Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
What is the consensus on season 5? I thought it was fantastic and handled the groups decent into villainy pretty well. The last scene had Rick killing a dude execution style. Season 6 starts and everything is fine. No consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It'll be a flashback episode of Lucille. The cold open is of a tree just being a tree. Then we get to see it chopped down, split into various parts and we get a how it's made segment for a bat. The bat sits in a store. Zombie outbreak happens. We get to see someone use the bat and get killed. Negan finally shows up and finds the bat. We get a sensually shot scene of him wrapping the bat in barb wire. We see Lucille's first kill. We then get a montage of people getting bashed that ends with whoever died at the finale getting hit.

Spending an hour looking at the life of a bat will certainly be better than anything we're going to get.

It's always endlessly entertaining to me when people have better ideas for this show than what gets aired. On a very good show like Better Call Saul or something, people post very uneven ideas/theories about what might happen and usually they're dead wrong and what actually happens is so much better.

TWD threads on the other hand are sorta inverted and are usually chock full of fun fan ideas and what we actually get is much lamer.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

UmOk posted:

What is the consensus on season 5? I thought it was fantastic and handled the groups decent into villainy pretty well. The last scene had Rick killing a dude execution style. Season 6 starts and everything is fine. No consequences.

"Four Walls and a Roof" was, for me, when the whole series peaked. The catharsis in that episode was great. After four years of ups and downs, seeing them endlessly debate stuff like "what it means to lose our humanity" and making dumb decisions of leaving people alive that were clearly going to come back and bite them in the rear end time and time again, to finally see them outsmart and straight-up murder who we thought were the season Big Bads in what, the third or fourth episode of the season? That had me grinning like an idiot.

Now they're back to their old ways with Morgan and now Carol, and there's another almost-identical Big Bad they have to deal with...

I liked the way Andrew Lincoln made his face dispassionately twitch a little during that final scene (I re-watched it not long ago) executing that doctor. He might not be the worlds best actor, and his south American accent (purportedly - I wouldn't know) sucks, but one thing he does really well in my opinion is that psychotic murderer face. I remember reading this thread back when season 5 was on and after killing the cannibals someone posted that he looked like he was toying with a dog before putting it down, which I imagine probably isn't far off the level of de-humanisation you would have to do in your mind to be able to kill someone up-close in that fashion.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Cactus posted:

"Four Walls and a Roof" was, for me, when the whole series peaked. The catharsis in that episode was great. After four years of ups and downs, seeing them endlessly debate stuff like "what it means to lose our humanity" and making dumb decisions of leaving people alive that were clearly going to come back and bite them in the rear end time and time again, to finally see them outsmart and straight-up murder who we thought were the season Big Bads in what, the third or fourth episode of the season? That had me grinning like an idiot.

Now they're back to their old ways with Morgan and now Carol, and there's another almost-identical Big Bad they have to deal with...

I liked the way Andrew Lincoln made his face dispassionately twitch a little during that final scene (I re-watched it not long ago) executing that doctor. He might not be the worlds best actor, and his south American accent (purportedly - I wouldn't know) sucks, but one thing he does really well in my opinion is that psychotic murderer face. I remember reading this thread back when season 5 was on and after killing the cannibals someone posted that he looked like he was toying with a dog before putting it down, which I imagine probably isn't far off the level of de-humanisation you would have to do in your mind to be able to kill someone up-close in that fashion.

Rick went though a pretty believable transformation. From the sherif do-gooder in season one, to the borderline psycho you are talking about. It's was awesome.

Now they hit the reset button and he started s6 as "sherif Rick" again.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It'll be a flashback episode of Lucille. The cold open is of a tree just being a tree. Then we get to see it chopped down, split into various parts and we get a how it's made segment for a bat. The bat sits in a store. Zombie outbreak happens. We get to see someone use the bat and get killed. Negan finally shows up and finds the bat. We get a sensually shot scene of him wrapping the bat in barb wire. We see Lucille's first kill. We then get a montage of people getting bashed that ends with whoever died at the finale getting hit.

Spending an hour looking at the life of a bat will certainly be better than anything we're going to get.

Your ironic pitch sounds so much more awesome than anything WD has done lately, I totally want this now

Demand a Lucille Origin Story from AMC today!

ED: Seriously though, if you compressed that into a 3 minute opening, it would sincerely be cool. Just picture the Breaking Bad team editing that montage.

Last Chance posted:

It's always endlessly entertaining to me when people have better ideas for this show than what gets aired. On a very good show like Better Call Saul or something, people post very uneven ideas/theories about what might happen and usually they're dead wrong and what actually happens is so much better.

TWD threads on the other hand are sorta inverted and are usually chock full of fun fan ideas and what we actually get is much lamer.

Yep. This even happens a lot on Game of Thrones. Sometimes the theories hit the dartboard but usually they're wrong and what we get is cooler than the theories by a margin. Which is how it's supposed to be.

I honestly don't know how AMC hires it's writers.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 6, 2016

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Cactus posted:

:same:

It could turn the show into the No Man's Sky of TV. if you're unaware of this reference do yourself a favour and stay unaware

:troll:

That is one awful analogy.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Promising something and not delivering it, pissing off a lot of fans in the process, and generally being a mess of a product anyway despite some people enjoying it for what it is despite all that?

Not perfect but seemed apt enough.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I'm actually looking forward to the Talking Dead they're doing with the full cast. When Hardwick kept teasing it I was pretty sure it would be something lame, but getting the full cast and producers together at once is kinda a big deal, though I'm sure some of them will get the short shrift.

Has Andrew Lincoln ever even been on Talking Dead before outside of pretaped video?

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Blazing Ownager posted:

The thing AMC doesn't get, and some people don't get, is I'm not mad about a cliff hanger, or "did he die or didn't he?" I'm mad because they took one of the most important and memorable scenes and turned into a poo poo gimmick. You could hear disappointed groans like a chorus at that point if anyone watched it with others. It wasn't clever or a way to keep people on the edge of their seat, and I know for a fact this stunt lost them a handful of viewers (as in legitimately lost them, not "Posting on a forum saying I'm done with the show!" lost them): Not because of the violence, or attachment to the characters, or even the execution of all the dumb stuff in the season, but rather, AMC stopping just short of slapping you with their dick before jerking everyone around.

Add in the fact that AMC reportedly used this cliffhanger as leverage in contract negotiations and all I this is all I can say https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j95EHqxefwA.

The gimmicky cliffhanger was bad enough, but the reaction from the show runners and paid shill Chris Hardwick in response to negative audience feedback was also just completely off the mark.

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cactus posted:

He might not be the worlds best actor, and his south American accent (purportedly - I wouldn't know) sucks

Can confirm it does suck, but then again most brits can't pull off a southern accent that isn't cartoonish and exaggerated. Rick, Maggie and Morgan all sound extremely country and downright ridiculous sometimes while Hershel had a smooth as heck southern accent because Scott Wilson is actually from Georgia

I read somewhere that Andrew Lincoln doesn't like to watch himself or something so doesn't watch the show, which is a shame because maybe he'd dial back the "doin thaaangs" a bit if he heard how stupid he sounded

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://youtu.be/GKDk_r1jMEQ

Scenes like this were really great but also jarring and just downright ridiculous sometimes. Scott Wilson's southern accent is about as pleasant as they get so his monolgues were always great to listen to, except they're almost always preceded or followed by a thang of Rick's that pretty much took me right out of the show whenever it happened.

and rick loses more authenticity points in that scene for not saying "a whole 'nother"

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
His pronunciation of "Carl" is so bad that it's become a huge internet meme at this point... CORAL.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
my fav thing was when rick said 'lord of the raaangs' in like season 2 or whenever that was

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I have never noticed anything wrong with his accent and I've lived in Houston my whole life.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah it's a pretty standard accent. A little over the top for Atlanta but nothing strange for more rural areas. Seems more Appalachian than Southern

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Negan will have smashed a previously unseen walker that was sneaking up behind Rick. Then he'll smile and say "See I ain't so bad" before a second unseen zombie sneaks up and eats him.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hobo Clown posted:

Negan will have smashed a previously unseen walker that was sneaking up behind Rick. Then he'll smile and say "See I ain't so bad" before a second unseen zombie sneaks up and eats him.

It'll be revealed that Rick is actually a Necromancer and all those out of sight zombies that sneak up and kill people that disagree with him are under his command.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It'll be revealed that Rick is actually a Necromancer and all those out of sight zombies that sneak up and kill people that disagree with him are under his command.

Through a lifetime of great effort and concentration he was able to keep his powers under control, but then his coma happened and everything went haywire

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Negan killed Dumbledore.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Been re-watching the series, I really liked how Joe's Gang in season 4 they seemed like they were just trying to stay neutral in till the finale when they all turned into foaming monsters.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I need to re-watch. Thinking back to season 2 or whenever Shane died. Like, wasn't he advocating the type of leadership that Rick ends up embracing?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

UmOk posted:

I need to re-watch. Thinking back to season 2 or whenever Shane died. Like, wasn't he advocating the type of leadership that Rick ends up embracing?

That's what everyone says, but it'd be interesting to watch the first 2 seasons to see if things were really that different, if Rick really was such a wuss, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3793456 New seasons thread

• Locked thread