Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Edit: nm

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jan 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sialia
Feb 12, 2016

I am currently a nurse working in aged care. You can ask me about my work if you would like. I can tell you almost anything about the industry- at least here in Australia.

Here in Australia we have two sort of 'levels'of nursing, I have no idea how it works over there, but I am currently on the lower level (EN, or Enrolled Nurse), having studied a TAFE diploma, and I am also studying part time in an entirely-online course (Apart from the clinical experience) for the higher level (RN, or Registered Nurse).
I can tell you that nursing leaves you open with about 3498573846 different options for what you may want to do with yourself. There is aged care like myself, ER, ICU, theatre and recovery, nurse practitioner, teacher, quality control, and any number of other roles a nurse can take up. There is a huge shortage of nurses, at least here, and that means that once you have even a year of experience people are, at times, fighting over you to fill job positions.

The aged care industry I can talk in depth about. Aged care homes have a structure whereby, if you earn the experience, put on a smiling face and deal with the poo poo thrown at you (Sometimes litterally) you can climb the ladder very quickly and easily, and on a personal level I find the work incredibly rewarding day to day as residents and their families thank you for what you do for them. You make a real difference in this line of work, and it is never boring. There is also a sense of duty and responsibility that can make you nervous, but also allows you to feel good about yourself when you get poo poo done right. I worked in retail before my nursing and I feel a thousand times as fulfilled with my work, I love my job and wouldn't want anything more in the world now.

However, you must understand the study can be hard, but one of the best motivations to continue is to look at what you have now, and think ''gently caress this poo poo, I need something more''.
In the end I can't really say what you should do with your money and your life, that is introspection you need to take. If you have any questions, I can answer them to the best of my ability. I hope it helps, at least a little. It really sounds like you don't want to sit on what you have now for the next 40-50 years of working life. Study can be a very small fraction of your life.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Moneyball posted:

N-thing anyone who suggested community college and trades. Unless you are dedicated to getting into a particular field, not just looking to make a solid living, there is no need to rack up 50 - 100k or more in debt.

Nursing is sometimes grueling (at least from what I hear) but once you finish school, it's quite rewarding. I went to a trade school for commercial refrigeration for a total of $3k. Full disclosure, I didn't end up working in that field (finished an accounting degree) but people I know from it are doing quite well for themselves. There should be electrician training, oil/gas heat (probably avoid that) and wastewater treatment certifications as well. All can provide a good living.

Can speak for the others but Waste Water Treatment, at least in my state, is based on a license system that requires time working in the field to sit for tests. Pretty much have to get hired somewhere in advance of actually pursuing a career in the field which can be a painful oxymoron to overcome. It's a living wage though. :shrug:

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
Nm, gonna make a thread.

martinlutherbling fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 28, 2016

• Locked thread