Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:

blowfish posted:

So basically OpenOffice LibreOffice with more money for developers (especially UI developers because open sores sperglords cannot be bothered to make an idiot friendly UI) to move it beyond matching winword 2000

also ATTN Timbo: make use of this market opportunity now that Jobs isn't around to poo poo on your lack of hipstr appeal anymore

LibreOffice got millions from Oracle and IBM and still manages to suck. I don't get how Apple hasn't jumped on this since they are pretty drat good at making software but somehow they decided that letting their iWork tools stagnate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Anything Oracle touches is going to be poo poo. It's part of Larry Ellison's gypsy curse.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
have you guys ever heard that song "free bird"? frikken classic

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

dad gay. so what posted:

have you guys ever heard that song "free bird"? frikken classic

please fly away.

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007

Doug Sisk posted:

Excel is the easiest way to make people in an office think you're great at your job. Closely followed by being good at powerpoint.
That poo poo gets you promotions.

Despite feeling like I do jack poo poo, I keep getting raises and bonuses because of this

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

BoonyPC posted:

Despite feeling like I do jack poo poo, I keep getting raises and bonuses because of this

its because no one else can do it and they dont want to admit it. they are stupid assholes. stupid assholes employ people to do poo poo they dont know how to do. soon you will be replaced by a robot. and then you will die.

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
I'm going to die???!!! Whhhhhaaaa

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

dad gay. so what posted:

its because no one else can do it and they dont want to admit it. they are stupid assholes. stupid assholes employ people to do poo poo they dont know how to do. soon you will be replaced by a robot. and then you will die.

More good point itp

On a roll

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

computer parts posted:

Yeah except you also have to convince idiot businesses to adopt it.

So you'd probably have to not only give it away for free (initially) but also spend a whole bunch advertising that you're giving it away for free.

Institutional inertia is a weird and wonderful thing. Especially since money spent on retraining office workers and lost due to dumb fuckers failing even at their training happens this quarter while savings aren't going to be relevant before the next.

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

LibreOffice got millions from Oracle and IBM and still manages to suck. I don't get how Apple hasn't jumped on this since they are pretty drat good at making software but somehow they decided that letting their iWork tools stagnate

Apple is a really good hardware company and arguably also a good OS maker, but in addition to selling hipster computing accessories they seem to flip flop between targeting different groups of professional users and then abandoning them (see also: mac pro).

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Sheep-Goats posted:

Seriously though one of you bastards needs to tell me what site I use or book I buy or whatever to learn Excel. I have a project that I want to do this weekend that involves doing stuff on Excel and I don't know poo poo about other than I used to be able to some math in there and make stupid graphs.

What kind of stuff do you need to know? There are hundreds of free tutorials on Excel but knowing what sort of "doing stuff on Excel" the project requires would help.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
I just use P% and CellPoint cos i'm not a scrub.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive

School Nickname posted:

Yeah I've finally got the hang of ggplot and holy poo poo it's so much better than excel. In fact, RStudio allows me to write professional PDFs, PowerPoint slides and even create dashboard apps. And it's free.

Th R graphics cookbook is one of my favourite books. I spend far too much time making fancy graphs in R

fakiebeanplant posted:

John foreman wrote a great data science book that teaches clustering, regression, optimization and document analysis in Excel.

Also Google sheets has cell functions (like excel) that allow you to do HTTP requests and more. Basically you can steal tables of data from any site (Wikipedia) and maintain formatting/rows and columns

Saying "learn r" in this thread is a litmus test for bitter 30year old computer jockey :boom:

Excel is imprecise and loving slow in comparison to practically any real stats tool. OK for proof-of-concept, but not fit for large scale or enterprise stuff. Books like that are like 'data science in ruby', some spergy attempt to eke the last drops of value out of an inappropriate tool

My tool chain is basically scripting for data scraping ---> Excel for collation and cleaning ---> R

DEAD MAN'S SHOE fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Oct 25, 2015

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

dad gay. so what posted:

pivot tables changed my life

I've done some crazy poo poo with macros and I still stay the gently caress away from these.

The best way to learn excel is by working somewhere where everyone else uses it, then springboard off of their work.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

Airborne Viking posted:

I've done some crazy poo poo with macros and I still stay the gently caress away from these.

The best way to learn excel is by working somewhere where everyone else uses it, then springboard off of their work.

The best way to learn excel is just to gently caress around with it. Try to do stuff that you would usually use a pen and paper. Make shopping lists, balance your budget. Anything. Figure out how long it will take to pay off your mortgage.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Excel is probably one of the best (or at least most powerful) pieces of software ever created. It's amazing that Microsoft could make something that good yet almost everything else they make is garbage?

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
Maybe the people making decisions at MS don't know how to use Excel so they let the dev team do whatever.

That Word on the other hand... well I think it should work like this and this and that and I like menu boxes here and....

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

They should release excel on the xbone

It'd be better than the other exclusives

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

School Nickname posted:

Graduate to R instead of giving yourself carpal tunnel trying to find a Sum function.

To be honest a combination of R and excel works best, since you can use R to create your appropriate csv in 10 minutes, then open it in up in excel. All your coworkers are amazed at how you converted wide data to long data in 7 hours (reality: 10 minutes) where it took them a week at best.

People flip out when I use R scripts to manipulate data. There was a kid whose job was to manually convert columns to rows in a big excel document.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

NightConqueror posted:

People flip out when I use R scripts to manipulate data. There was a kid whose job was to manually convert columns to rows in a big excel document.

:psypop:

I know corporate any large organisational IT can be loving dumb, but holy poo poo. Also isn't there a transformation tool even in excel.exe

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
MATLAB is like excel on steroids

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive

blowfish posted:

:psypop:

I know corporate any large organisational IT can be loving dumb, but holy poo poo. Also isn't there a transformation tool even in excel.exe

yep, copy paste transpose

lol that poor kid

McDowell posted:

if you mean its lost its mind and is even less user friendly, then yeah

Rond
Mar 2, 2015
Some guy even did a RPG with Excel... was fun during work.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

numbers owns because it makes my tables and graphs look cool and better

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

McDowell posted:

Bad analogy but matlab is powerful mathematical software.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

gary oldmans diary posted:

wordperfect has got to die

seriously, what the gently caress are people doing using wordperfect in 2015, you have to question your life decisions every time wordperfect opens.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
excel is actually an incredible piece of software that abstracted hard programming away from their users while still allowing for extremely powerful data manipulation, analysis and visualisation. im gay

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

How do I subscript in excel 16 for Mac

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

DeepQantas posted:

Maybe the people making decisions at MS don't know how to use Excel so they let the dev team do whatever.

That Word on the other hand... well I think it should work like this and this and that and I like menu boxes here and....

this is probably true.
i dont use excel much but when i do, i use it to tune slot machines to exactly 86.7% return to player

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Lolie posted:

What kind of stuff do you need to know? There are hundreds of free tutorials on Excel but knowing what sort of "doing stuff on Excel" the project requires would help.

I'd like to help a teacher

A) have a table where each students multiple choice answer is entered and compared to the correct answer and awarded a point if they match and none of they don't and left blank if it was left blank (so that students who didn't take the test just show up as a blank space or "no data" on evaluation, students who take it but leave a question blank could just have X entered as their answer or whatever). I would like to be able to enter more than one answer as being correct in the row responsible for the key and t/f for true false questions. It would also be cool if there was a row associated with the answer key where the number of points awarded per answer could be varied to allow weighting and throwing out bad questions from the grading scale.

A.5) if there are essay parts of the test or other manual grading there should be a way to enter those and later to get totals of just multiple choice or just manually graded and/or and total scores. So in other words a less complex set of fields where you're just entering scores directly for each question that plays nice with the comparative multiple choice fields.

B) it would be cool if the area for adding student scores could stretch to accommodate more students if say one was added a few weeks in and of course this list was autosorted alphabetically, also if there were separate areas for each class so that "period 1" didn't have to be entered manually for each period one student

C) each area should of course output percentage and point scores next to a students name

D) it would also be cool if it could produce a series of ranked lists of all students from selected periods while being able to add their scores and period notations after their name. So like if there are three periods of 30 students you get period one in order, then a space and period 2 in order, then a space and period 3 in order, then a space and all three periods shuffled together and then ordered. My question here is whether this should all be one big file or if I should use tabs or separate files for each period or what. Also it should be able to average each test to produce a final grade.

E) outputs of which questions were most frequently missed / awarded the least number of points if manually graded in two separate lists. I'm not sure how to handle this. Also like in D you should be able to select multiple classes and get per-class outputs as well as an all classes output. It would be interesting if excel would automatically identify particular questions that a group did much worse on than the aggregate (presumably that class was not taught that thing while the others were) on the individual lists somehow but I don't know how to do this fairly with statistics and it could probably be done very easily with the eye so that's mostly a curiosity.

F) Graphs should be produced to show classes distributions when justifying curves or just going over tests. Of course the standard statistical info should be available somehow on those images (mean, median, standard deviation, whatever else)

Obviously none of this is really necessary. My main goal for building this would just be to learn how to plan it out. Like should each student have its own tab or own file and then there's a separate excel file that rips that info into periods and does the comparison tasks? Should it be one big file where excel is told which what to grab from where (if this can be done without constantly alerting formulas manually -- eg is excel smart enough to adjust formulas to match a growing dataset and if so if this requires that I format the data set a certain way to take advantage of that). If some of these ideas are really ambitious it would be nice to know as they could be left out, but I would really like to know how to automate some of the comparisons at least and produce data that is easy to use and trace back at least on a per test basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Airborne Viking posted:

People think you're a sorcerer if you're unafraid of macros.

Sheep-Goats posted:

:words:

I'd do it in Access. It's very similar to an assignment I had to do when learning Access. There are a poo poo-ton of free student database templates available if you don't want to build your own. Whatever you use, learning to create queries, macros and reports will be helpful.

I still map things out on paper at the start. Think about what calculations will give you the data you need and how to express them. What dialogue boxes/forms will you need to create? There are multiple ways to do things in Office products but some are less tedious than others and that matters when you're designing something.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 25, 2015

• Locked thread