Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Fun times for making hella cash once you get a jump drive is to do jobs for the Merchant Guild in really high level systems. With a fast ship you can do dead drop pickups and risky deliveries that can make you about half a million each while making you feel like Han Solo running blockades and dodging pirates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Gobblecoque posted:

Fun times for making hella cash once you get a jump drive is to do jobs for the Merchant Guild in really high level systems. With a fast ship you can do dead drop pickups and risky deliveries that can make you about half a million each while making you feel like Han Solo running blockades and dodging pirates.

Mercenary Guild sells the two best ships in the game and they're also quite good for this task. It's well worth your time to invest in both guilds; merc for the ships and merchants for the very useful gear they sell.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

boho posted:

ironically good/unironically awful music
I will loving fight you m8

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is there a way to tell besides instantly exploding which bounties are too strong before you get there? That's twice now I was cut to ribbons in seconds by lasers.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You short circuit the threat assessment calculations the moment you step out of the first system. The growth in equipment stats is fantastic for encouraging what feels like real and effective growth except for when it makes it impossible to judge if you should stay or go somewhere. Both yb rule of thumb and the in game threat assessment ratings.

Its generally easier to punch up against fewer bigger ships with better equipment than tons of little ships with worse equipment, so the best judgements you can make are often looking at radar on approach and avoiding missions that say swarm.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
The devs released the tracklist for the music if anyone wants it. I wish they'd just put out an album.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Its all in ogg in the install directory on the PC version. If you're a consoler, well its made it into bundles before, or else catch a sale, either way its usually less than paying for an album.

A lot of it is on album releases if you want to be super legit in paying the artist.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

RBA Starblade posted:

Is there a way to tell besides instantly exploding which bounties are too strong before you get there? That's twice now I was cut to ribbons in seconds by lasers.

While mission enemies scale based on your gear level, the ships that are just flying around the map have equipment / stats tied to the level of the system, which is also the level of the gear being sold in that system. They don't change regardless of your own level (go back to the starting system with good stuff and the pirates are the same, you can one-shot them).

So in a system selling mk 5-6 stuff you should expect the random enemies, thus also the bounty ships, to be much harder than in a system with mk 3-4 stuff. After that it's chance for what type of ships the bounty goes on and how big a fleet they have.

While you're still in the mid-range ships and gear, but have gotten out of the early systems and are flying all over the place, it pays to be cautious. Keep your finger on the button to drop out of warp early, so you can do things like pulse scan or even close the last 20-30 sm in sublight. Basically anything that avoids landing in the center of a pile of enemies will make not dying much easier. If you feel like being patient you can kill fleets that are way higher level, just by kiting and picking off the small stuff around the edges, then killing the big ship by getting under their weak spots.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Sioux posted:

And don't equip a mk.5 piece if the rest of your gear is mk.1. Enemies scale with your highest piece.

Sweet mother of gently caress, listen to this advice.

"I'll be clever and buy MK5 shields early! That way I'll have an easier time upgrading my mostly MK2 everything else!... Wow, everything seems WAY harder now. Oh my god what is happening? Well, at leas this Easy Difficulty Mission Frigate dropped a Mk 6 turret. That should help even the odds- :supaburn:"

You'll be okay upgrading piecemeal, just try not to let your best gear be more than one MK higher than your worst gear any longer than you can help it.

Also, Subweapon ammo scales with the amount of subweapon slots on a ship. So a ship with only one subweapon mount, will poop out mines or missiles just as many times as a ship with four subweapon mounts firing four of them at once.

I tried to make Dumbfire rockets work for me, but moving combat as well as my most hated enemies having a giant opening in the middle of 3/4 their hull they harmlessly pass through made me regret spending 90% of the game using Dumbfires "Because they have higher damage than missiles :downs:"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Dec 15, 2016

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I've found that magna mines can be pretty effective especially against big slow enemies where you can just shoot the mines right at them. They're also nice in that they have full effectiveness against both shields and armor while missiles are only really strong against shields.

On another note, it's a shame they never released any sort of expansion or DLC. Rebel Galaxy is exactly the sort of game that has a real fun base but is unfortunately lacking in variety. It would at least have been cool to have made playable all those ships you run into that you can't acquire.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Section Z posted:

You'll be okay upgrading piecemeal, just try not to let your best gear be more than one MK higher than your worst gear any longer than you can help it.

To go with that, be aware that each MK level of gear is +150% stats but +300% price. So upgrade stuff bit by bit, but also don't be afraid to step down on a part or two when needed. Like if you buy a new ship and have 2 unfilled turret slots, selling off one mk4 beam for 3 mk3s is an overall win.

Gobblecoque posted:

It would at least have been cool to have made playable all those ships you run into that you can't acquire.
there's a mod that makes a bunch of npc ships playable, mostly the small ones like gunships though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thanks for the tips! I got a mining laser and two other lasers and now I can actually fight back, it's helping a lot. Finally got a jumpcore, so after a few more plot missions I'll start hopping around then come back. I think I'm going to go for a ship with a load of turrets, load them up with lasers, and just thruster boost my way to victory, maybe use EMP flak to shut down fighter swarms. :v:

I'd use some missiles or ordnance, but you don't seem to get a lot and I don't like the idea of running out after a few fights.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

RBA Starblade posted:

I'd use some missiles or ordnance, but you don't seem to get a lot and I don't like the idea of running out after a few fights.

Yeah, swarm missiles are kinda :gizz: then :flaccid:
They do good damage and are great at clearing small ships, while they last. (Missiles are also good for turrets that are badly positioned, because missiles will no-clip through your own ship a bit.)

Eventually you should check out a shieldbuster missile turret, just for how much time it saves when fighting the big dreadnaughts. Those can have a ton of shield HP, completely zapping one quadrant with a missile lets the particle beams get to work right away.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I don't think shield HP is influenced by ship size. One of the many things that isn't quite intuitive with other space games.

A shieldbuster is mandatory for something like a late game corvette build, where you you need a shieldbuster to knock a quadrant out anyway because of DPS issues.

Otherwise ordnance turrets are good for sniper builds on smaller ships because of the range they tend to have, but large ships extend laser range so far out I found no reason not to disco in Frigates and bigger.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Smaller ships like Corvettes rely on their turrets to cut things apart, broadsides are an afterthought. As your ship gets bigger broadsides get more important.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

The Lone Badger posted:

Smaller ships like Corvettes rely on their turrets to cut things apart, broadsides are an afterthought. As your ship gets bigger broadsides get more important.

Like has been said earlier-

Psion posted:

Mercenary Guild sells the two best ships in the game and they're also quite good for this task. It's well worth your time to invest in both guilds; merc for the ships and merchants for the very useful gear they sell.
The Minotaur is a wonderful sweet spot of raw firepower and comfortable speed. Heavily armed enough to gently caress up big ships easily, fast enough to track and nail fighters with your broadside guns if you feel like it :fuckoff: The firing angles on the turrets are pretty nice overall as well. You are basically set to murder the poo poo out of everything the game can throw at you at that point. Without also wanting to kill yourself over your normal travel speeds (I always got the 'highest top speed' thrusters).

I gave up on "Vs Fighter" brand turrets., like flak and anti fighter missile turrets after a while. I got way more mileage just setting the targeting priorities of a normal turret or two to anti-fighter logic. Which also meant I'd have guns allowed to aim at big targets when I needed to, rather than have stuff I'm not allowed to shoot an enemy destroyer with. (Flak turrets and anti fighter missiles hit hard when they hit. But Flak misses it's shots a lot, and missiles catching up to well shielded heavy fighters late game stop immediately murdering them in one or two hits).

Now, flying a DREADNOUGHT that has a billion turrets anyways? That's when I'm happy to liberally sprinkle in missile turrets set to anti-fighter, and other niche toys because I'll still have plenty of slots to spare otherwise :getin: The Minotaur Detroyer has 9 turrets. Player Dreadnaughts have 12/13/16 Turrets.

The absolute most expensive part of buying bigger ships, is paying for all the extra turrets :v: Buying just a Dreadnaught itself is pocket change by comparison. Sub-weapons and broadsides you only need to buy one of. But Turrets need every individual slot filled.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

zedprime posted:

I don't think shield HP is influenced by ship size. One of the many things that isn't quite intuitive with other space games.

It is.

For player ships, there are hidden properties called "SHIELD_MULT" and "HULL_MULT" that multiply the HP of the shields and armor equipment. Shields are only above 1 on the dreadnaughts though -- the Polaris gets 1.2, the Sorcerer 1.25, and 1.4 on the Blackgate. Armor is a bigger spread and has bonuses further down the size list (a big frigate like the Dravius gets 1.4, the Arcturus destroyer 1.8, and dreads 2-2.5).

For AI ships, shield and hull HP are baked into the ship and they can have ridiculously higher amounts than the player. MK6 shields have 9370 HP. A pirate lord MK6 destroyer has 56000. (OTOH the recharge on AI ships is much worse, often less than half of same-level player shields. That's what makes it an interesting game of maneuvers, the player needs to turn sides to keep fresh shields up while staying on the same quadrant of the enemy. Of course it also helps that the AI is terrible at using deflectors.)

Re everything else of "what's best" or "you need this": there are different tactics that can use different items, plus the game is pretty easy overall, so a ton of things can be made to work. My recommendation is to play around with different ships & loadouts, rather than beelining for the "best" (sturville, minotaur) stuff. You get 100% cash back for trade-ins, make use of it!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

lmao I bought a jumpdrive, and went to a sector called Vengeance since it was the only one available from the starting sector. "Extreme difficulty?" I think, "But they all say that! I bet it's just flavor.". Five seconds after I jumped I ran into a destroyer fleet. :v:

I guess I should go rescue my aunt first. On the plus side I can kill swarms for 40k credits if I'm cautious and pull them piecemeal, since I have a mk.2 mining laser and 2 mk.2 precision lasers. The tachyon broadside rips the shields off capital ships, then I boost in and slice them apart. It's a pretty fun loadout! I killed a command ship with it (does that mean anything btw?).

I got a ramming deflector, are they worth they reduce damage absorption or is the damage not that great?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I think ramming deflectors can be decent, especially when used with something like the Scarab since you've got a ton of frontal firepower with all its turrets. I don't usually use deflectors much anyway since unless you're in a slow ship you can just switch sides when you shields go down. Also, when people say to get out of the starting system they just mean to not sit there grinding out missions since they pay low but still do the story stuff before leaving.

• Locked thread