Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Do you mind if I ask how much you paid? If you'd rather not say, then don't worry about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
$199. These were actual venue tickets, not the resale tickets. They were between $130-600. They sold out in 45 minutes.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i'm going to nyc for a week and a half but i'm not gonna bother with the cancellation line, where now i hear insane people are waiting 30 hours for premium tickets. just gonna enter the lottery every day and shrug if i don't get a ticket. better shows to see anyway

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
They just changed the rules for the cancellation line today, actually.

So it might not be as crazy. Still probably will be many, many, many hours though.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

that'll just mean more exhausted and delirious people in the crowd each night, the cult of this show knows no limits and pauses not for such petty concerns as human biology

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Someone's going to die of a ruptured bladder in line.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
catheters and colostomy bags will become the new hip Broadway thing

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Troposphere posted:

Only artisanal organically made ones from Brooklyn or Soho though

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Troposphere posted:

The urethral drip you can wear on your hip! Get yours at the concessions booth!

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Alter Ego posted:

How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying (with Daniel Radcliffe as J. Pierrepont Finch).

just reading through the early thread and my heart hurts at this one. how to succeed is such a smart, potentially biting show but a lot depends on the person playing finch. robert morse is still the gold standard and neither broderick or radcliffe did anything to change that.

radcliffe had none of the conniving or mischief the role demanded despite putting in a ton of effort. that revival was weak as hell and i'm sad a decent production won't come along for another ten years at the earliest.

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

I saw Disaster on Sunday and just... go see it. Before it becomes insanely popular and you can't get tickets.

people are going to have real problems getting tickets now!

R. Guyovich has a new favorite as of 22:21 on May 12, 2016

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Revivals can come along more often if there's a reason to. Bernadette's Gypsy was 2003-2004, and Patti did Gypsy at City Center in 2007 and then the real thing in 2008.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Anne Whateley posted:

Revivals can come along more often if there's a reason to. Bernadette's Gypsy was 2003-2004, and Patti did Gypsy at City Center in 2007 and then the real thing in 2008.

As Forbidden Broadway called it "The annual Gypsy revival."

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
If we go below 35 Gypsy revivals a year, the bus will explode.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

it's certainly POSSIBLE that another revival could come along sooner, but it requires a real smart, comedic talent to play the part, and even moreso a YOUNG, smart, comedic talent, which would mean taking a gamble on someone who isn't a big name. it's not like gypsy where you could throw a grande dame of the broadway stage in and make a big pile of money.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If people keep j/o over Jeremy Jordan the way they are . . .

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Aaron Tveit isn't that young but he plays young. He could do it.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

in fairness they haven't really done parts to showcase it, but i have my doubts as to whether either of those guys, grown in a lab to be handsome and charming, could be funny. but it's a possibility

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

aBagorn posted:

Jesus Christ Superstar is awesome, though, and I will defend Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat to the death. So underrated

Unless otherwise stated, my theatre going is limited to the West End (although when stuff comes out to the provinces on tour, we hit that up -- support local theatre!) --

I saw Joseph about 15 times or so across the various years it played in the West End; if it ever comes back, I'm all in for that.

I would love to see JCSS on a West End stage, and not one of the big O2 arena extravaganzas.

I've managed to see Evita on stage three times -- 1982 on Broadway, and then the two times it's been in the West End in the past decade or so.

Singin in the Rain on stage in London recently -- just fab! Loads of fun. The crew who had to mop up the stage during the interval got a huge cheer and round of applause when they'd finished. I love live special effects, so I was like a little kid going Wow, they've made it rain in the theatre! :3: It was also amazing and fun how they kept breaking the fourth wall to make the audience part of the audience (for example, at the beginning during the stars' on the red carpet premier, or at the end we became the audience for the premier of The Dancing Cavalier).

Jersey Boys was a knock out, as well. My Fair Lady about 10 or 12 years ago in Drury Lane -- amazing because the theatre there still uses all the old 19th century gears and stage equipment.

Wasn't too keen on Charlie and the Chocolate Factory but only because I kept anticipating songs from the original film! So that was me more than the production.

I've seen Sunny Afternoon half a dozen times, including when it was still out in the fringe -- partly because it's the Kinks, and partly because I had to take notes for a publication, so needed repeated viewings. Ray Davies actually showed up at a strange staging of his play Come Dancing, which was neat, because we got to see Ray for about £5!

Later this week I'm going to see All of Nothing, which is the Small Faces musical on stage at The Vault (which is under Waterloo Station).

I like live theatre in general, and musicals on stage can be so much fun!

ETA - Villain songs -- Barry Dennen does some amazing things in JCSS as Pilate -- vicious as can be when he first confronts Christ, his face suddenly changes to an 'oh poo poo!' when he looks Christ straight in the face and realises the significance of the man he saw in a dream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhru3GXbkHY

And Rik Mayall veers from fruity to frightening as Herod in his take on the character

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaOfBQ5uw6M

Ms Boods has a new favorite as of 16:01 on May 14, 2016

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

saw shuffle along today and believe it to be more than deserving of best book and best choreography over hamilton. musical too tbh but there's no way that's happening. adrienne warren should give renee elise goldsberry a fight in featured actress but won't.

also saw the new musical from stew and heidi rodewald at the public, the total bent, and loved it. it's never ever getting a broadway transfer (which is a joke in the show) but lots of folks should see it while it's still up in nyc

agatona
Oct 29, 2010

So. Hamilton. First time I ever listened to a cast album over and over again. I just discovered this last week so it's still new to me. I am new to musicals and have only seen a few here ever since I moved to Australia. Les Miserables, Wicked, Lion King and Cats. What's my favorite? Can I say Hamilton even if I haven't seen it yet? The cast album has done a good job at painting the picture. I can imagine the show right now. I agree that Miranda is the weakest cast member. I love Daveed. The King's songs always makes me grin. Leslie Odom is great. I wish they would make a video of this show with the original cast. The Schuyler sisters are awesome. I'd buy it!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Haha, my husband actually can't listen to Hamilton because of Miranda's voice.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I think my love for Lin as an incredible person totally overshadows any issue I may have with his voice.

The rest of the cast is incredible though, and even though Lin will absolutely be gone by the time I go, I hope many of the rest of them are still there, especially Daveed and Leslie.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Haha, my husband wife actually can't listen to Hamilton because of Miranda's voice.

This is exactly my situation as well.

And I get it, I totally do. Lin has a very, for lack of a better description, excitable and whiny voice. I can really see why a lot of people wouldn't like it.

But, like the above poster, I am definitely too smitten with Lin the person to cause the weak voice to bother me while listening.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i've definitely swung back on the pendulum and now can't stand hamilton, for what it's worth (nothing), especially after today's price hike announcement.

got back from new york about two weeks ago and saw: dear evan hansen (breathtaking), shuffle along (spectacular), fun home (inventive, masterful) and the color purple (cynthia erivo). not a bad show in the bunch, although fun home would benefit from another viewing on the other side of the stage.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Went to see Curious Incident last week. I really really liked it. It's something that's such a spectacle you really can't describe it.

Next week I'm seeing Aladdin. My parents got us all tickets as a birthday/graduation present for me. I guess I should be excited. I'm sure it's good, but it definitely wouldn't have been my first choice.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

oh i saw a mess of plays, too, including curious incident. rush tickets get you the very front row which is a neat experience. for a while i wondered why that part required an alternate — now i know.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
Does anyone have thoughts on American Psycho?

I'm... I don't know if I would identify as a "fan" of the book. I've read it a couple of times over the years, always with interest but perhaps not enjoyment.

I've listened to the London cast album, and in the last month or so, people have started posting bootleg footage of the Broadway production on Youtube. So I've watched that and... I'm still thinking about it? I'm not sure I know what to make of it. On first blush it seems like many of the individual components are quite polished and enjoyable. But the show itself seemed like less than the sum of its parts. (Of course, watching it on someone's bootleg is a poor substitute for live performance.)

If pressed for an opinion, I think I'd call the show "successful" in a very broad sense. I watched it a few days ago and it's still taking up space in my brain. But it could just be that I have the sensation that it could be better and my brain won't drop it until I've "solved" the show. (IE Chess, which I adore but... has its issues.)

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I adore the book and I loved the audience audio recording of the play in London. I haven't managed to bear witness to the Broadway version but I thought the show did a really good job of not only making Bateman scary but making his world terrifying and claustrophobic. The satirical elements become this kind of suffocating cage, and you really get a good understanding of how Bateman feels when he discovers that he can do whatever he wants and get away with it, and when he realizes that he now has to put up with himself, privately, having had these thoughts. The music/lyrics didn't quite rock my world but there were a few really good bits (the clothes song was a standout). I'm really bummed it folded so quickly on Broadway, because it's a really unusual piece.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
I saw the Broadway version in previews. The design was great, but I thought the first act dragged on a bit. They obviously wanted to save the first murder that everyone remembers from the movie for the act finale, so everything up till then starts feeling like padding. They seemed to hit the same couple plot beats a few times. The second act was a lot better, and where they obviously started having more fun with the concept. The humor felt a bit uneven, as the original satire they kept felt really dry and restrained next to all the camp they added in. There was some pretty good music, but the only songs I've really gone back to listen to are the Tears for Fears and the Phil Collins covers.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

The second act definitely did more interesting things with the material than the first. Act One was straightforward setting the source material to music. The stuff in Act Two was more... theatrical, I guess? I'm thinking particularly of "Killing Spree" and "I Am Back."

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Any London goons who want to see Hamilton can sign up for priority booking: http://www.hamiltonthemusical.co.uk

We have to wait til October 2017 though.

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009
So I decided to spend the money and watch the livestream of She Loves Me - definitely worth it. It is such a good production, and I could definitely see why it won the Tony for Best Set Design. It was absolutely gorgeous. :allears: Did anyone else catch the show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Here's the trailer for La La Land, an ORIGINAL movie musical coming from Damien Chazelle, the jazz-obsessed writer/director of Whiplash. It's a '50s L.A. period piece, reteaming Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone, and it looks fantastic:

http://www.avclub.com/article/emma-stone-and-ryan-gosling-have-excellent-chemist-239496

• Locked thread