Satterthwaite recalled joking with Bristle.

They then contacted the University of Michigan, which referred them to Fisher.

In an unusual twist, Fisher said Bristle gave him one day to dig on his land, because of a tight farming schedule tied to the harvest. Bristle could not be reached for comment Thursday.

So on Thursday morning, a wild one-day digging sprint ensued.

About 15 people from the university arrived with several others showing up to observe. Satterthwaite and a local excavator, James Bollinger, lent their help with some heavy equipment.

Together, they uncovered a surprising 20% or so of the woolly mammoth’s skeleton. There was the head and tusks, several ribs, a set of vertebrae, and more.

While there have been about 30 woolly mammoths found in Michigan, only five or fewer have been uncovered so extensively, Fisher said.

“We didn’t stop to eat or drink,” he added. “It was a hard, hard day of work, but every bit worth it.”

This particular mammoth was likely killed by humans 10,000 or 15,000 years ago then stored in a pond, which was a preservation technique at the time. Many of the missing parts were probably eaten by humans, Fisher said.

And the mammoth, which was in its 40s or 50s when it died, might not technically be “woolly.” Instead, it could be a “Jeffersonian mammoth” -- a hybrid between a woolly mammoth and Columbian mammoth, according to Fisher.

The bones are being temporarily stored nearby. It wasn't clear late Thursday as where they will eventually end up. They need to be cleaned and dried, and then their research value will be more precisely assessed.

Satterthwaite was just happy to play a part.

“You have a better chance of winning the lotto than doing what we just did,” he added.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I guess he will never be the head of a major corporation! LOL

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
they should buy a lottery ticket

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Yeah but how does it taste?

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

its trunk is perfectly suited to snorting coke

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

CharlestonJew posted:

Yeah but how does it taste?

Probably like when you bite into a chicken wing without thinking about where you're biting.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

did they get all the bones or did the farmer get mad and kick these scientists off his land?

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

did he get arrested for doing that to his wife

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

so the ancient refrigerator was a pond. did you just dive in and saw a piece off when you got hungry?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for bolding some random sentences, I might not have known what to read otherwise.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Eating waterlogged old mammoth meat sounds gross, what was wrong with people back then, ewwww

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
How do you use a pond to store meat?

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Bonzo posted:

How do you use a pond to store meat?

1) Find pond

2) Find meat

3) Combine

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
sounds pretty fuckin gross but I imagine its bette rthan "leave thousands of pounds of meat in the field" I guess

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

BeefThief posted:

its trunk is perfectly suited to snorting coke

Trunk is just cosmetic

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

sounds pretty fuckin gross but I imagine its bette rthan "leave thousands of pounds of meat in the field" I guess

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
the hardest part is finding that bigass tarp colored according to your tribe's chosen color scheme

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!
Serious question. In rare cases like this, does the museum or research team have to pay the farmer for the bones seeing how it was buried on his property?

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

Phlairdon posted:

Serious question. In rare cases like this, does the museum or research team have to pay the farmer for the bones seeing how it was buried on his property?

i'm pretty sure they do

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

i think its up to the farmer since its on his property. a lot of people probably just give stuff like that to the local university or whatever.

not me, im sellin to the highest bidder, get me some rich ayrabs on the phone :evilbuddy:

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!
What's the average market value of a wooly mammoth fossil nowadays?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Um you don't own the rain in the clouds above your land, why would you own the bones underneath?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

could probably sell it to make chinese boner pills

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Girl I got a boner like a thousands-years extinct furry elephant :q:

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
...do you not?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
mammoth my rear end, that's the mutant cyclops i bred and later slew in the last ice age

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Phlairdon posted:

The bones still belong to the farmer and once they are cleaned and photographed he will have the right to donate or sell them to whomever he wants.

• Locked thread