Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which cover song deserves to win?
This poll is closed.
Alternative Pants: Riptide by Vance Joy 2 8.70%
treasureplane: Natural One by Folk Implosion 4 17.39%
Koivunen: Blue Spotted Tail by Fleet Foxes 5 21.74%
Radiapathy: Penelope by Pinback 3 13.04%
Hawklad: Jacob's Ladder by Rush 9 39.13%
Total: 23 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
The latest contest out of the Musician's Lounge is here! Listen to goon-made cover music and vote for your favorite! The theme this round is Nature.

Alternative Pants: Riptide by Vance Joy
treasureplane: Natural One by Folk Implosion
Koivunen: Blue Spotted Tail by Fleet Foxes
Radiapathy: Penelope by Pinback
Hawklad: Jacob's Ladder by Rush

It's up to GBS to choose the winner!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva
Nice entries! Just some short comments:

In the end, my vote goes to Hawklad, just seems very well-rounded, not normally my cup of tea style-wise but it stayed interesting throughout and the guitar stuff was kind of awesome.

Alternative Pants was solid as always, just sounded a bit flat to amateur ears, but it's probably my second favorite. Really sounds like you are in a garage.

treasureplane I also liked, I am not familiar with Folk Implosion but I got a bit of a Queens of the Stone Age impression, no idea if that makes any sense at all, but it just seemed quite dark and groovy.

Koivunen, couldn't really get into the song at all.. I think the voice could be a bit louder in some places, sounds kind of drowned in the orchestra stuff. The voice still fits the background stuff, very chill.

Radiapathy, the music is really not my cup of tea. I don't think that has anything to do with your performance so I'll just not say anything. ;)

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
YEAH I am crushing everyone!

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

i voted for koivunen because it sounds finnish to me and for no other reason

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

just reaslied thats the op oh well

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice

Wuntvor posted:

and the guitar stuff was kind of awesome.

Please notice the whammy bar dive right here: https://soundcloud.com/hawklad/jacobladder#t=1:56

in case you missed it

Rodnik
Dec 20, 2003
Good job everyone!

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

no checkbox poll smh

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
Alternative Pants - I liked your high-energy take on the song. Another strong vocal performance from you, and I especially enjoyed the harmonies. (Hadn't heard the original before, but I like it.)

treasureplane - Pretty solid rendition. I was a little distracted by the processing on the main kick/snare. It became less of a problem for me once all the other parts came in… although I found myself wanting some more attack to those drums. And I do agree with your friend about sounding like the F.I. vocalist! (I was familiar with- and like- the original song, but for some reason never knew what it was called or who did it.)

Koivunen - I hear some real improvements in your production; the vocals are more forward and better balanced with the music than in your previous submissions. Vocal performance and harmonies are of course lovely, and the arrangement was pretty. (Hadn't heard the original before this week; it's a really beautiful song.)

Hawklad - When I was growing up I developed a strong distaste for Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and Rush, almost entirely because of the people I knew who liked those bands; it was dislike by association. I'm older now, and have come around to Floyd and am in the process of coming to terms with Zeppelin. I still have an almost instinctive avoidance to Rush, but I bit the bullet and endured the original Jacob's Ladder today so I could appreciate your version. I prefer your crisper/crunchier production, and greatly admire the shreddage. While your version mostly had a more modern sound, it still preserved that sort of earnest whimsy that I sense from my (admitedly very) limited experience with Rush. Nicely done.

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
Alternative Pants: Your songs always have such a great drive behind them, sounds like you have a lot of fun recording them. Drums were great, as always. Mandolin sounded great in mix also, gave it a bright, happy groove.

treasureplane: Great production. This is definitely one of my favorites. So much going on with the mix, very meticulously crafted to get that lofi vibe but still keeps it very interesting.

Koivunin: Such a pretty song, compliments your voice very well. Super relaxing and everything in the mix sits just perfectly together - piano, voice, orchestral flourishes.

Radiapathy: Good job totally changing up the style with your cover (something I didn't do). I can't really comment on electronic music as I know nothing about it. But the production was great and I thoroughly enjoyed your take on the song.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Alternative Pants: Where the hell is the download option? I NEED this in my library like you don't even know.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

treasureplane: Natural One by Folk Implosion
Like Wuntvor said, a definite QotSA feel on this. I could see this being in a haunted house rotation just on atmosphere alone. Not really my cup of tea but definitely well done.
Koivunen: Blue Spotted Tail by Fleet Foxes
As always I love your voice and I'll echo bringing it forward some to stay on top of the busier instrumentation sections. This may be my favorite entry of yours so far.
Radiapathy: Penelope by Pinback
This is scary good production. I can barely program drums, so this is really impressive to me. I wish I had more experience with electronic music, but I can say this is super lush and I love it.
Hawklad: Jacob's Ladder by Rush
Not sure if you knew this but I'm a huge Rush fan. Yes. That kind of Rush fan. Alex is pretty much my guitar idol as far as sound and chord structures go. Just for tackling a Rush song that wasn't The Trees you get huge points. I made sure to listen to this last, just because I was scared that I would instantly vote for it and not give everyone else a fair shake. Turns out that was a good choice. If I had to nitpick it would be the vocals, but that's just because you're going up against Geddy.
Hawklad gets my vote, but this was a great batch of entries, even if it was smaller than usual. I really think that everyone gets better as we continue to do this so I don't want to see it go anywhere anytime soon.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
Alternative Pants: Great drive, great energy. You vocals are so alive that they make the rest of us sound like we're sleeping on the job. And moreover, you actually managed to make that particular song tolerable, which is a feat in itself.

Koivunin: Dug it. You have serious skills as a vocalist, and your arrangement was admirably restrained -- very appropriate to the original. The mix was a touch muddy, but on the whole, very nice.

Radiapathy: I'm admittedly not the most receptive audience for this type of thing, but I can appreciate how you picked up on the dormant, inchoate danciness in the original and put it front-and-center. You preserved the original's sweet, yearning quality well, and the mix was crisp and well-balanced without being antiseptic, though it could have stood to have a little more bass action (at least through my monitors).

Hawklad: Not necessarily the audience for this one either, but I can definitely respect the sheer chutzpah needed to attempt to cover one of Rush's opuses. What's more, you pulled it off, I think. You absolutely nailed the arrangement, and your guitar skills speak for themselves.

treasureplane fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 11, 2015

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Lot of nice entries, but I've gotta go with Radiapathy on this one for the stellar production and also just for covering Pinback.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Thanks for posting, rockstar is usually great. Happy I caught it this time around.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Alternative Pants: Where the hell is the download option? I NEED this in my library like you don't even know.

Check it now.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

:rock:
You're the awesomest. Thanks!

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Wuntvor posted:

Alternative Pants was solid as always, just sounded a bit flat to amateur ears, but it's probably my second favorite. Really sounds like you are in a garage.
I'm not thrilled with the dynamic range either. I think there's a compressor or some kind of dynamic limiter hiding in the chain somewhere or in the mastering setup that Cubase has. The garage sound comes from playing around with a reverb over the mixdown track and making it about 2.5-3 seconds long, but also pushing way down in the mix, usually single digits.

Radiapathy posted:

Alternative Pants - I liked your high-energy take on the song. Another strong vocal performance from you, and I especially enjoyed the harmonies. (Hadn't heard the original before, but I like it.)
Thanks! Those harmonies nearly killed me on the last two choruses so I'm glad it paid off!

Hawklad posted:

Alternative Pants: Your songs always have such a great drive behind them, sounds like you have a lot of fun recording them. Drums were great, as always. Mandolin sounded great in mix also, gave it a bright, happy groove.
Those drums are the stock Cubase drum map. I'm massaging the EQ, levels, and velocities like you wouldn't believe. I hope to sample my actual kit at some point, but it would be better to actually learn how to play them the way I want them to sound. I'm not sure how I managed to mix the mandolin that way, but as bright as the timbre is, I'm not sure there's a bad way to mix it as long as it doesn't peak.

treasureplane posted:

Alternative Pants: Great drive, great energy. You vocals are so alive that they make the rest of us sound like we're sleeping on the job. And moreover, you actually managed to make that particular song tolerable, which is a feat in itself.
The secret to those vocals is to not care about sounding good and just put some oomph in your diaphragm. Best approximation is to just yell in tune. And yes, the original song is unbearable and (I hate to use this kind of terminology) beta as hell. I'm glad I made it at least tolerable.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
SIXTEEN VOTES and that's it?

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

*raises hands to the heavens* I got the I got the

*claps hands to jesus christ int he sky aboe* you got the you got the

*clasps hands together and holds them to myheart the brightest place where NO GURLS ALLOWED but me and jesus hang out to talk about love life and laughs and maybe just maybe learn a little bit about each other and maybe just maybe, about ourselves* i got the music in me

i voted

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

i didn't listen to anything but I still voted

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice

ThePriceIsRight posted:

That is the correct answer

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

ThePriceIsRight posted:

trump 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
no goku option, gas thread

• Locked thread