Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Well the plan was for Calli to take the lead in the temple, but since Ms. Happiness hasn't posted at all in the last few days I'll do stuff if they don't show up before uhh, let's say 6pm pacific tommorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Sorry I was out of town for a while. Will post today. I was kinda thinking to discuss stuff with people at the temple in terms of finding out about the cult mentioned, them maybe try and contact my Patron to get more information.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

What would the average person in the city know about the various religions that Anne mentioned?

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Ms. Happiness posted:

What would the average person in the city know about the various religions that Anne mentioned?

Anything in particular you want to know?

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

I guess more of like...what are the basic tenets of each religion. Are they looked favorably on the city. What influence to they have in the city? I guess it's more of...what would my character know and feel about the religious groups.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Just wanna say I'll make both my play post and equipment update later today. Got sidetracked with irl stuff lately!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Sorry this took so long. Computer spontaneously restarted and ate this post a couple times, then I got petulant and didn't bother for a while after.

RELIGIONS IN OSTEBRAS

Karolian - Before the first Rosevech monarch took the throne 60 years ago, Ostebras' rulers had been Karolian for hundreds of years. Still the most common religion in and around Ostebras, Karolians believe in a large pantheon of gods, and the values any given Karolian holds can vary based on which god their church favours. Lately, the pacifist goddess of medicine Gridis has been holding a lot of sway, leading to increased criticism of the Empire's expansionism from among the ranks of the faithful.

Henegite - While Henegites technically believe in the same pantheon as Karolians, Henegites don't see the gods as actual beings with the power to affect their lives. Instead, they see them more as ideals to live up to, and Karolian mythological text as a collection of parables. Since the Henegite Uprising slightly more than 200 years ago, the group has gone from being a persecuted minority to one of Ostebras' two major religions. Henegites find their numbers largely among the working class, and are particularly known for their emphasis on charity and community service.

Sadik - The majority religion in the nation of Kabila, the presence of Sadik in Ostebras has grown as close trade relations have brought more and more Kabilan immigrants over the years. Despite some initial tensions with Karolian and Henegite factions, Sadik adherents have had a relatively easy time integrating in Ostebras, due in part to the inward-looking, meditative nature of their faith.

Chornan - Never particularly popular but widespread across the entire continent of Vernat, the Chornan faith revolves around the worship of nature spirits. Chornans predictably tend rural, so there aren't many of them in the city of Ostebras itself, but the Naturalists' and Geomancers' Guilds include a few among their members. One of the few things most people know about Chornans is that they practice ritual sacrifice, a fact that occasionally gives rise to rumours of human sacrifice. As far as you're aware, though, there are no examples of such rumours being substantiated.

Kansite - A term used to refer to adherents of the folk religions of Kansiland, a tributary state to Ostebras. Kansites are the subject of wide derision among Ostebras' elite, their animist beliefs viewed as outmoded and quaint. For their part, they tend to keep to themselves. If one knows what to look for, though, one will probably see a Kansite offering left somewhere or another on any given day in the city.

Arkonan - 30 years ago, when Ostebras was at war with the north-eastern nation of Zern, followers of Arkonism - Zern's state religion - were seen as enemies in Ostebras and widely persecuted. Tensions remain high, especially between Henegites and Arkonans. Those with negative opinions of Arkonans often see them as militaristic and harsh, and suppose that they must be plotting to take Ostebras over. The Arkonan religion is indeed a harsh one, emphasizing discipline and strength above all other virtues. Its followers, however, run the gamut from liberal to orthodox just as any other religion, and no proof exists as to any widespread Arkonan plot.

Zurian - If the average citizen of Ostebras has heard of Zurianism, it's because they heard of - or watched - a Baretuan ambassador publicly duel a Master Architect over an insult to the ambassador's (Zurian) religion. The actual tenets of Zurianism are not well known in Ostebras, though those who regularly interact with foreign sailors and merchants might have spent enough time around Baretuans to have picked up a few things. The Zurian religion follows the teachings of Araba Zur, a prophet who lived five hundred years ago and became the first Baretuan king. Zurians believe neither in gods nor an afterlife, but do believe in reincarnation. The Zurian religion is definitely not ascetic, and in fact seems to promote the idea that wisdom comes from having many different experiences in life.

• Locked thread