Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

senrath posted:

The first three generations of Pokemon games all have some manner of ACE in them, although I think the version the Gen 3 games have is so convoluted and slow it's faster to beat the game normally, so the speedruns don't use it.

yeah there's a whole separate subculture of people who just hunt for aces in every game because that's fun to them. they don't really care if it enables a faster speedrun or not. they just want to manipulate code pages as a bunch of goo guns after falling off the screen in earthworm jim or whatever. i wish i had the patience for that kind of thing but programming's already my dayjob and i just can't muscle the willpower to do more, sometimes harder programming at home as a hobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Wow this is pretty cool! I like how even the 2D scenes are included on the list even though there's nothing to see :allears:

Am I misremembering or are some of the textures and colors a little off? The central column interior in the water temple didn't look right, for example.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Sadly it doesn't work in Firefox.

Because I guess Firefox killed WebGL support while they were working on killing everything else that made Firefox worth using like extensions and themes.

Oh well.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Yeah, the game has places it uses more than one texture at the same time and blend between them, and my code doesn't implement that feature yet, because, honestly, look at all this trash. A project for a rainy day, I guess. But I've basically moved onto newer projects, like:

(and when I say "newer", the last time I touched any of this code was around a year ago, so...)

Basically, a thing about Nintendo formats is that since no game here is cross-platform, implementing a model viewer actually gets down to implementing 90% of the GPU for that platform.

Xenoveritas posted:

Because I guess Firefox killed WebGL support while they were working on killing everything else that made Firefox worth using like extensions and themes.

Oh well.

I develop exclusively in Firefox, dude. Works for me?

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Xenoveritas posted:

Oh well.

It even works on Firefox mobile.

Although obviously you can't do much without a keyboard.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Checking the Firefox console it just says "TypeError: gl is null". It used to work since I've used it before but that was before upgrading to Firefox 45.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Xenoveritas posted:

Checking the Firefox console it just says "TypeError: gl is null". It used to work since I've used it before but that was before upgrading to Firefox 45.

Works fine in Firefox 45.0

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N

DoctorKill posted:

A guy named mzxrules, who has done a lot of Ocarina of Time code dissection, made a romhack that randomized all the entrance values of the game and called it Beta Quest. So any time you go into a loading zone, instead of going where it's supposed to take you, you end up at a random other entrance.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Is...is there something you're not telling us, Doctor Kill? :ohdear:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Is...is there something you're not telling us, Doctor Kill? :ohdear:

No, I'm fine. Everything is fine. Dish has been taking care of everything.

edit: oops, wrong account

Suspicious Dish fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 10, 2016

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!
There is unfortunately no way of coping with listening to Linkin Park, sorry Doctorkill

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Carbon dioxide posted:

Works fine in Firefox 45.0

What, do want me to post the screenshot of the blank page and the error message in the dev console? All I get is a null value error, which is what happens when you try and use getContext for a context the browser doesn't support (such as, in this case, WebGL).

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
tables with human feet is a nice touch.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Everything I've read about Firefox recently indicates its in a weird spiral of instability and inconsistent behavior right now, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's just not working randomly, where it might be fine on a fresh install on a different system.

Reimou
Jan 20, 2015
That video was hysterical! I'm sure that Doctor Kill felt obligated to live up to his name at some point during these LPs.

Also where can I can that epic desktop background

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
So what's up with this chicken pot pie

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
So between the incessant calls from Dish's friends asking me where he is and the pending criminal investigation life's been a bit hectic, but that doesn't mean I don't have a video ready! Luckily we recorded this a while ago.

Part 13: A Couple of Tasks to get the Couple's Mask

This time ThornBrain joins Suspicious Dish and me. He's a lil' shy boy so he's a bit quiet, but regardless he helps us finish up the rest what I had planned for the Randomizer: the Couple's Mask quest and the final boss. And let me tell you, this last session... it's a loving disaster. A lot of poo poo goes pretty wrong, some of it my fault, some of it a little less my fault. There was also a lot of waiting around, so this episode and the next are probably more heavily edited than the other episodes.

But we're almost there! This episode is exclusively Couple's Mask bullshit and the next one is Majora. After that, I will have nothing left, and my body will decompose into a quantum slurry of subatomic particles and radiate through spacetime forever. I'm so excited.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

DoctorKill posted:

But we're almost there! This episode is exclusively Couple's Mask bullshit and the next one is Majora. After that, I will have nothing left, and my body will decompose into a quantum slurry of subatomic particles and radiate through spacetime forever. I'm so excited.

That's my favorite part of finishing an LP, yeah. Real relaxin'

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
What is your favorite elementary particle to assume an aggregate of? Mine is the Z and W bosons, love those little motherfuckers

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm a strange quark kinda man myself.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
my friends call me beck cause im a bose einstein ckondensate

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:

DoctorKill posted:

What is your favorite elementary particle to assume an aggregate of? Mine is the Z and W bosons, love those little motherfuckers

Bofa

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
I heard about that bird that drops rupees before. I think it might have been in the Nintendo Power guide.

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010
On the subject of beta quest; it actually seems really easy to beat? I recently tried it and won on two separate files relatively quickly as all you need are three things; a warp to kokiri forest for the sword, a warp to ganon's tower to somehow get the master sword (it even lets child link equip it for some reason) and the warp to the final battle.

As for the LP itself, this is a beautiful thing and I would actually be interested in watching a bunch of different runs of beta quest and randomiser live; this stuff is super neat to watch for me. Great work Dr Kill!

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Does time reset to midnight when you do Sakon's Hideout a second time?

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Ledgem posted:

On the subject of beta quest; it actually seems really easy to beat? I recently tried it and won on two separate files relatively quickly as all you need are three things; a warp to kokiri forest for the sword, a warp to ganon's tower to somehow get the master sword (it even lets child link equip it for some reason) and the warp to the final battle.

Dying in the tower collapse automatically puts the Master Sword on B (regardless of whether you have it or not) because of the Ganon fight: if you happened to die during the first phase when your sword has been knocked away you would become swordless, so the developers decided to fix that problem by forcing the Master Sword onto you.

And yeah, BQ can be pretty short and easy if your aim is to do nothing but beat Ganon. If you want to do that as fast as possible, filenames 2585 or BBp let you pick up a Deku Stick and go straight to Ganon. Of course you'll have to use ISG to damage him and keep your stick.

If you want an actual challenge, try doing an all bosses run or a bingo.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N

tiistai posted:

And yeah, BQ can be pretty short and easy if your aim is to do nothing but beat Ganon. If you want to do that as fast as possible, filenames 2585 or BBp let you pick up a Deku Stick and go straight to Ganon. Of course you'll have to use ISG to damage him and keep your stick.

You can't use ISG without a shield. But you don't need ISG to beat Ganon! All you need is a single, broken deku stick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW6wrOR92ck

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010

tiistai posted:

Dying in the tower collapse automatically puts the Master Sword on B (regardless of whether you have it or not) because of the Ganon fight: if you happened to die during the first phase when your sword has been knocked away you would become swordless, so the developers decided to fix that problem by forcing the Master Sword onto you.

If you want an actual challenge, try doing an all bosses run or a bingo.

Ah. Neat!

I have been going for all bosses on my second run after I beat it a second time. I really love these weird hacks of games I know inside and out normal gameplay-wise even without knowing how to do most speedrun techniques.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

DoctorKill posted:

You can't use ISG without a shield. But you don't need ISG to beat Ganon! All you need is a single, broken deku stick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW6wrOR92ck

Oops yeah

Now I feel silly

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
Final: Majora the Major A-Hole

Hey look, we made it to the last episode! The majority of this episode is fighting Majora, and I'll let you decide if that's a good thing or a bad thing. We also get the final item that we could get, from the Fierce Deity Mask trigger. What item could it possibly be? Will it be good, or a huge disappointment? Hint: it's the second thing.

But that's the end of my LP! There were some missteps and some drawn out parts that I'm not happy with but overall I had a good time and I hope you guys did too. Thanks everyone for watching, and thanks to all my commentators!

As a side note, I threw in some extra stuff in the credits, so it's worth watching through them.

DoctorKill fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 16, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the LPs, DoctorMoon MoonKill MoonDoctor! They were fun and educational, in a thoroughly impractical sense.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Help me, Oppan. You're my only hope.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Thanks for the LPs, DoctorMoon MoonKill MoonDoctor! They were fun and educational, in a thoroughly impractical sense.

As is most education, unfortunately. At least we had a Doctor teaching us for this class, rather than Teaching Assistant Kill.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

So what's next? I'm going to miss your videos. :coffeepal:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Not sure if you noticed this but after the weird glitch that caused you to warp out of the Majora battle and back to the field on the moon the Fierce Deity's Mask was taken out of your inventory! What happened there?

was it simon's fault?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Thanks for this! I ran the randomizer on my own a while back and man, it was a lot of fun. Didn't finish it because, as with most randomizers, it gets a little boring after the initial laughs of finding a really good item from lategame early on but it's still a fun thing to try out now and again.

edit: Oh yeah, when I tried it I played with fcommas as my filename and yeah, #blamesimon, that was pretty crazy.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
In case anyone wanted to see the end item list outside of the video, here are some perfectly presented and not at all cluttered charts I made to show them all:

So I never got the Seahorse during the LP, but checking afterwards showed it to be Bottled Fish. Through process of elimination this meant that Chataeu Romani had to be Red Potion.

As for what we couldn't get? The three items we never received in our inventory were the Kokiri Sword, Bunny Hood, and Mountain Deed. Obviously we had the Kokiri Sword most of the time, but we never received it as an item collection thing. In any case, these three things align with the three triggers we couldn't activate, but I have no way of checking in what way they line up. Unfortunate!

I couldn't activate the triggers for getting the Postman's hat, Mountain Title Deed, and Ocean Title Deed. I couldn't receive the Postman's hat because there wasn't enough time for the postman to deliver the letter, and I couldn't get Mountain Deed because there's no way to get the Swamp Deed off the moon to trade it in. Presumably one of these things is actually the Mountain Deed, which is why we couldn't get the Ocean Deed. Either that or the Ocean Deed results in getting Mountain Deed, which would have locked itself out.

Mak0rz posted:

Not sure if you noticed this but after the weird glitch that caused you to warp out of the Majora battle and back to the field on the moon the Fierce Deity's Mask was taken out of your inventory! What happened there?

was it simon's fault?

Yes

Actually no, only everything else was his fault. And I didn't notice that! But yeah that's part of the game, I just didn't know it still did that in the Randomizer. In normal play you get the Fierce Deity Mask from the kid, before fighting Majora, but theoretically you could just song of time right after you get it to take it off the moon. They prevent that by actually taking it out of your inventory if you save, or die to Majora. It only 'saves' into your inventory during the credits.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I take full credit for my actions and show no remorse. Mods, rename me to MoonMoon.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I look forward to MoonMoon's X7 randomizer playthrough, hit me up to guest of you require false stress over audio and/or a new avatar

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
SimpMoon SiMoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?
Congrats on an LP well done, Doctor Kill! It's been a fun ride as both a viewer and participant! As others have said, I do hope you decide to do another LP at some point in the future, this and OoT have been great!

• Locked thread