Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Do NOT come anywhere near the little bowl I spend all my time swimming around in circles. This is my bowl. I do NOT want to see any other fish in this bowl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 4, 2010

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

McZargalds
Mar 10, 2007
Over 75 Million Earthlingburgers Sold
Is its name Elliot?

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

How do you pronounce "bettas". Bay-tah or Bettah?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Binge posted:

Q: The genus name of the aquarium fish Betta splendens derives from the Malay word "ikan betah." The common name of the fish is also "betta," which in English we'd pronounce with a soft e. I often hear the pronunciation "bay-tuh," for both common and genus name, and just as often hear fish fanciers loudly object and insist on the soft e. But would it also be correct to use a Latin pronunciation for the genus name, which I think (not sure) would be closer to "bay-tuh"?

A: The answer is all of the above, any of the above, or none of the above. There is no single set of rules for the pronunciation of taxa, and no single interpretation of such rules as some have attempted to compile. As Michael G. Simpson notes under "Pronunciation of Names" in Plant Systematics (2006),

Although scientific names are universal, their pronunciations may vary from region to region, especially between different countries. For example, European pronunciations are often different from those of most American botanists. There are no firm rules as to how scientific names should be pronounced. Very often, pronunciations are influenced by one's native language. One should be flexible and adaptive with regard to pronunciations, as the overriding goal is communications.
Broadly, most English-speaking practitioners of science, medicine, law, architecture, and other disciplines follow traditional English pronunciation of Latin for the Latin and quasi-Latin terms in their fields. There are those who push for what is known as Reformed Academic Pronunciation, a system devised in the late 19th century which is supposed to be closer to the classical pronunciation, and which is closer to the way the words would be pronounced in most continental European languages. William Stearn favors the latter in his widely cited Botanical Latin (1983), but as countless papers, guides, and appendices note:

Professionals not only use different pronunciations from one place to another, but do not consistently follow the same system themselves.
People tend to pronounce names based on how they first hear them, as opposed to a particular system of pronunciation
English speakers don't agree on how to pronounce English; how would they agree on how to pronounce any other language or pseudo-language? (Yes, I am one of those people who is always going on about bruschetta— it's Italian, not French or German.)
Zoologists and bacteriologists moved away from requiring a classical basis for names some time ago, and botanists have moved in the same direction, so perhaps there will be less debate in the future.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

:wth: whoah a fish is making a thread?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Mr. Pumroy posted:

:wth: whoah a fish is making a thread?

He thinks it was a good idea but he's all wet

Smelly Bohemian
Aug 20, 2015

by Lowtax

Alpha Betta checking in

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.

Smelly Bohemian posted:

Alpha Betta checking in

:patriot: Brave fish knows how to serve it's country.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
I'm just here to put fifty bucks on the one with white spots and the attitude

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

My roommate has a betta. I named him Reginald since he never got a name, when you put a mirror up to his tank and he sees himself, he freaks the gently caress out.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

There betta not be any other fish in this thread.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Anyone else seeing that bouncy head? I sure hope so.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Binge posted:

If I'm around normal human beings I say Baytah. If I'm around fish spergs, I instantly say bettah because they expect you to know better.

AMA about betta fish names. I know them all. For instance:

This fish is named goku.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I have mollies but one just commit suicide earler today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
my ex had some bettas. they like to get into fights, kind of a rough and tumble fish

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I have mollies but one just commit suicide earler today

sorry

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Enfield posted:

my ex had some bettas. they like to get into fights, kind of a rough and tumble fish

bettas are the most alpha of fish

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

thanks for your concern but I can only blame my self.
there are social strife issues in my fish tank I think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
im a flagpole sitta

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I had a betta fish and I would catch bees or flies once in a while and throw them on top of his water and he'd eat them like a little shark.

The only other thing he would eat were the freeze dried blood worms. He didn't want any pellets or sand fleas.

One time I though I found a female betta in the store so I bought it and took it home. They didn't seem to want to fight when in tanks next to each other, so I put them in the same tank and they continued to not fight so hey I guessed right. By morning I had guessed wrong. The original betta was the winner but succumbed to his injuries a day later.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The Thai word for betta translates to "bitey fish" as in a fish that likes to bite. Generally less colorful bettas live wild in rice paddies and flower pots and poo poo over there and eat mosquito larvae.

Thai people have their bite fishes fight each other and gamble on the outcome.

raton fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 11, 2015

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Enfield posted:

One might even say they are rumble fish.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
im going to eat all the other fish in the bowl, how'd you like that sucker? buy me more fish to eat

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Good thread, take the forums back from the trout-lovers.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mentat Radnor posted:

Good thread, take the forums back from the trout-lovers.

I made both this thread and the Rowdy Trout thread.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

you toucha my betta a breaka u face

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

FactsAreUseless posted:

I made both this thread and the Rowdy Trout thread.

Just what are you trying to pull, playing both sides against the middle? What do you gain?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mentat Radnor posted:

Just what are you trying to pull, playing both sides against the middle? What do you gain?
I'm an evil Halloween pumpkin man.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
8==============D~ ~ ~ ~

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i wonder why my mom keeps getting replacement bettas whenever she kills one. and man, does she ever kill a lot of bettas. i suspect they simply lose their will to live in her apartment of despair.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine
Years ago I had a betta that suicided. Around sunset the lighting was such that he could see his reflection in the glass. He promptly began slamming his skull into side of the tank, doing his utmost to kill that mirage fish.

And what do you know, he succeeded.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Phobic Nest posted:

Years ago I had a betta that suicided. Around sunset the lighting was such that he could see his reflection in the glass. He promptly began slamming his skull into side of the tank, doing his utmost to kill that mirage fish.

And what do you know, he succeeded.

Badass

Hope you bought him a cool as gently caress black marble tombstone and put a pentagram on there

tokomon
Aug 23, 2007

:3: SCALE ITCH :3:

I have a betta.
He's blue with red and white fins.
He's scared of a lot of things, but mostly he's scared of my mom's betta.
My mom used to have them both in the same tank with a little divider that didn't divide very well.
The other fish is big, black, and highly aggressive and three times a day he would break through the divider and kick the blue fish's rear end.
So now I have the blue fish in a tank by himself.

Well. That's my story. Have a nice day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

FactsAreUseless posted:

Do NOT come anywhere near the little bowl I spend all my time swimming around in circles. This is my bowl. I do NOT want to see any other fish in this bowl.

/shows you a mirror

• Locked thread