Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lum
Aug 13, 2003

I'm doing some data recovery on my GF's old laptop harddrive (She told me she had nothing on it). I can handle that fine, but I'm wondering what's going on with this partition? Guessing it's the MBR, but why is there a name in Chinese on it? Malware?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Does it boot? 512bytes is the right size for MBR and the partial japanese/ Chinese characters could be caused by some sort of corruption. If the drive does boot and has a healthy MBR in addition to the mystery partition then keep a close eye on your bank account for the next few months.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
Is the drive encrypted?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I'm a wee bit anal-retentive, so I'm more concerned that the Disk1-01 and Disk1-02 partitions are out of order.

What's the ~100 MB partition that doesn't appear to be a UEFI boot partition?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

It does boot and it's not encrypted. It used to be the boot drive for my HTPC, now it's a secondard drive for said PC with the SSD as the main.

It's also not the drive I'm doing data recovery on.

E: I think the 100MB partition is the "system reserved" partition that you get when you install Windows onto unpartitioned space. The laptop it came from is too old for UEFI.

Lum fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 22, 2015

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Decided to copy all the data to a different drive and nuke this one from orbit (diskpart clean) it's the only way to be sure.

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.

Crotch Fruit posted:

Does it boot? 512bytes is the right size for MBR and the partial japanese/ Chinese characters could be caused by some sort of corruption.

The characters are gibberish, so corruption would probably be the best guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Third-seating corruption as the most likely cause of the label, though I wonder what seeing as it boots normally. Blowing it away and just starting the drive fresh isn't so bad; always good to do some house cleaning.

Which reminds me that I should probably do just that on my system drive.

• Locked thread