Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Universal has finally announced the long-awaited followup to Jaws 18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl092whRLlI

Personally I think the series got a bit too 'friendly' as it went on but 18's return to basics really felt like a fresh start. With this one, though, all the early info just makes it sound like another 'Jaws is secretly a good guy' movie. As if we haven't had enough of those already? I know the merchandise always sells better when there's a hero shark but they should really just keep that stuff to the cartoon series if they want kids buying shark toys.

Didn't see a dedicated Jaws franchise thread so feel free to use this as a general discussion of the series. And stop pretending that Jaws 15 is really deep. If you want meaningful commentary on anything, Jaws 7 is the peak. Jaws 15 is just total garbage, even if it has the best shark name in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Jaws 9 is Gary Busey's best film :colbert:

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I'm just saying I don't give a gently caress what anyone on the internet thinks. Idris Elba should play the shark.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Is America truly ready for Elba playing a great white?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Sharks are color blind.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

maybe the shark should be female, ideally played by Ronda Roussey. She's popular now so she needs a good movie as a lead to break in to the industry

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Robert Altman's Jaws 10 was really polarizing but I still like it. Some people would look at the pitch for 'an all-shark ensemble film' and balk but I think it really opened up people's eyes to the fact that lots of different breeds of shark are really into biting and eating humans beyond just the great white.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Jaws 8 was the poo poo, gently caress the haters who complained about robot sharks. If you don't like robotic sharks, you hate fun.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
J.A.W.5.7. was worth it to see all the computer nerds freak out over the unrealistic depictions of networking.

It's a drat shame the series died after Jaws 18 which was a very fresh reboot at first then there was that stupid scene at the end with an exploding oil rig which, to me, felt like a forced message of environmentalism. Though overall it was worth it for the musical number.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I think it's a bold choice to have the Sharks be the protegonists in Jaws 19, but I think it's going to bring a fresh new perspective to the franchise.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Justin Godscock posted:

J.A.W.5.7. was worth it to see all the computer nerds freak out over the unrealistic depictions of networking.

It's a drat shame the series died after Jaws 18 which was a very fresh reboot at first then there was that stupid scene at the end with an exploding oil rig which, to me, felt like a forced message of environmentalism. Though overall it was worth it for the musical number.
:ssh: Jaws has been about environmentalism since like 6. Like that's the franchise's thing.

Except who the gently caress knows what the message of 10 was about.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I think Jaws 12 was the best in the series and easily Bela Tarr's best film.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I liked the one in space. What was the tag line? Jaws Wars?

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I still don't think anything will capture sheer emotion like Robo-Jaws' "I always knew I'd look fake" monologue. I hope Jaws 19 will bring back that kind of tragedy to the character, but I doubt it.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Sorry, I gave up on the series after the Jaws vs Sharknado side film.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Can't believe there's been 19 Jaws films

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I hear they've signed the actor who played Flipper to play Jaws. I don't know if that's progressive or offensive.

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope
Pfft, Shark still looks fake.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I lost faith in the series with Air Bud 6/Jaws 13: Bark Attack. I mean seriously... "the rules don't say a dog can't play the shark"?? Come on.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Jaws 12 was decent but the editing really took me out of the movie.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I'm just saying I don't give a gently caress what anyone on the internet thinks. Idris Elba should play the shark.

Eh.

He'd be perfect for a Street Sharks adaptation though.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Jaws 11 and 12 should've been heist movies. Jaws 13 should've been like F13 6, a goofy slasher movie set at a summer camp (near the ocean).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This joke sucks.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Lurdiak posted:

This joke sucks.

Kinda like your selections for the Scream Stream this month.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Kinda like your selections for the Scream Stream this month.

That's the weakest burn I've ever seen.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

That's the weakest burn I've ever seen.
We're gonna need a bigger shitposter.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Timeless Appeal posted:

No way, they need to bring back Affleck. Didn't you see him in 12 and 12.5? Kevin Smith joked about it, but they made it work.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
wow mods goldmine please

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Grendels Dad posted:

I liked the one in space. What was the tag line? Jaws Wars?

Star jaws.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

As far as I'm concerned there are only 4 Jaws movies: 1, 2, Jaws: the Revenge, and Jaws: God Emperor of Dune.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Pass. Max Spielberg hasn't directed a single good movie since his dad stopped consulting on his films.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Star jaws looks like it should be a palindrome,even though it isn't remotely one at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
I hated the reboot, the new shark looked nothing like the original.

• Locked thread