Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

Ukita Hideie
Tairo
Daimyo of Bizen and Mimasaka

I am not surprised that Matsudaira Motoyasu has seen fit to slander me publicly once again, though I must admit I am somewhat surprised by the brazenness of his lies.

Let me be clear: I have no desire for war. If Matsudaira were to turn himself in or commits seppuku, there would be no reason for war between his heirs and the realm. He is the one who declared war upon myself and the Toyotomi Clan.

Most of what Matsudaira has said are blatant and obvious lies, and there is little need to address them. Naturally, he has not given any evidence of anything remotely treasonous on my part. My "grudge" is simply my unerring loyalty to the Toyotomi - a trait that Matsudaira no doubt finds inexplicable, given the repugnance he quite obviously feels for the idea of honour and loyalty.

The only place where Matsudaira comes close to something resembling the truth is when he mentions my intention to arrest him. It is true that I - along with Lords Uesugi, Mori, and Maeda - intended to arrest him in Osaka. But this course of action was only decided upon after Matsudaira proposed the tea ceremony. Why, you might ask? Because, as I have just shown, he was actively plotting civil war! How can Matsudaira accuse me of intending to start a civil war because I wished to arrest him for trying to start one?

To give any more credence to Matsudaira's nonsense would be an insult to the intelligence of my fellow daimyo, not to mention a waste of all of our time.

Lord Asano, I understand your concern. It is truly unforgivable that Matsudaira has chosen such a moment to rebel against his rightful lord, and demonstrates well the utter selfishness that consumes him. It will be difficult to defend Japan from both the Koreans and Ming on one hand and the traitor Matsudaira on the other. Why do you think I attempted to simply arrest the traitor rather than allow him to begin a civil war? The reality, though, is that Matsudaira and his ilk are just as great a threat as the foreigners - perhaps greater. It is of the utmost importance that Matsudaira is defeated as quickly as possible, so that we may once again be united in facing this foreign threat.

Naturally, those on the front lines of the invasion should focus on defending their lands. But the rest of us, especially those in the East, must focus on defeating Matsudaira's rebellion as quickly as possible. He has made clear, after all, that he intends to use the invasion to his advantage, so that he can stab us in the back while we defend the nation. To neglect Matsudaira's rebellion is to allow his usurpation to go unhindered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Phone posting, but I must say:

I have always ever sought to focus on erecting great works, but the perfidy of traitors has unfortunately forced me to take side.

Tokugawa, the traitorous, explain the letters you sent to East and West explicitly seeking support for your vile treasonous war. Your ambition is well known, and at last unmasked.

Myself and those who follow me shall never support such a man, and will resist to the end. To launch your war now, on the eve of the Korean invasion....one might even wonder if you were in collusion with the court of the Ming, to rule over a defeated, unified Japan as a vassal of the Emperor!

I call upon all the notables of the land to join me in a display of unity against the Ming, the Korean, and the Usurper, that we may dissuade all three and demonstrate that Japan is yet a land of courage and honor.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 28, 2015

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Tokugawa Ieyasu (徳川 家康)
Tairo
Daimyo of Izu, Sagami, Musashi, Kozuke, Shimosa, Kazusa, and Awa

sniper4625 posted:

Tokugawa, [...] explain the letters you sent to East and West explicitly seeking support for your vile treasonous war. Your ambition is well known, and at last unmasked.
When war seemed to be on the horizon, I prepared for war. Can you really blame me? The others made their intent clear -- they wished to go to war with me and destroy me. I had no desire to let myself be a sitting duck, and I took every measure I could to protect my domain.

But don't you remember what else I was doing at the same time? I pleaded for peace. I asked us all to put aside our differences so that we may work together. Ukita then made his demands, that I humble myself before him and apologize, and I did so.

So, tell me, what did I do wrong there? I prepared for war in case of war, and then I took the steps necessary to make sure that it wouldn't happen. The fact that these measures didn't work is, unfortunately, a result of Ukita's traitorous scheming.

Viscardus posted:

I am not surprised that [Tokugawa Ieyasu] has seen fit to slander me publicly once again, though I must admit I am somewhat surprised by the brazenness of his lies.

Let me be clear: I have no desire for war. If [Tokugawa] were to turn himself in or commits seppuku, there would be no reason for war between his heirs and the realm. He is the one who declared war upon myself and the Toyotomi Clan.

I see you are still sticking to your foolish, misguided convictions. If you had no desire for war, then why did you conspire to have me arrested? Did you seriously think you could arrest the most powerful lord in all of Japan without starting a war?

And furthermore, I should note that this is a war between you and me, not between me and the Toyotomi. Don't think this is bigger than it actually is.

Viscardus posted:

The only place where [Tokugawa] comes close to something resembling the truth is when he mentions my intention to arrest him. It is true that I - along with Lords Uesugi, Mori, and Maeda - intended to arrest him in Osaka. But this course of action was only decided upon after [Tokugawa] proposed the tea ceremony. Why, you might ask? Because, as I have just shown, he was actively plotting civil war! How can [Tokugawa] accuse me of intending to start a civil war because I wished to arrest him for trying to start one?

You have proven nothing, and admitted everything.

Yes, when it seemed likely that Civil War was about to erupt, I took steps to prepare for civil war. Yet at the same time, I took steps to prevent Civil War. I had every intention of working peacefully with Ukita and the others, and putting our differences aside so that war would not happen.

But then I learned that this whole time you were feigning peace, Ukita. You had no intention of ever truly working together of me again. You turned something that was supposed to bring us peace, into the very thing which has sparked this war.

All of this is on you, Ukita.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

Ukita Hideie
Tairo

I will not dignify your repeated lies with a full response. All I will say is that you are deluding yourself, Matsudaira, if you believe that you can simply declare war on another Tairo without rebelling against your lord at the same time. We are all subjects of Lord Hideyori and the Toyotomi Clan, and to declare war on a Toyotomi vassal is to declare war on Lord Hideyori himself. I am merely defending myself and my lord. If you truly do not wish for war, Matsudaira, then have your army stand down and come to Osaka by yourself. We can both put ourselves at the mercy of Lord Hideyori and the other three Tairo. I wonder with whom they would side.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Tokugawa Ieyasu (徳川 家康)
Tairo

The last time you had recommended that I go to Osaka by myself, you had a castle full of guards waiting to arrest me. I think that is all I need to say about your joke of an offer.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Ukita Hideie
Tairo

But Matsudaira, those guards serve Lord Hideyori and answer to Lord Maeda (and previously to his late father). If your quarrel is only with me, what fear need you have of them?

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Tokugawa Ieyasu (徳川 家康)
Tairo

The same Lord Maeda that was able to inherit in large part due to your meddling in Maeda clan politics? Let us not pretend that Osaka is a neutral location here. When we planned the tea ceremony, I originally suggested it be in Kyoto, but then you asked me to move it to Osaka precisely because you knew you could use the location to your advantage.

You pretend to be righteous and honest, but if you take one close look at your actions and words your attitude becomes a clear facade.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Ukita Hideie
Tairo

I proposed Osaka, Matsudaira, because that is where our lord resides, although I can see why you might forget that, given that you prefer to ignore his existence.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
So because war has broken out, next turn is going to be a bit different. It's only going to last 2 weeks, and I want players to tell me where you are at all times - are you at your capital? Your army? Kyoto? That sort of stuff. Give me a bit to get a proper map with army dispositions up, and I'll set the next turn due date then!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Mori Terumoto
Tairo
Lord of Chugoku

"I must end my silence now and relay the truth of what happened. Despite Lord Ukita's claims, he indeed set up an ambush with the intent to capture and execute Lord Tokugawa, claiming to do so in order to satisfy his long standing vendetta with Lord Tokugawa and asking my help with it even though I balked at the idea. While I have my differences with him, I cannot condone this sort of act, whose duplicity makes me wonder if perhaps I erred in concluding that the assassination attempt was a fake one, or perhaps a strange trick from Lord Ukita to make us turn against Tokugawa. That, his attempts to subvert public order to protect the disruptive religious cult of the Christians, his interference with the Maeda clan's inheritance and his willingness to undermine national safety in order to pursue his goals against his enemy make him a liability to our nation, and I shall join Lord Ieyasu Tokugawa in his defense against Ukita's cadre."

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
A public declaration:

All members of the Go-Bugyo are hereby ordered to mobilize their troops on behalf of Japan, and to refrain from taking any stand in this war of vendettas until the truth of the matter can be reached. We are servants of Japan, and must serve to it's defense. I call upon all other lords with no stake in this rivalry to join with us to defend ourselves from the dastardly Koreans, while we allow this melodrama to play it's course.

Ishida Mitsunari, Grand Administrator and Jibu-no-shō

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

His Imperial Highness Katahito

A Short Message for the Daimyo posted:

It has come to Our attention that war and dissension has come to the very heights of power and honor in these 40 countries of Japan. It grieves Us to hear that those who are meant to be working together are preparing to battle each other. With the foe of China and Korea already on the land of the Gods, defiling and despoiling whatever they get their hands on! We ask, for the sake of peace, and the defense of the realm, that grudges and faults may be forgotten on all sides, that all swords and spears may be directed to the enemy who truly deserve it - those attacking Our lands of Japan. May Kannon in her Infinite Compassion see fit to grace Us with peace!

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Mashita Nagamori
Bugyo
Lord of Yamatokoriyama

I pray in my heart of hearts that the Emperor's call is heeded, that Tokugawa's folly may be avoided.

Should my most fervent hopes fail, I can do nothing else but fight. To fight and die is to die well, to surrender and live is to live in shame for the rest of my life. Long live the Ieyasu! Long live the Emperor! Long live Japan!

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Tokugawa Ieyasu (徳川 家康)
Tairo

I had thought peace between us was impossible, but I had never considered this possibility. I am humbled that His Imperial Highness would weigh in on such a matter.

I've said it ten thousand times by now, and I shall say it again: I have absolutely no desire to start a disastrous civil war during a time of foreign invasion. Only when I felt that my hand was forced did I actually take any steps towards such a horrible thing. Until now, I had resigned myself towards the idea, but now the Emperor's words bring us a new hope.

What happens now does not rest merely on my or Ukita's shoulders, it falls upon us both. To stop the war now, and especially to put our grudges aside requires a great effort from both of us. Normally I do not believe we would be capable of it, but these are extraordinary times.

So, Lord Ukita Hideie, I ask of you: Are you willing to not only put aside, but forget entirely your grudges against me, for the sake of peace? Are you willing to not utter any more slanderous claims against me, in public and in private? Are you willing to consider me your equal, not just in rank, but in honor? Are you willing to stop your scheming and intrigue against me entirely? Are you willing to do these great things, because the Emperor Himself has asked you to do so, for the sake of the realm?

If you are, Lord Ukita, I am willing to do the same for you.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Uesugi Kagekatsu

Tairo
Daimyo of Aizu

I have raised 50,000 men, and am marching them to Kyushu, to be used to assist Lord Konishi and Lord Mori and prevent the Korean and Chinese invasion. I pledge that my forces will not attack anyone who does not first attack them, but if anyone seeks to attack us or dissuade us from our course, we will destroy them without mercy. The rights and wrongs of the quarrel between Lord Tokugawa and Lord Ukita don't matter at this time; not when the enemy is at our shore.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

:ducksiren: How about y'all get me your turns by Monday, January 4th, 11:59 PM PST! I was going to make a map, we'll see if I am able to! :ducksiren:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Sounds good.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Also, I should make sure it's clear - the thread is public communication. So if you want everyone in Japan to know what's going on with respect to Civil War, if it's happening or not, you should probably say something about it in the thread, and not just have it in your orders!

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Uesugi Kagekatsu

Tairo
Daimyo of Aizu

Let all of Japan know, after discussions with Lords Tokugawa and Ukita, all three of us are marching our forces to Kyushu to participate in the war against the invaders. Whatever differences we have between us and whatever quarrels, the safety of Japan matters more, and I urge other daimyo to join us, and bring their forces against the Chinese and Koreans who would invade our shores.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Tokugawa Ieyasu (徳川 家康)
Tairo

Yes, let me follow up and say that what Lord Uesugi says is indeed correct. The conflict between Ukita and myself will proceed no further.

The negotiations we had were, to say the very least, a little bit tense. It took a great amount of effort from both of us to reach this point, especially considering that actions and event up to this point had lead both of us to believe that there was no room for negotiation left at all. But these are extraordinary times: foreign invaders are trampling on our lands, and the Emperor himself has asked us to work together.

The terms of the agreement are thus:
  • My body-double, along with his retainers, shall be immediately released from custody and return to my service.
  • The siege of Fushimi Castle will end peacefully, with the mutual understanding that the Castle shall be administered and protected by the San Churo from this point forward.
  • Ukita, Tokugawa, and Uesugi forces, among others, shall march together towards Kyushu to fight the foreign invaders.

Now that the threat of Civil War seems to have disappeared, everyone should please focus all their efforts on national defense.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Mashita Nagamori
Bugyo
Lord of Yamatokoriyama

I must wholeheartedly endorse this return to peace among men who should be brothers, and the refocusing of the national spirit towards repelling the foreign invaders. Know that I shall do whatever I can to ensure the constant flow of men and information wherever they shall be needed most.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Ukita Hideie
Tairo

Indeed, Lords Uesugi and Tokugawa have related the truth; all of our armies will march together to meet the invasion forces, and we will present a united front against our enemies. Given the nature of the foreign threat and the words of the Emperor himself, I have decided that the safety of our homeland from foreign threat must be prioritized above all else. I thank Lord Uesugi in particular for his role in bringing about this truce; without him I do not know that it would have been possible.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

(So I assume this was abandoned?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Forgive me everyone, I got tapped to DM a game for folks IRL, and that's been taking up all my game-running energy. :negative:

• Locked thread