Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Staticpulse
Nov 1, 2010

Herein I have explained the operation of the sun.
Mimiko
AP: 1
Condition: Winded

"Oh nonononono." What were her companions saying? Leaving now and missing the feast? Were they crazy? "These nice people decided to make us a fabulous dinner. It would be rude not to take them up on their gracious offer." Everyone else seemed to come around to the idea, except Plai.

"Plai, we're all really tired. Even the strongest of warriors need to eat and sleep. If we leave now, we're just going to pass out a few miles up the road." Mimiko tried to persuade the good doctor. "And, more importantly, they're making butternut roast squash, Plai. Butter. Nut. Roast. Squash. How can you pass that up!? If you don't like it, I'll... er, I mean, we could use any leftovers as, uh, rations. Yeah! Better than all that hardtack I had earlier today."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Juno's drone body makes a motion that probably resembles a head-shake. "Yeah, uh, I don't want to be moving at night while we're so close to the Tomb. That's when the drones start scavenging and uh... morning is safer!"

That seems to be that. Gyles is already rousing the elders and the kids to work.

_____

With little time to prepare and with little resources after the drought, the people of Amban make a great celebratory feast for your accomplishments. They set it out, a long array of foods and drink, over a long table where everyone gets an equal share. As they come together to eat, to talk about your battle with Glided Dove, as well as cheer each other for the loss of their family and friends, you realize that this feast means just as much to them as it does to you.

After the meal, everyone settles in and gets ready to sleep. Some stay up to make sure that the purifier is in full working condition before the Masters leave, while others work to clean up the mess at the table. Other people have plans...

So let's cut to morning.

_____

As dawn rises on Amban Village, the four Masters are greeted by Gyles and his grandson. Next to them is a bag of rations, leftovers from the night's feast.

"This is the best we can offer. I hope that you succeed in your next quest." Gyles nods, then looks around. "By the way, have you seen my granddaughter this morning?"

Hello, get ready for another Team Conflict, this time representing the journey to Mesa. I won't add any stupid gimmicks this time, but expect the journey to have at least one Trait they needs to be overcome with a Hit before you can win. Use this time to roll for Preparatory Actions.

Varakyn, what word do you receive from Tharsis as of late?

Jaleh, what does Joane leave to you to remember her by?

Plai, since your master has been occupied, you've been distracting yourself by plotting a route to Mesa city. What's the biggest obstacle in your path?

Mimiko, as you sleep, you receive fragments and flashes of a horrible scene; a great army bearing the flag of the Tharsian League being reduced to ashes in a single moment. In a dark future, the King of Mesa unleashes his terrible weapon on the world. What is the most distressing thing about this vision?

Mitama fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Feb 27, 2016

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Plai Soldur
Removing Winded as I figure this makes sense in fiction.

By far the most challenging thing about the Mesa City route is going to be the electro-ferro storms. It's a hazard of the highly iron-rich landscape, especially this time of year; as the wind whips the dust up, and it generates a static charge as it blows along the ground, which makes the dust into a sort of moving natural electromagnet. Lightning-like discharges, crazy magnetic phenomena, iron dust adhering with magnetic force all over equipment you would really rather it wasn't...

It's supposed to be a pretty impressive sight, but all things considered, it might be a sight best avoided.

With a little bit of luck, though, perhaps they can find a nice path through the winding canyons, and avoid the electro-ferro storms' full fury that one would suffer on an open plain.

That still requires finding a good path, of course, so Plai has her work cut out for her. And, through the night, she works by herself, far enough away she wouldn't hear any distractions. That would be distracting. By daybreak, though, she's sure she has a workable plan.

Rolled 5 on a preparatory action to Fortify by planning ahead. We gain +1D in each round until we lose or push.

ZeeToo fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 17, 2016

Staticpulse
Nov 1, 2010

Mimiko
Condition: None

Mimiko rubbed her eyes as she accepted the ration bag. Her sleep had been good, at least for a while; the dark and enclosed space under her bed provided her with a sense of comfort she had not had for a while. Even now, with the expansive sky above her, a sense of dread weighed on her. But perhaps it was not the sky she feared today, but the vision she had. A great destructive weapon, reducing the Tharsis League to naught but tatters. But it was not simply the League that was destroyed. Any and all who stood against the might of the King of Mesa was destroyed. Even, in the end, the King himself. The weapon stood above the now blackened land, a monument to the destructive ambition of a single man. And yet, there were none left that could appreciate its lesson.

Mimiko had written off the weapon the other day, thinking that it was not a huge problem. If her vision was correct, which they usually were, then... well, they were off to destroy the weapon anyway. No sense in worrying too much. "I don't like the open road much, but..." Mimiko's eyes drifted toward the ground. "I'll endure it for now. I've already finished some rituals that should help see us through safely."

The old man had mentioned something about his granddaughter. "Um... sorry. I haven't seen her this morning." Mimiko was a little worried that she had gone missing. Had she run off into the night? Did the soldiers return and kidnap her? Maybe she was worrying too much. "I'm sure she's fine..."

Doing my Preparation Roll using Rituals(Shinto) and framing it as 'Play the Long Game'. Result: 4. We get +1A in rounds 3 and 4.

Staticpulse fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 29, 2016

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Jaleh the Immortal, the Lioness who Roars Her Defiance

Jaleh gives an awkward cough, tries to avoid putting attention to the small metal charm around her wrist, and hopes nobody notices the blush.

"Your granddaughter is fine. I believe she is most likely still asleep. With the feast and all she probably had a very busy night. Other then that though! I've been going through some of the town records - you have some very old and interesting ones, did you know? - to see what sort of things we might encounter along the way. People get curious, make maps, write down what they see, that sort of thing. I think I have a good idea of what kind of things we could encounter."

I'll Scout Ahead! Scout (Record Keeping): 1d6 4 Scout one enemy roll of my choice at the start of round 1.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Varakyn Phokaina

Varakyn turns up with her armor shined and in perfect order, her cloak pinned up properly, ornaments and jewelry in order, her hair and makeup in the properly proscribed manner for a witch-knight of the Twice Broken Circle.

She nods to her fellow masters, and bows appropriately to the elder. "Thank you for your generosity. We will do what we can to deal with this King and return to you your missing."

Varakyn holds up a sheathe of telegraphs. "I reached out to some of my former comrades who will still speak with me, if not openly. Ten sols ago, the Anassa of Lotar stood before the Grand Ecclesia and called for a Crusade into the Verge. A mustering of every arm in the League, to conquer a realm in the name of the Astyanassa. It was a naked attempt to gain the title of Despot and she was assassinated by that afternoon, of course."

"But it spurred another two polities to put armies into the field, and six more are arming. Every city on the Eastern slopes will be in it before long. With the Conqueror dead, they smell blood. But if some tyrant - like this King of Mesa - can seize the Conqueror's legacy, we may well see that Crusade. Full scale war in the Verge, of a kind not seen in a thousand years."

She smiles. "The stakes are worthy of heroes now, I would say."

------

Along with her telegrams, Varakyn has prepared a map of the route to Mesa. She's marked out places they might face ambushes, and places where she'd send patrols and set up guard stations. It should help them avoid trouble and find supplies.

Rolled a 4 for my preparatory action, using Tactics, as Stock Up. We get +1 to be spent in any round before the rolls.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 28, 2016

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Everyone combines their maps and plans together into a decent consensus: a northeast-bound path across the maze-like canyons of Clarity Range to avoid Glided Dove's reprisal and duck underneath any possible electro-ferro storms. If they're lucky, they might even catch her chasing after them through the storm and put her at a disadvantage. With the reward on on your heads, she is willing to chase the four of you down pretty far.

After fond farewells and blessings of safe travels (perhaps even a kiss), the four of you take the northern road towards Clarity Range. It doesn't take long before the village of Amban disappears from your sight a few hills later.

Mesa awaits.

Team conflict again!

The opposition has an Advance and Defense score of 4, with two Traits:
• Electro-Ferro Storms (The Opposition cannot lose while this is active. Instead of losing, take a Hit. This trait can be removed.)
• Glided Dove's Advance Pursuit (The PCs take an extra Hit if they draw with the Opposition.)

Round 1 begins. Jaleh, let me know what roll you want to scout for.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Varakyn Phokaina

A day or so out from town, Varakyn is at the controls of their skimmer as the sky darkens ominously. Thoughts of taking shelter in the face of the coming storm are forgotten, though, when she turns to look behind. Three plumes of dust are converging on them. Dove's patrols have their trail.

"If we stop, they'll be on us in minutes! And if we wait for the storm, we'll be in no better position after." The witch knight pauses for a moment. "But there's a way we can gain ground, even lose them." She takes the controls and turns the skimmer towards the darkest part of the horizon. Into the storm.

Going with calculated risk to give us a +3A. If we remove the Electro-Ferro Storms we can move for a win.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Varakyn goes with a plan that the patrols don't expect, or at least don't believe that the Masters are crazy enough to pull off. Before the soldiers realize that they need to pick up the pace, Juno boosts up the grav-engines of the skyskiff as the Witch-Knight hurtles it towards the storm.

Hopefully the gamble pays off.

_____

Jaleh says that she wants to scout attack, so I rolled a 2 on that. That means you need to defend against 6A this round.

Mitama fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 4, 2016

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Plai Soldur

"Good plan, apart from the part where we're going into the storm," Plai shouts at Varakyn over the oncoming dust storm. "At least I brought maps; and talked them over with the locals to be sure I got the details. I think we can keep the worst of the dust off us if we skim the right rock formations."

Gratitude of the Common Folk to justify Total Defense. +3D, -1A. With my Fortify for +1D and (I'd suggest) Gorbash's floating +1 on D, that gives us a 5/6 chance on that side and 1/6 to tie, letting the other two focus on our A side.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Still running off the night before - and sore from their hesitation the DAY before - Jaleh is eager to test Varakyn's theories. With her understanding of mechanics, it's not hard for her to find the skimmer's reserve energy - and to utilize it.

"Varakyn - I will boost the skimmers power with it's reserves to help ensure our chances, but this will not last long, and if we mess up, it will go very poorly, very quickly. You had better be right."

LET'S GAMBLE! I will ALSO use Calculated Risk!

Staticpulse
Nov 1, 2010

Mimiko

"Going right through the storm...?" It wasn't Mimiko's preferred plan, but it might just be crazy enough to work. They could either outrun the competition, scare them off, or...

If she took them out right now, they wouldn't have to worry, would they? She wasn't close enough to the electric storm to harness the power of lightning, but all the dust the skiff and storm was whipping up was something she could influence.

"Spirits of air, I beseech thee!" Mimiko raised her gohei high above her head as she struggled to shout overt he din of the skiff. "Turn violent your gentle nature and direct them toward mine enemy!" At Mimiko's command, the dust and dirt that was being kicked up by the skiff began to intensify. The clouds of dust the skiff left in its wake was not only dense but vicious; the skiff was now creating a dust storm of its own as it raced through the canyon.

Using Spirit Channeling to conduct a Targeted Effort for +2A. Enemy takes a Hit on a Draw as well; might as well give them some pain on that outcome as well!

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

And the defense roll is... 10:54 PM <Krysmbot> Trix, 5 = 5: 9D!

I asked Z to roll the other bits, so you guys get
3A (Varakyn) -1A (Plai) + 3A (Varakyn) + 2A (Mimiko) + 1A (Stock Up) + 2A (roll) = 10A and
3D (Plai) + 1D (Plai) + 5D (roll) = 9D.

Call this a win. I assume the hit will be to remove the Electro-Ferro Storms. One more victory to go!

Jaleh and Juno superchange the skimmer, as Varakyn and Plai navigate it further off the beaten road and down to a narrow canyon flanked by several massive rock formations. Mimiko conjures the perfect escape vector, as her dust cloud runs straight through the pursuit force and leave them utterly blinded and confused. By the time they get their bearings back, it is far too late.

Their skimmer's engines and navigation devices soon fail from a sudden magnetic disturbance. The drivers and soldiers bail and head for cover, but there's no escaping an electro-ferro storm on foot. The massive storm soon catches up to them, turning Clarity Range into a caldruon of fire, dust, and death. Lightning from the malestrom and sheer magnetic forces tear the skimmers apart, while the soldiers meet as a similar fate as large chunks of metalltic dust beat on them repeatedly at hurricane-level speeds.

It's not a pretty sight at all.

The storm dies down a few days later. Your skimmer sticks closely to the canyons and avoids anything that might resemble any stray magnetic weirdness as much as possible. Once you feel it safe, you kick it to high gear back to the main route to Mesa.

You're sure that last encounter was just the prelude. As soon as Glided Dove finds the wreckage of her pursuit forces, she'll figure out that you're already past the storm. You have a head start on her, but since your end goal is the heart of Mesa, you're going to have to deal with her eventually.

Just a matter of whose terms.

_________

Second round, let's go.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Varakyn Phokaina

Varakyn surrenders the controls and clambers up onto the prow of the skimmer. She raises an ancient optik to her eye and scans the horizon, then looks up at the sky. "Dove won't give up easily. There are many courses open to her. Too many to prepare for all eventualities."

She turns back to her optik. "But whatever it is, I do not think it will be subtle."

Going with Observe: +1D +1A and scout one opposing roll next round.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Plai Soldur

"Now's the time to forge on ahead," Plai says with the group, again folding over her maps and consulting them again. They were getting messier after this much handling; they never wanted to fold back down the same way that they unfolded. "It's going to take some time for her to realize the last pursuit failed, so now we can steal a march by heading forward at top speed!" She hoped that was right.

Plai uses Small-Group Tactics unskilled for Reckless Effort. +3A and we take a hit.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

"Hmph - I feel now is the best time to attack her, but very well. We will outpace her! If our first gamble worked, this next one likewise cannot fail! On my command, we charge forward!"

Jaleh leads everyone in a risky charge, abandoning cover and safety, in quite the Calculated Risk!

Staticpulse
Nov 1, 2010

Mimiko

While the others prepared for the day's journey, Mimiko sat cross-legged and silent in the skimmer. In front of her, several cards were laid out in a circular fashion. "Let's see what the day has in store for us." Mimiko mused as she turned the cards over one by one. Her brow furrowed with each card flipped and her usual jovial smile faded somewhat.

"Misfortune befalls the unwary..." Mimiko quietly murmured as she observed the others. She could see what the cards were telling her; everyone was so eager to reach their destination they did not seem to be paying much attention to their surroundings. Especially Jaleh, who was very gung-ho today. Well, more so than usual. She packed up her cards and hopped to the back of the craft.

"If we are blazing forward to our destination, I will keep watch behind us." Mimiko informed the others. "It worked out pretty well last time."

Mimiko uses Fortune Telling to Block for +2D.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Enemy gets 4A (stat) + 5A (roll) = 9A and 4D (stat) + 4D (roll) = 8D.
You get 1A (Varakyn) + 3A (Plai) + 3A (Jaleh) + 6A (roll) = 13A and 1D (Varakyn) + 2D (Mimiko) + 3D (roll) = 6D.

It's a Push! Let's say you inflict a Strike, which should give you a favorable position even if you don't win the Conflict. But you also take two Hits.

It's a good idea to push on ahead. You can gain a massive lead over Dove and make it to Mesa before she does, which should give you a huge advantage in the long run. But it's been a brutal journey so far. Not so much for you, but for your stolen skyskiff.

Pushing it this much in such a short span of time has blown... something inside the grav-engine. Juno says that she can mitigate the damage, but she's a Watcher, not a mechanic. The skimmer's going to slow down hard, maybe even stop. You're only a day or so away from Mesa. You might be able to make it before Dove catches up with you, but with the engine failing, that's an uncertain bet.

What do you do?

_____

Third round! Mimiko's Long Game should be in effect, so you get +1A.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Varakyn Phokaina

Varakyn declares. She joins Juno at the engine console. "I'm going to remove the safety limiters. They're supposed to prevent further damage when the engine malfunctions. But if we can reach Mesa first, then it matters not we destroy the engine entirely."

She turns to look at the others over her shoulder. "The downside is that the engine will explode at some point. So we should be careful where we crash it." She pauses, then adds, "It's also definitely going to be a crash at the end. We'll need to jump clear when the time comes."

The witch-knight grins widely. "It will make for an impressive entrance!"

Using Programmer-Medium for a Calculated Risk.
Also, I'd like to scout the Advance roll the opposition's gonna make due to my Observe last round.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Plai Soldur

Plai, never one for mechanics or driving, is briefly at a loss. What can she even do to help? So far she's just here as a passenger.

But... wait. The medical nanomachines she's connected with are pervasive on this planet; all she should have to do is instruct them to break outside their usual routine and they might help hold the engine together. "I'm going to try to do something to keep the engine from blowing up!" Plai pauses, not sure what else to say to Varakyn about that. "It's hard to explain, but it probably won't make things worse, at least. Except maybe for me." That was probably not much a drawback to most of her companions.

Now, to draw the nanomachines to try this, and hopefully not to blow up her own body in doing so.

Rolling "Nanomachines?" to Take One for the Team. +3D, and Plai owes a personal concession.

quote:

18:42 ZeeToo Thinking it might be time to go "well, maybe medical nanobots can pitch in somehow here, too." and go "Take One For The Team". Not sure what I'd call the skill I'm unskilled-ing, though.
19:10 Trix nanomachines?
19:13 ZeeToo I might actually just call it that. =p
19:13 ZeeToo Unskilled roll in "Nanomachines?" where nanomachines do one stupid, never-replicated asspull.
19:14 Trix lol
19:14 Trix i'll buy it

Staticpulse
Nov 1, 2010

Mimiko

"W-well, sure, I guess-" Mimiko wasn't much for the dramatic entry option, but she supposed there was no point in arguing. With Dove on their tails, they had to get going by whatever means. "Just... tell us when to jump, I guess. I mean, I don't like being in the air or anything but if it is the only way..."

She didn't like Plai's ominous warning either. What was that about 'except maybe for me' part? "Don't hurt yourself, Plai." Mimiko pleaded with the doctor. "I guess you know what you're doing, being a doctor and all... but don't push yourself too much." Mimiko was still worried about her friend, but for now she had to concentrate on helping the group reach Mesa. She had initially thought about super-charging the engine with some help from the spirits but since Plai was already doing something with it that would be a little risky. Mimiko didn't want to accidentally hurt the good doctor. There was one other option, however...

"Varakyn! I'm going to direct the spirits to grant us a tailwind!" Mimiko shouted over the increasingly turbulent winds. "Drive as straight as you can! 'Cause otherwise we're going to plow into hurricane-force winds and... uh, yeah. That wouldn't be good." Even though it was a big risk, Mimiko was feeling good about their chances. Perhaps her rituals from days earlier were finally taking effect?

Mimiko uses Spirit Channeling again for a Calculated Risk (+3A, but take an extra hit on a Draw). This should bring us to +7A/+3D total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Jaleh reaches out and puts a hand on Plai's shoulder.

"My strength is yours, Plai - and it is sizable."

Her Ancille nanos key themselves to (at least momentarily) give Plai (limited) admin access, adding a fairly immense amount of additional power to whatever she's doing with the other nanomachines in the area!

As simple as it gets; Block for +2D. Likewise unskilled, something like Ancille Manipulation?

• Locked thread