Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spatula massacre
Aug 2, 2012

I don't want to be your little research monkey boy, the creature that I am is only going to destroy.
I'm trying to find a controller where I can assign for example a kick drum on one switch, and a snare on another, linked to a DAW, so I can hold a beat whilst my hands are full of other things.

My main criteria is A) there is virtually no lag, as this would completely mess up the process B) I’m able to load my own samples to trigger C) The switches are not super close together. I’m basically looking for something like a Novation Launchpad, but for your feet.
I’ve been looking at the Behringer FCB1010, but I’m worried as it uses MIDI, and would preferably use a better connection to my laptop as MIDI can experience delays.
I’ve also looked down the avenues of buying/making my own bass box’s and such with cigar boxes and pickups, but it’s not really the sound I’m after.

Has anyone done anything like this? I’ve checked out the net and while yes, people are in fact using their feet to cue audio samples/scenes, they’re generally not creating beats which need to be almost instantaneous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
When the pads get big enough to use your feet on you're looking at proper electronic drum prices.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=wirerealm-20

you're looking for something like the nord pad, big, designed to be hit harder and designed around no latency. nobody makes midi controllers for the feet, you'd have to get pretty precise with your toes if you want it around $100-150

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
poo poo, dude. Only setup I can think of is get an interface with MIDI that doesn't lag on you, get some MIDI foot triggers, and use them in a DAW that can take MIDI to the moon and back. I'm not really sure what better connection to your laptop you're expecting; this is kind of what MIDI was engineered for. I haven't explored it as much as I'd like to, but I know Ableton Live can make anything that can happen at all fire with a MIDI note, and there are plenty of foot controllers available. It would take some practice, but using the corner of a guitar controller or setting up some bullshit with tilting an expression pedal back and forth for kick on heel and snare on toe, having a MIDI channel trigger on a threshold the pedal would cross, seems like it could do what you need.

All else fails you could just assign two pedals on one of these to drum notes.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
using a (custom) gamecontroller, and a HID-to-MIDI driver could be an option I guess? if you whip something up in max or puredata to use as drums, you wouldnt even need the driver, as those can interpret HID input natively and lag should be minimal in that case.

arcade switches like these could work quite well for what you're trying to do: http://www.focusattack.com/sanwa-obsfs-silent-30mm-pushbuttons-black/

gut an old / cheap pc gamepad, solder switches to where the buttons normally are on the controllers PCB and plug it into your laptop. would need to build a custom case out of wood or something. should be really cheap to do though and a fun DIY project :)

Das Butterbrot fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Oct 25, 2015

• Locked thread