Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My dog is a diamond in a pile of dust, she's super sweet and kind and i love her more than anything in the world. Recently i've found a decent job that allows me to move out and live on my own.

The problem is that she's way too scared, easily frightened and doesn't know how to be alone in a house all by herself. These kind of situations are rare in a house with me and my parents plus 2 cats, there's always some kind of company out there for her. But sooner or later i want to take her to my place and when that happens she'll be alone for long periods of time. When she's alone at my parent's house she constantly howls for hours and we sometimes get complaints from our neighbors. This is super awkward in my new house because that means any time i leave at night i'm risking having the cops come over.

I have no idea how to train a dog to be okay with being alone. Any help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Blessed with an unmatched sense of direction

Mans posted:

My dog is a diamond in a pile of dust, she's super sweet and kind and i love her more than anything in the world. Recently i've found a decent job that allows me to move out and live on my own.

The problem is that she's way too scared, easily frightened and doesn't know how to be alone in a house all by herself. These kind of situations are rare in a house with me and my parents plus 2 cats, there's always some kind of company out there for her. But sooner or later i want to take her to my place and when that happens she'll be alone for long periods of time. When she's alone at my parent's house she constantly howls for hours and we sometimes get complaints from our neighbors. This is super awkward in my new house because that means any time i leave at night i'm risking having the cops come over.

I have no idea how to train a dog to be okay with being alone. Any help?

I have a dog (Basset Hound) that also hates being alone. Weirdly enough, he freaks out if we leave him alone in the house or garage, but is super chill if we leave him in his crate with the door closed. I don't understand it, but its made my life a lot easier. Just have to make sure to get home on time so he can go to the bathroom!

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
find the dog a room mate

Quisty
Apr 10, 2008

I like to pinch.
Can you find a doggy daycare close to you or your work?

I used to bring my dog 3 times a week because she didn't like being alone and when you buy a big package of days, it ended up being $20 a day.

She got better being alone, so now I only bring her once a week.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers
Start very slow.

Start by putting her into a room (front door is also a good idea), then closing the door (with you on the other side) then opening it real quick, then give reward. Do this over and over again, until the dog is ok with it, then lengthen the amount of time the door is closed, 10s, 20s, go very very slow, this needs to be a game for her. After a while you will get up into the minutes, a rule of thumb is that after 15 min you should be good for hours.

The other thing you can do is crate training (just make sure its a good size that she can turn around in). This time you need to tie the door open and put treats into it for her, make it a game of going into and out of the crate, then you start closing the door for short amounts of time. Crate training is very handy for scared dogs, being confined to a small space comforts them and makes them feel secure. A lot of the time its the freedom in a large environment that they can't handle. Crate training in general is a good idea, in cases of emergencies.

Something else you can do is give her Kong's and other treats that take time for her to eat, deal with, this gives her something to do and before long she gets past the initial problems of being left alone.

Its also a good idea to combine all three of these.

1500 fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 4, 2015

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Is your dog a whippet by any chance? Mine cannot be left alone, we have tried literally everything but he's not the brightest of dogs and there seems to be no room in his head for anything other than "oh god they closed the door and I'm on the WRONG SIDE!!!" He's ok when we leave the house because he's in with the other dog so he just sleeps which is a whippets natural state. Took the collie out for a walk without him once and he howled and howled until we got back. If it was my dog, leaving him at my parents house while I was at work and doggy daycare on the days that I couldn't be there would be my option.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
Does anyone have experience or at least accounts about how a new, accompanying pet works to help deal with separation anxiety? I know it's probably naive to think adding another pet (which is a big decision) would solve the problem, but I usually hear other dog owners talk about how since they have x dogs in the house, they don't have a problem with separation anxiety.

I have a husky and may be in a similar situation as OP about moving in the near future, except I'm not so much worried about her making noise as I am about her destroying things. I've snuck up on my husky a handful of times when I had time and pretended to leave, driving the car out of the garage and everything, and went around back to check on her. It seems like she does her destructive behavior almost immediately after she thinks I've left, and very methodically at that. She doesn't whine, pout, or try to find me. I see her staring at the door to the garage, and as soon as she decides I'm gone, she makes her rounds jumping on tables to see if there's food or anything worth taking that she would otherwise never touch if I'm in the house. I've stood out back as she exited the dog door with a loaf of bread in her mouth, ready to bury it.

I'm just not sure what to do because she's disciplined when I'm around, but does sneaky things like this when left alone. I reprimanded her as I caught her in the act too, so I don't know how to further teach her about this when she doesn't do anything wrong in my presence.

Blackish Sheep
Feb 3, 2007

Even cartoon me doesn't know what's going on.
We just brought home a 1yr old rescue dog on Sunday and we're trying to get her more comfortable being left alone. I've tried going out for short periods of time and coming back but she pees in the bathroom. Just the bathroom. She's also run in there to pee when the cats scared her at one point. She has no trouble peeing outside so this seems to be an anxiety thing. How can I help her become more comfortable being by herself without crating?

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

learnincurve posted:

Is your dog a whippet by any chance? Mine cannot be left alone, we have tried literally everything but he's not the brightest of dogs and there seems to be no room in his head for anything other than "oh god they closed the door and I'm on the WRONG SIDE!!!" He's ok when we leave the house because he's in with the other dog so he just sleeps which is a whippets natural state. Took the collie out for a walk without him once and he howled and howled until we got back. If it was my dog, leaving him at my parents house while I was at work and doggy daycare on the days that I couldn't be there would be my option.

Weird, my dog is a whippet and is fine with being left alone for hours at a time. Not that I leave her often, but whenever I do she looks out of the window for a while and then just goes to sleep until we get back. She was crate trained and learned to be accepting of being left alone since she was 10 weeks old though so that probably helped a lot. She absolutely will not eat while we're out though, so sometimes I'll come home after 4 hours or so and she'll split her time between greeting me excitedly and running to her bowl to eat the food she didn't touch. She's weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gyrf
Aug 14, 2010
As the owner of a dog who came to us from the shelter with severe separation anxiety, I suggest you read this book.

http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/store/I-ll-Be-Home-Soon.html

It took about 2 years of training, but Danny can finally stay at home by himself for 5 or 6 hours without turning into a shaking, drooling mess like he used to.

• Locked thread