Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tvayisnihyaami
Dec 23, 2012

by Lowtax
I hate turn-based RPGs. This is my Game of the Year. What.

After becoming ULTRA-JADED about gaming with the cancellation of Silent Hills, this game re-established that games can be really, really frickin good.

This thing was made with an incredible amount of love, and it shows in every nook and cranny, every joke, every secret conversation you never thought a game dev would have thought to include. Tobyfox is the most thorough dev ever. I'm continuously impressed with how many things he thought to include in this game, and how he managed to make it all extremely fun the entire way through. You'd think you've seen everything in this game, but you haven't. There's always another amazing thing, another way to turn the genre on its head, another great joke you didn't see coming. And it stays engaging the entire time, supported by a cast of fantastic, endearing, hilarious characters. Great puzzles too, imo!

It avoids all the things about (turn-based and non) RPGs that I despise:
-There's no grinding (unless you want to)
-Battles are a great length and never overstayed their welcome for me
-There's no boring menu-navigation-only-based combat (bullet dodging/timing-based stuff really spices it up, as well as bossfights always having a new, really fun gameplay twist on them!)
-There's no unlikable/unrelatable characters that go on and on about you being the "Chosen One" or whatever
-No plot where you gotta go to the 7 temples and find the 7 sacred whatevers and then oh wait now that you've gotten those 7 sacred whatevers, you gotta go to 4 extra places and get 4 SUPER sacred whatevers...
-No backtracking (unless you want to! Backtracking is actually usually rewarded with more fun conversations and such.)
-No constant equipping and unequipping items because, oh, this one is +2 Def but -3 Speed but THIS one is +3 Speed and -2 Def but THIS one is immune to fire and this one is...
-It actually has a way more complex, useful moral than "Evil is Bad, Good is Good." Everyone has relateable motivations.
-The writing doesn't suck like 90% of RPGs. It has a wonderful sense of humor and a simple plot that is underlaid with complex emotions.
-Has jokes about anime, doesn't take itself seriously.

I could gush about it forever. Undertale's not only made me less jaded about gaming, but also less jaded about real life. It has a strong message about empathy that stays everpresent, while somehow not being cloying about it, or shoving the message down your throat. It's simply a wonderful experience, please play this thing!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Is it a better game then the Lowtax Banme thread?

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
no

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
i looked at some undertale youtubes and the game looks like garbage. the graphics are so freaking bad. im waiting until fo4 comes out thank you.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

got :10bux:?

don't buy a new account

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

Good Game.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

FIRST TIME posted:

Is it a better game then the Lowtax Banme thread?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It looks like Pokemon

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
tell me more about your lovely steam game indie dev OP

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
the g in gbs stands for 'general' not games?? get dunked on as you would obnoxiously say you lovely op lololololol

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety
Undertale is pretty cool, but I think I'm legally required to say that since I made the trailer for it.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

But it looks like poo poo. I guess the words are good or whatever, but who plays games for words? If I wanted to have fun with words I'd talk to my girlfriend or my dog or go on SA, which I'm doing now, but I'm not having any fun because we're talking about this dumb looking game.

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks
Not grindy? If the demo is anything to go on it has like, 2 unique enemies per dungeon and a boring as hell combat system with a trial and error running away system that encourages you to take like 20 minutes to convince every loving frog not to kill you. Your reward for gimping your level and spending way too long fighting battles like this is slightly diffdrent text dumps between battles that pat you on the back for being a good person and then more random battles.

Plus, the NES-era graphics made my eyes bleed.

Not saying it's a bad game, and I wanted to like it. I just don't see the draw of a game whose main selling point is a bunch of text telling me about the vitrtues of pacifism. Read a book or something unless you loving LOVE bullet hell shooters where you don't actually shoot back.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

im not going to buy it. well bye

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

Everdraed posted:

Undertale is pretty cool, but I think I'm legally required to say that since I made the trailer for it.

Control the OP then. Three lovely threads in quick succession within GBS is not a good advertisement for a lovely game.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
neveardx heard of it and your arugement isnt very convinc ing

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
game of the year, no joke

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
I haven't played it yet but it does sound like most people are betting on it being the game of the year.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

I've never seen a creature so alarmed at smoking

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

Great Game

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

not sure what that is

but I am inclined to agree

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety

Amazing Zimmo posted:

Control the OP then. Three lovely threads in quick succession within GBS is not a good advertisement for a lovely game.
If I could control people posting on the internet I'd have them give up on words and just make funny poo poo.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

The Grimace posted:

not sure what that is

but I am inclined to agree

http://www.enviro-bear.com/

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

Got myself a badger!!!

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Amazing Zimmo posted:

Got myself a badger!!!

Woah is this undertale?

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
i'm gonna buy your dad, op

sexually

total body workout
Nov 17, 2012
It was really good. I wrote a little poem about it.

"I agree
with the OP
about this here thing."

--total body workout, 'Three Line Poem'

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Woah is this undertale?

Yeah its a good game, eat fish and badgers and drive your car through a forest

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
undertale is a skeleton dating simulator

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

how much is undertale paying you op?

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

nah

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

loving viral marketign

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

poo poo not good!!!

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Amazing Zimmo posted:

poo poo not good!!!

This looks good

Noun Verber
Oct 12, 2006

Cool party, guys.
Sorry but since I'm not a subhuman troon, I don't think I would like this game.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Motherfucker posted:

the g in gbs stands for 'general' not games?? get dunked on as you would obnoxiously say you lovely op lololololol

Um, this is the Rowdy Trout, not GBS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I played the demo a long time ago and I hated it.

• Locked thread