Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Typical Pubbie posted:

A significant portion of the base despises Trump. It's part of the reason why he polls so poorly against Bernie and Hillary.

A significant portion yes, but a significant portion also like him. Not enough to win him the general, perhaps (I'm not making predictions this far out, but I'm still dubious on his GE capability), but enough to see schisms in the GOP. Rush Limbaugh and right-wing talk radio are on-side with him and feeds into the bubble of right-wing politics.

To reiterate, I don't think this is the 'death' of the GOP but I feel it's a watershed moment for them as a vocal minority has grown in strength over the years. I'm currently reading Before the Storm (the Barry Goldwater campaign biography) and wonder if this reinvigoration of the base will be a turning point for the GOP's soul.

I suppose the thing is that people have tended to say "see the GOP will field a nutcase candidate and when they lose they'll realise the need to start heading back to the centre to capture more voters" and by and large the opposite has happened. McCain's never been a 'good' guy to me but during his 08 campaign he went from moderately goppy to swivel-eyed and his running mate was hardly the grounding he needed, and from there we went to Mittens J. Caffeinefree and his running mate of the Incredible Innumerate Man, and the base was frothing mad they had such an unelectable centrist, but said 'centrist' bought into poo poo like Benghazi and talking about 47% of Americans. This year it feels like the dark id of the GOP has spent too long underwater and wants to breathe freely.

I think Trump's rise is not the cause but is a symptom of a GOP unsure of what it stands for and looking for the strength of will to define itself for a new generation. Those who look to Trump want to make America, and the GOP, 'great' again. Those who turn to Cruz want to remember traditional values again. Those who turn to Carson have been in motorcycle accidents without helmets on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
It's not just insecurity of the GOP as this monolithic entity, it's competing factions. Working class republicans have been royally screwed over by both evangelicals and the business wing, who can both get what they want, while worker republicans are asked year after year to suck it up. Trump presents himself as a rich guy, but he never really acculturated to the elite society. That's why they see in him, he's a guy like them, he's tough acting, and he's also rich. You want a historical example, there's parallels to Julius Caesar - an authoritarian populist leader who rises to power against a backdrop of corrupt moneyed interests. Logically, they should be Sanders supporters, but they're not, and refuse to touch the democrats with a 10ft pole.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

David Brooks exploded today.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/19/o...collection&_r=0

He's looking back to Buckley kicking to nutters out, by the title reference. (Ha, loving knew it) It's too late though. It's going to be interesting to watch what happens when he realizes that. Bolding mine.

It's Time for a Republican Conspiracy posted:

Members of the Republican governing class are like cowering freshmen at halftime of a high school football game. Some are part of the Surrender Caucus, sitting sullenly on their stools resigned to the likelihood that their team is going to get crushed. Some are thinking of jumping ship to the Trump campaign with an alacrity that would make rats admire and applaud.

Rarely has a party so passively accepted its own self-destruction. Sure, Donald Trump and Ted Cruz are now riding high in some meaningless head-to-head polls against Hillary Clinton, but the odds are the nomination of either would lead to a party-decimating general election.

The Tea Party, Ted Cruz’s natural vehicle, has 17 percent popular support, according to Gallup. The idea that most women, independents or mainstream order-craving suburbanites would back a guy who declares his admiration for Vladimir Putin is a mirage. The idea that the G.O.P. can march into the 21st century intentionally alienating every person of color is borderline insane.

Worse is the prospect that one of them might somehow win. Very few presidents are so terrible that they genuinely endanger their own nation, but Trump and Cruz would go there and beyond. Trump is a solipsistic branding genius whose “policies” have no contact with Planet Earth and who would be incapable of organizing a coalition, domestic or foreign.

Cruz would be as universally off-putting as he has been in all his workplaces. He’s always been good at tearing things down but incompetent when it comes to putting things together.

So maybe it’s time for governing Republicans to actually do something. Yes, I’m talking to you state legislators, or local committeepersons, or members of Congress and all your networks of donors and supporters. If MoveOn can organize, if the Tea Party can organize, if Justin Bieber can build a gigantic social media movement, why are you incapable of any collective action at all?

What’s needed is a grass-roots movement that stands for governing conservatism, built both online and through rallies, and gets behind a single candidate sometime in mid- to late February. In politics, if A (Trump) and B (Cruz) savage each other then the benefits often go to Candidate C. But there has to be a C, not a C, D, E, F and G.

This new movement must come to grips with two realities. First, the electorate has changed. Less-educated voters are in the middle of a tidal wave of trauma. Labor force participation is dropping, wages are sliding, suicide rates are rising, heroin addiction is rising, faith in American institutions is dissolving.

Second, the Republican Party is not as antigovernment as its elites think it is. Its members no longer fit into the same old ideological categories. Trump grabbed his lead with an ideological grab bag of gestures, some of them quite on the left. He is more Huey Long than Calvin Coolidge.

Given the current strains on middle- and working-class families, many Republican voters want a government that will help the little guy; they just don’t want one that is incompetent, corrupt or infused with liberal social values.

In addition, younger voters and college-educated voters are more moderate than party leaders. According to one of the smartest conservative analysts, Henry Olsen, somewhere around 35 to 40 percent of the G.O.P. electorate is only “somewhat conservative.”

What’s needed is a coalition that combines Huey Long, Charles Colson and Theodore Roosevelt: working-class populism, religious compassion and institutional reform.

Years ago, reform conservatives were proposing a Sam’s Club Republicanism, which would actually provide concrete policy ideas to help the working class, like wage subsidies, a higher earned-Income tax credit, increased child tax credits, subsidies for people who wanted to move in search of work and exemption of the first $20,000 in earnings from the Medicaid payroll tax. This would be a conservatism that emphasized social mobility at the bottom, not cutting taxes at the top.

Maybe it’s time a center-right movement actually offered that agenda.

And maybe it’s time some Republicans took a stand on what is emerging as the central dispute of our time — not between left and right but between open and closed. As the political scientist Matthew MacWilliams has found, the key trait that identifies Trump followers is authoritarianism. His central image is a wall. With their emphasis on anger and shutting people out, Trump and Cruz are more like European conservatives than American ones.

Governing conservatism has to offer people a secure financial base and a steady hand up so they can welcome global capitalism with hope and a sense of opportunity. That’s the true American tradition, emphasizing future dynamism not tribal walls. There’s a silent majority of hopeful, practical, programmatic Republicans. You know who you are.

Please don’t go quietly and pathetically into the night.

There has been much bullshit flagging the "silent majority of hopeful, practical, programmatic Republicans" Brooks is referring too already. Nobody else thinks they exist anymore.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

BrandorKP posted:

He's looking back to Buckley kicking to nutters out, by the title reference. (Ha, loving knew it) It's too late though. It's going to be interesting to watch what happens when he realizes that. Bolding mine.

There has been much bullshit flagging the "silent majority of hopeful, practical, programmatic Republicans" Brooks is referring too already. Nobody else thinks they exist anymore.

"Sam's Club Republican" is a very specific branding line that Tim Pawlenty has attempted to wrap himself in for a decade and a half at this point. He also would appear to have some of the strongest ties to the financial and religious right of the party and a genuine social mobility/bootstraps/"If I can make it..." populist narrative. However, as has been his issue for those same 15 years, he does not have a single charismatic bone in his body.

With that said, he's in every possible sense the Anti-Trump and Brooks may well have chosen that slogan for a reason.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

BrandorKP posted:

quote:

Given the current strains on middle- and working-class families, many Republican voters want a government that will help the little guy; they just don’t want one that is incompetent, corrupt or infused with liberal social values.

"Republican voters want a government that will help people! Just not one that will help blacks or gays."

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Gonna look over at Kansas and Tennessee to see how much Republicans want to actually help the little white guy. They don't, regardless of color unless that "little guy" is specifically them as an individual.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Is there anyone in this thread who thinks the republicans will actually die and not do what the major parties have done every twenty or so years and just carve off a part of the democrats during a realignment?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

BrandorKP posted:

they exist sorta. alot of my extened family, including my dad a moderate republicans. most of them are socialy left leaning to an extent and mixed on finacial stuff.
either way, most of them dont like trump because they think he and the tea party are nuts, but they all run small business so they are to busy to pay attention or care.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

BrandorKP posted:

The Meltdown Continues:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/26/opinion/stay-sane-america-please.html

quote:

In January of 2017 someone will stand at the U.S. Capitol and deliver an Inaugural Address. This is roughly the place where Abraham Lincoln, Franklin Roosevelt, Dwight Eisenhower and Ronald Reagan once stood. I am going to spend every single day between now and then believing that neither Donald Trump nor Ted Cruz nor Bernie Sanders will be standing on that podium. One of them could win the election, take the oath, give the speech and be riding down Pennsylvania Avenue. I will still refuse to believe it.

Yes, I know what the polling evidence is telling us about Trump, Sanders and Cruz, but there are good reasons to cling to my disbelief.

First, these primary campaigns will not be settled in February. They won’t be settled in March or April. Sometimes a candidate can sweep Iowa and New Hampshire and cruise to the nomination. But that candidate has to be broadly acceptable to all parts of the party. Trump, Cruz and Sanders are not.

As Jay Cost writes in The Weekly Standard, “This could mean a lengthy nomination battle that stretches all the way to the California primary in June.”

On the Republican side the early primaries and caucuses allocate delegates proportionally. Only 16.2 percent of the delegates over all come from winner-take-all states. That means the delegate-getting war will be a slog.

The first day when any candidate could rack up a big winner-take-all delegate harvest is March 15, an eternity from now. More than half the delegates will be allocated after that date.

Second, Cruz and Trump will go after each other with increasing ferocity over the next many weeks or months. There is a decent chance, given their personalities, that they will make each other maximally unattractive and go down in each other’s death embrace.

Third, the Trump and Sanders turnout problems are real. Trump is doing very well among people who haven’t voted in the past four elections. It’s possible he has energized them so much they will actually caucus and vote, but you wouldn’t want to bet your gold-plated faucets on it. People who don’t vote generally don’t vote.

Sanders is drawing support from nonvoters, too. As Nate Cohn wrote in The Upshot on Monday, Sanders is up in some polls over all, but he trails big time among people in Iowa who caucused in 2008 and among those who are definitely registered to vote.

It’s quite possible that the big story post-Iowa will be how badly these two underperformed.

Fourth, establishment Republicans who are softening on Trump because they think he is more electable than Cruz are smoking something. According to a Pew Research survey, a majority of Americans think Trump would make a poor or terrible president.

Chuck Todd ran through Trump’s favorable-unfavorable ratings on “Meet the Press” on Sunday: Among independents, Trump is negative 26 points; among women, negative 36; among suburban voters, negative 24. Is the Republican Party really going to nominate one of the most loathed men in American public life?

Fifth, America has never elected a candidate maximally extreme from the political center, the way Sanders and Cruz are. According to the FiveThirtyEight website, Cruz has the most conservative voting record in the entire Congress. That takes some doing.

Sixth, sooner or later the candidates from the governing wing of their parties will get their acts together. Marco Rubio has had a bad month, darkening his tone and trying to sound like a cut-rate version of Trump and Cruz.

Before too long Rubio will realize his first task is to rally the voters who detest or fear those men. That means running as an optimistic American nationalist with specific proposals to reform Washington and lift the working class.
Continue reading the main story

Every weekday, get thought-provoking commentary from Op-Ed columnists, The Times editorial board and contributing writers from around the world.

If he can rally mainstream Republicans he’ll be at least tied with Trump and Cruz in the polls. Then he can counter their American decline narrative, with one of his own: This country is failing because it got too narcissistic, became too much like a reality TV show. Americans lost the ability to work constructively to get things done.

Finally, eventually the electorate is going to realize that in an age of dysfunctional government, effective leadership capacity is the threshold issue. That means being able to listen to others, surround yourself with people smarter than you, gather a governing majority and above all have an actual implementation strategy. Not Trump, Cruz or Sanders has any remote chance of turning his ideas, such as they are, into actual laws.

In every recent presidential election American voters have selected the candidate with the most secure pair of hands. They’ve elected the person who would be a stable presence and companion for the next four years. I believe they’re going to do that again. And if they’re not, please allow me a few more months of denial.

:qq: :qq: :qq: :qq: :qq:

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

HootTheOwl posted:

Is there anyone in this thread who thinks the republicans will actually die and not do what the major parties have done every twenty or so years and just carve off a part of the democrats during a realignment?

the GOP probably won't die but movement conservatism will and it will be entertaining to watch the party try to put together a nationally competitive coalition without it

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

quote:

And if they’re not, please allow me a few more months of denial.

:laffo:

Oh my god its hilarious how these Serious People refuse to engage with reality.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
It's because the Serious People aren't living paycheck to paycheck. They're so detached from the modern reality of the American working class, that they can't see why anyone would ever support sanders or trump, both of which are promising to help workers (but are appealing to very different philosophies). Those candidates are 'out-there' not because they don't represent the American political spectrum, but because they're not acceptable options for them.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Paul Ryan issues the most self-delusional call for sanity in the GOP

quote:

Today, Paul Ryan gave a fascinating speech at Heritage Action, a tea party-allied organization that has fashioned itself as the guardian of conservative purity. The speech called for unity. “To quote William Wallace in Braveheart,” he said, “we have to unite the clans.”

But his speech was actually a repudiation of everything the tea party has done. Not only that, Ryan also took shots at the congressional Republican leadership, and even the current GOP presidential candidates. He didn’t call anyone out by name, but if you understand what’s happening now and the conflict that has roiled the Republican Party for the last seven years, the critique was hard to miss.

Not surprisingly, for much of the speech he blamed conservatives’ own sins on progressives, Democrats, and Barack Obama. That has become a familiar refrain — It’s their fault that we’ve become such monsters! — but when you say that, you’re still acknowledging that the sins exist. Let’s start here:

quote:

“My theory of the case is this: We win when we have an ideas contest. We lose when we have a personality contest. We can’t fall into the progressives’ trap of acting like angry reactionaries. The Left would love nothing more than for a fragmented conservative movement to stand in a circular firing squad, so the progressives can win by default.

“This president is struggling to remain relevant in an election year when he’s not on the ballot. He is going to do all he can to elect another progressive by distracting the American people. So he’s going to try to get us talking about guns or some other hot-button issue and not about his failures on ISIS or the economy or national security. He’s going to try to knock us off our game. We have to understand his distractions for what they are. Otherwise, we’re going to have a distraction this week, next week, and the week after that. And that’s going to be the Obama playbook all year long.”

Yes, the party of Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush, of Donald Trump and Ted Cruz, cares not for “personality.” And look, nobody “trapped” Republicans into “acting like angry reactionaries.” They did that all on their own. But it’s interesting that Ryan cites guns as a distracting hot-button issue that is important only because Barack Obama is forcing conservatives to talk about it against their will. Last time I checked, lots of Republicans thought the gun issue is absolutely vital to maintaining liberty. The same is true of any other hot-button issue you could name, whether it’s abortion or same-sex marriage or something else: the issue might or might not be advantageous to Democrats, but it’s also very important to at least a significant chunk of the Republican electorate. It’s hard to tell where Ryan draws the line between real issues and distractions, but every time you define an issue as the latter, you’re telling some major Republican constituency to shut its mouth.

That's right, it's those wily-rear end Democrats who tricked the GOP into blocking legislation at every turn in order to repeal Obamacare like 100 times. But at least he recognizes that the obstructionism and lack of actual ideas has fractured the party and led to the current situation where Republicans are becoming less and less electable in Presidential Election years.

And this man is absolutely right that the GOP has turned into a clownshow of personality over substance:

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
Honest question here: What is the point of discussing the Republican Party in a forum where any hint of sympathy for or affiliation with the party would lead to extreme ostracism? Like it or not, the GOP is one of two mainstream parties in the most relevant country in the world today; whereas consensus opinion on D&D, where posters advocate "full communism" without irony, is far, far outside what passes for mainstream in that system.

Seeing D&D posters discuss the GOP reminds me of a conversation about kinky sex among a group of 50-something committed virgins. The GOP will not die any time soon. Like the Democrats, it will stick with the current formula until delivered an electoral defeat resounding enough to give momentum to a purge, at which point it will reformulate its approach and roll with that.

TheImmigrant fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 4, 2016

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

ShadowCatboy posted:

Paul Ryan issues the most self-delusional call for sanity in the GOP

That's right, it's those wily-rear end Democrats who tricked the GOP into blocking legislation at every turn in order to repeal Obamacare like 100 times. But at least he recognizes that the obstructionism and lack of actual ideas has fractured the party and led to the current situation where Republicans are becoming less and less electable in Presidential Election years.

And this man is absolutely right that the GOP has turned into a clownshow of personality over substance:

It's not self-delusional; he obviously knows better than that. The problem is that it is not easy for a politician to tell his voters and his rivals how they should act! In order to make his call more effective and preemptively deflect any backlash, he projected it onto the only enemy that the entire Republican base can agree on: the left.

It's kind of laughable for someone from the party of Obama, Warren, and Sanders to criticize other parties for valuing personality and showmanship over substance. Face it - personality, appearance, and acting abilities have been the main deciders of American politics since TV became widely available.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

Face it - personality, appearance, and acting abilities have been the main deciders of American politics since TV became widely available.

Nixon (after his questionable defeat by Kennedy in 1960) is a rebuttal to this theory.

And it would be remarkably parochial to think that this tendency is unique to US politics.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

If you're going to criticize Sanders for lack of substance, what on earth even counts as substantive?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I realize with Trump it's all talk and a good portion of his support is because racists love his ideas in regards to immigration.

That being said, there's at least a nestle of truth in the fact that at least he seems to be talking about improving the lives of men and women within the US in some respect. The idiot isn't at least rambling on about how he wants to take away people's healthcare or trying to gently caress us over by signing laws that pretty much ship our job's overseas. (We can discuss him being a hypocrite in regards to the latter, sure.)

The thing I've noticed from a good portion of people during this election cycle have been:

-People pissed that "Citizens United" is a thing
-People pissed at Big Banks
-People pissed at how hosed up their healthcare is.
-People pissed that companies get to get out of paying taxes and then ship job overseas.

But the thing is, save for Trump? None of their candidates are discussing this. They're all on the sides of those people I just mentioned. The middle class is beyond angry and is searching for some voice to kind of echo their sentiment.

I'm wouldn't be against listening to conservative/republican/free market solutions to the problems I just mentioned. The problem is? I've never heard any even TALK about the fact that there is a problem, let alone have any sort of action to take care of it.

Honestly...if Trump were smart? After the nomination would be secured he'd try to out-liberal sanders/clinton in the same vain that Richard Nixon did back in the day.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

FuzzySkinner posted:

I realize with Trump it's all talk and a good portion of his support is because racists love his ideas in regards to immigration.

That being said, there's at least a nestle of truth in the fact that at least he seems to be talking about improving the lives of men and women within the US in some respect. The idiot isn't at least rambling on about how he wants to take away people's healthcare or trying to gently caress us over by signing laws that pretty much ship our job's overseas. (We can discuss him being a hypocrite in regards to the latter, sure.)

The thing I've noticed from a good portion of people during this election cycle have been:

-People pissed that companies get to get out of paying taxes and then ship job overseas.

But the thing is, save for Trump? None of their candidates are discussing this. They're all on the sides of those people I just mentioned. The middle class is beyond angry and is searching for some voice to kind of echo their sentiment.

I'm wouldn't be against listening to conservative/republican/free market solutions to the problems I just mentioned. The problem is? I've never heard any even TALK about the fact that there is a problem, let alone have any sort of action to take care of it.

Honestly...if Trump were smart? After the nomination would be secured he'd try to out-liberal sanders/clinton in the same vain that Richard Nixon did back in the day.

Trump is very smart. He is also a creature of the media, one who is extremely adept at manipulating it to his own advantage. They have a symbiotic relationship. He is also the most moderate of all Republican contenders, notwithstanding his pandering on immigration and the border. (Neither is practical or legally realistic.) In the past, he has favored universal health insurance. He is hands-off on social issues, and not an economic extremist either. The choice between Cruz and Trump might be best likened to the choice between herpes and ebola: an undesirable choice, but a clear choice.

A lot of his supporters are low-information types who are typically apolitical, and not involved in politics. So long as Trump stays in the spotlight he'll have a hard time losing their favor, since they tend to see any kind of notoriety, no matter how obnoxious, as a good thing.

TheImmigrant fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 4, 2016

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TheImmigrant posted:

Honest question here: What is the point of discussing the Republican Party in a forum where any hint of sympathy for or affiliation with the party would lead to extreme ostracism?

Let me answer your stupid question with an equally stupid question: why do you post on this forum if you think it's such an anti-GOP echo chamber?

The more sensible response of course is that one does not need to BE a Republican to discuss the Republican Party. Why? Because it's actually somewhat important because, as you note, they are one of the two mainstream parties. When one of the mainstream parties is undergoing a crisis of identity it is perfectly valid for people to observe things and comment on them, regardless of political affiliation.

TheImmigrant posted:

Seeing D&D posters discuss the GOP reminds me of a conversation about kinky sex among a group of 50-something committed virgins. The GOP will not die any time soon. Like the Democrats, it will stick with the current formula until delivered an electoral defeat resounding enough to give momentum to a purge, at which point it will reformulate its approach and roll with that.

We didn't need to know about your kinky sex talk hobby, and everyone in the thread has already said that we expect the GOP to survive, as you'd know if you hadn't just waltzed in without reading anything but the thread title which has routinely been criticised. I'm pretty sure I did it this page.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

Talking to upper class DNC type voters you can tell they just don't "get" this. Like voting against Republicans and slowly moving left on social issues should be enough for middle America and any sort of idea on economic leftism is crazy and dangerous. I really feel we are easily one more recession away from Republicans getting back into the White House since while they may not have any answers they are great at pointing fingers and riding on populist anger.

That's of course totally anecdotal.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Feb 5, 2016

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
It's exactly the same reason the DNC is trying to cut Sanders out as much as possible, anything but the status quo economically is bad.

So I guess the real revelation is that the GOP might die, but so will the DNC, because both establishments are so loving out of touch with ordinary people.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Feb 5, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

rudatron posted:

both establishments are so loving out of touch with ordinary people.

:agreed:, and that has likely contributed to the rise of protest parties in many countries. UKIP (UK), AfD (Germany), FN (France) are to their respective mainstream what the Tea Party is to Republicans.

They're largely clowns with very few and/or terrible ideas, but they're the first and sometimes only people to take the fears of the uninformed electorate seriously.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

Let me answer your stupid question with an equally stupid question: why do you post on this forum if you think it's such an anti-GOP echo chamber?

The more sensible response of course is that one does not need to BE a Republican to discuss the Republican Party. Why? Because it's actually somewhat important because, as you note, they are one of the two mainstream parties. When one of the mainstream parties is undergoing a crisis of identity it is perfectly valid for people to observe things and comment on them, regardless of political affiliation.

Of course. I mostly lurk here, occasionally posting, because it's a window into a microcosm I don't deal with very often. It's interesting to see far-leftists, overwhelmingly from and the beneficiaries of Western liberal democracies, in their element, without the distraction of ideological diversity. And of course you are entitled to discuss the GOP. My comment reflected the reality that your discussion of the GOP makes as much real-life difference as my discussion of the cheesemaking techniques of Bedouin herders.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TheImmigrant posted:

My comment reflected the reality that your discussion of the GOP makes as much real-life difference as my discussion of the cheesemaking techniques of Bedouin herders.

Oh, word? I thought I was on the GOP's official forums talking to Reince Priebus directly. Thank gently caress we have your genius to help us realise this is the Debate and Discussion subforum on Something Awful.

Hey, did you know that when you play Dark Souls you don't actually turn into a semi-zombie in real life? loving strange.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

:rolleyes:

Beyond it being the point of the forum and trying to understand things generally being regarded as good, it's been common since the Bush administration for people here to have money riding on their understanding of what's going to happen on both sides of American politics. That real-life enough for you?

If you can get over the persecution complex long enough to offer an inside perspective, people will read it.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

eviltastic posted:

If you can get over the persecution complex long enough to offer an inside perspective, people will read it.

Pol Pot, I am not a Republican, and this place is for my amusement. You people so far out of touch with the mainstream that anyone to the right of Mao is a Republican/Nazi/fascist in your eyes. It's hilarious, and keeps me reading.

Now wipe the spittle from your monitor.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

TheImmigrant posted:

Pol Pot, I am not a Republican, and this place is for my amusement. You people so far out of touch with the mainstream that anyone to the right of Mao is a Republican/Nazi/fascist in your eyes. It's hilarious, and keeps me reading.

Now wipe the spittle from your monitor.

im gay

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
...aaaand there we have it. Who could have possibly seen this coming?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
Why do people say the Republicans are dying when they are winning everything except maybe the presidency?

Republican control over congress means that the moment a GOP president gets elected ACA gets repelled, even if we have straight up dem presidents for another 12 years nothing gets passed. At the same time the deadlock at the national level is bypassed by Republicans passing w/e they want at the state level.

If anything the democrats are in trouble even though demography is on their side, the democratic party is really terrible at politics.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Yeah that's been discussed at length in this thread.

Don't be TheImmigrant and spew low effort troll idiocy without reading, it's pointless. The title of this thread is objectively dumb, the individual posters inside are not.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

More Krugman:

Bolding mine

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/08/opinion/the-time-loop-party.html?_r=0

The Time Loop Pary posted:

By now everyone who follows politics knows about Marco Rubio’s software-glitch performance in Saturday’s Republican debate. (I’d say broken-record performance, but that would be showing my age.) Not only did he respond to a challenge from Chris Christie about his lack of achievements by repeating, verbatim, the same line from his stump speech he had used a moment earlier; when Mr. Christie mocked his canned delivery, he repeated the same line yet again.

In other news, last week — on Groundhog Day, to be precise — Republicans in the House of Representatives cast what everyone knew was a purely symbolic, substance-free vote to repeal Obamacare. It was the 63rd time they’ve done so.

Mr. Rubio’s inability to do anything besides repeat canned talking points was startling. Worse, it was funny, which means that it has gone viral. And it reinforced the narrative that he is nothing but an empty suit. But really, isn’t everyone in his party doing pretty much the same thing, if not so conspicuously?

The truth is that the whole G.O.P. seems stuck in a time loop, saying and doing the same things over and over. And unlike Bill Murray’s character in the movie “Groundhog Day,” Republicans show no sign of learning anything from experience.

Think about the doctrines every Republican politician now needs to endorse, on pain of excommunication.

First, there’s the ritual denunciation of Obamacare as a terrible, very bad, no good, job-killing law. Did I mention that it kills jobs? Strange to say, this line hasn’t changed at all despite the fact that we’ve gained 5.7 million private-sector jobs since January 2014, which is when the Affordable Care Act went into full effect.

Then there’s the assertion that taxing the rich has terrible effects on economic growth, and conversely that tax cuts at the top can be counted on to produce an economic miracle.

This doctrine was tested more than two decades ago, when Bill Clinton raised tax rates on high incomes; Republicans predicted disaster, but what we got was the economy’s best run since the 1960s. It was tested again when George W. Bush cut taxes on the wealthy; Republicans predicted a “Bush boom,” but actually got a lackluster expansion followed by the worst slump since the Great Depression. And it got tested a third time after President Obama won re-election, and tax rates at the top went up substantially; since then we’ve gained eight million private-sector jobs.

Oh, and there’s also the spectacular failure of the Kansas experiment, where huge tax cuts have created a budget crisis without delivering any hint of the promised economic miracle.

But Republican faith in tax cuts as a universal economic elixir has, if anything, grown stronger, with Mr. Rubio, in particular, going even further than the other candidates by promising to eliminate all taxes on capital gains.

Meanwhile, on foreign policy the required G.O.P. position has become one of utter confidence in the effectiveness of military force. How did that work in Iraq? Never mind: The only reason anybody in the world fails to do exactly what America wants must be because our leadership is lily-livered if not treasonous. And diplomacy, no matter how successful, is denounced as appeasement.

Not incidentally, the shared Republican stance on foreign policy is basically the same view Richard Hofstadter famously described in his essay “The Paranoid Style in American Politics”: Whenever America fails to impose its will on the rest of the world, it must be because it has been betrayed. The John Birch Society has won the war for the party’s soul.

Like her or not, Hillary Clinton is a genuine policy wonk, who can think on her feet and clearly knows what she is talking about on many issues. Bernie Sanders is much more of a one-note candidate, but at least his signature issue — rising inequality and the effects of money on politics — reflects real concerns. When you revisit Democratic debates after what went down Saturday, it doesn’t feel as if you’re watching a different party, it feels as if you’ve entered a different intellectual and moral universe.

So how did this happen to the G.O.P.? In a direct sense, I suspect that it has a lot to do with Foxification, the way Republican primary voters live in a media bubble into which awkward facts can’t penetrate. But there must be deeper causes behind the creation of that bubble.

Whatever the ultimate reason, however, the point is that while Mr. Rubio did indeed make a fool of himself on Saturday, he wasn’t the only person on that stage spouting canned talking points that are divorced from reality. They all were, even if the other candidates managed to avoid repeating themselves word for word.

It's too late. The chances they had to avert the distortions that have taken over the party, they missed.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

quote:

Not incidentally, the shared Republican stance on foreign policy is basically the same view Richard Hofstadter famously described in his essay “The Paranoid Style in American Politics”: Whenever America fails to impose its will on the rest of the world, it must be because it has been betrayed. The John Birch Society has won the war for the party’s soul.

America cannot fail, it can only be failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

BrandorKP posted:

More Krugman:

Bolding mine

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/08/opinion/the-time-loop-party.html?_r=0

It's too late. The chances they had to avert the distortions that have taken over the party, they missed.

They won 40 loving years ago. Congrats on figuring it out Krugman

• Locked thread