Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

like maybe having evil exist is in his mind better then having us be mindless slave drones who he forces to hug and kiss eachother all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Digital Fingers posted:

like maybe having evil exist is in his mind better then having us be mindless slave drones who he forces to hug and kiss eachother all the time

You cant have free will if theres only good stuff to choose from..defining what is evil is ultimately up to us

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Digital Fingers posted:

If god was really so good then why aren't we all just robot people with no free will, huh?

we are

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
lol u dumb

quote:

since when was omnibenevolence a required characteristic for the title "god"?
because otherwise they're abhorrent I think this was already answered in the text you quoted

quote:

was zeus not a god? because he went around literally raping people. he also indirectly started one of his people's greatest wars just for shits and giggles and so he could get out of a situation where he had to decide whether his wife or his daughters were prettiest.
The greeks gave their deities a lot of petty flaws and human characteristics, it's apples and oranges to compare them to the abrahamic ones

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
look every time I bring it up no one actually understands what I'm talking about, so it's in our best interest for me to not talk about it. sorry, that's just my History

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

Oli posted:

You cant have free will if theres only good stuff to choose from..defining what is evil is ultimately up to us

thats what i said

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

tetsuo posted:

lol u dumb
because otherwise they're abhorrent I think this was already answered in the text you quoted
The greeks gave their deities a lot of petty flaws and human characteristics, it's apples and oranges to compare them to the abrahamic ones

how is it apples and oranges?? we're comparing gods to... gods. the abrahamic god put a tree in the garden of eden for no apparent purpose other than to test his creation's blind devotion to his commands, he committed genocide numerous times for no apparent reason other than jealousy that other gods were being worshiped by people other than his people, and he killed a woman for having the audacity to glance in the direction of the giant fireball that used to be her home which god decided to annihilate for, again, no apparent reason. he encouraged his people to murder, enslave, kidnap and rape others (and each other) as long as it didn't get in the way of his being worshiped.

dude was every bit as petty as every other god to have ever existed. explain exactly what justifies the special pleading.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

how is it apples and oranges?? we're comparing gods to... gods. the abrahamic god put a tree in the garden of eden for no apparent purpose other than to test his creation's blind devotion to his commands, he committed genocide numerous times for no apparent reason other than jealousy that other gods were being worshiped by people other than his people, and he killed a woman for having the audacity to glance in the direction of the giant fireball that used to be her home which god decided to annihilate for, again, no apparent reason. he encouraged his people to murder, enslave, kidnap and rape others (and each other) as long as it didn't get in the way of his being worshiped.

dude was every bit as petty as every other god to have ever existed. explain exactly what justifies the special pleading.
the qualities of omnibenevolence, divine simplicit, omnipotence and omniscience attributed to the abrahamic turdlord weren't given to the peeps up mt olympus so again, apples and oranges.

what position, exactly, are you holding here? You can't judge the two by the same criteria since they lack similar attributes.

tetsuo fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 18, 2015

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

tetsuo posted:

the qualities of omnibenevolence, divine simplicit, omnipotence and omniscience attributed to the abrahamic turdlord weren't given to the peeps up mt olympus so again, apples and oranges.

what position, exactly, are you holding here? You can't judge the two by the same criteria since they lack similar attributes.

I am unclear on how it is that they lack similar attributes when every part of jewish mythology that describes god fails to distinguish him in any meaningful way from every other god that has ever existed for the purpose of this comparison

Homo Simpson
Oct 21, 2014

by Smythe
Lipstick Apathy
gently caress you and your jesus.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

quakster posted:

if you bludgeon anime haters to death on sight, you'll recieve 69 waifus each with a different personality quirk and different colored hair

Thats really funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

THats kinda random but I like it haha.

• Locked thread