Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-ahYueXurY

-----

”Examine Data Link.”

"Main trans engine: Number 1, 2 on. Number 3, 4 Off. Number 5, 6, 7, 8 On."

”Confirmed, Round Vernian.”

"Hello! I am Vifam!"

”O.K. Vifam, your number is 7. Instrument recorder on.”

"Permission to sortie?"

”Permission granted. Good luck, Vifam 7.”

-----

-----

YOU SHOULD WATCH VIFAM!!

For years I knew about Vifam just as the show with the cool opening that sounded a bit like an ELO song, but I wish I had started it sooner because what I'm finding out is that it's really really really good. Originally airing 1983-84 and directed by Takeyuki Kanda (Fang of the Sun Dougram, Dragonar, First half of Gundam 08th MS Team), Vifam tells the story of 15 people who through a series of unfortunate events find themselves stranded in the wake of a mysterious alien invasion, separated from their families and left in control of a spaceship none of them are trained to operate. 13 of them are children.

It's a show with a lot of heart. Even though it has a large central cast it is mostly devoted to exploring them and their triumphs and troubles as they journey to reunite with their loved ones. The pacing is pretty great too, action is frequent but isn't overbearing, the series is content to leave episodes that solely involve the cast interacting in their downtime. The action itself can be very intense though, and a lot of dramatic tension is drawn from the necessity of the wanderers to stay hidden from their pursuers, simply because they don't have the skill or manpower to defeat them. Characters are all given their time in the spotlight, and by the end of most episodes you understand what everybody has been up to in the day's events. It's a show that pulls from a lot of different emotions. On the surface it's pretty lighthearted, but a lot of work is done to imbue the viewer with the feelings of longing, desperation, and camaraderie the cast share together. I've teared up a few times, so it can hit hard when it needs to. It's an exciting adventure that also feels like one entire adventure, the progression the ship makes over the series is well charted by the characters themselves. The conflicts and arbitrations that drive their decisions are omnipresent but feel natural, necessary discussions born from a need for consensus when planning a course.

I love VIfam a lot of a lot and I'm not really sure why entirely. It's full of robots and action and adventure and heart. It seems like its another old anime that's been lost a bit to time, but I hope with this thread I can convince some new people to give it a chance and see what's good about it.

Let's Love Vifam.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Nov 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

That song is like, way way better than I was expecting. That's the OP??? I thought I was listening to a Bowie track for a second. Maybe I should put it on my PTW list.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

That's the OP.

The soundtrack itself is pretty small but used pretty well I find, there's a few variations and a couple of themes for each specific mood, including a really good use of Holst's Mars as a track signifying a rising tension or oncoming danger.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

As a huge ELO fan the OP is fantastic

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I've been watching Vifam because of Sharkey's posts about it and let me tell you all: It's a good show.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If anyone is being lame and thinks that while it has a cool OP it's gonna suck because the majority of the cast are children, well, you're wrong!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I have the series but I've never sat down and watched it. I should change that.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Never give up

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
I watched the first three episodes of this and it's hella good.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
This opening is now stuck in my head, I love you Sharkopath.

Get this opening out of my head now Sharkopath.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Thats a really good OP, i've always heard this show called round vernian vifam and don't remember the Op being that good.

My favorite obscure 80s mecha opening is still Panzer World Galient tho, it has kind of a prog sound going for it too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2CiX6ArmsQ

Can this be a safe space for other 80s mecha shows? SPT Layzner is another forgotten show that is pretty drat good (the op song isn't as much, tho.)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It doesn't need to be a safe space because people will talk about 80s mecha in the general mecha thread with zero problems at all

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I have a post about why I think the ending is so cool but I'm holding it hostage until somebody else finishes the series.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

That is a good drat opening theme and I think by itself it's sold me on watching this.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I watched the first episode of Vifam. It's an exciting first episode, there's a lot of suspense and mystery to it and I can't wait to see where it goes. I'm going to Florida for a week so I'll keep watching it once I get back.

We all know the OP is really good but the ED is a good piece of music too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOmBfjv2rbo

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I watched the first three episodes tonight. The opening arc is really intense, I really have no idea where this show is going to go in 30-some episodes and that makes me really excited. The soundtrack, while sparse so far (a lot of sunrise shows in this decade have pretty limited soundtracks that are used really really well I've found) is really good. The OP and ED are really good. This show has some of the most believable kids I've seen in anime.

Those are my midnight thoughts on the Vifam show.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm gonna watch this show. And if I don't like it, I will never post in VEGETA again.:toxx:

I trust OP's judgment though.:tipshat:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I should check it out too. I remember it'S opening from the huge "All 80s mecha anime opening" video that got taken down from youtube (:argh:).

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Between that amazing OP and the intriguing premise, I'm gonna go watch this show. It's got to be better than the show I'm watching now, Silent Mobius.

EDIT: Just finished the first episode, and wow! I'm a sucker for this kind of sci-fi, and that was a lot of fun - the kids were surprisingly well-written and not irritating in the slightest. Tomino also seems to have a thing for starting a show with the destruction of a hero's home - thinking of G-Reco, of the original Gundam, of Zeta Gundam (in a sense), and more closely of King Gainer, given the evacuation theme there.

In conclusion, if this were a show airing today I'd be hyped for next week.

EDIT2: No, I've got more to say. That scene where Fred was staring at the burning vehicle was very striking, the moment where this strange situation turned from something strange to an actual nightmare. I liked the touch of him staring back at his home before he ran after his brother, too.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jan 9, 2016

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIxDYAjijOQ

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

My favorite thing about that song is how earnest it is. :3:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I finished Vifam. It's a really consistently good show, there's nothing I can really complain about. I love the cast, it has funny jokes and good drama, good action and a really believable conflict. I have to reflect a little bit more before writing my final thoughts but I'm really glad I watched this show.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Somebody has finally passed the trial... I get to reveal the post.... about the end of Vifam......

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Vifam is really cool because it's a series with a strong central theme that runs down its entire spine, of Uncertainty. It's very good about leaving the viewer as in the dark about the nature of the conflict as the cast is, and doesn't even reveal anything about the invaders until it nears the end. The kids are uncertain about the future, they are uncertain if they will ever see their families again, they are uncertain if they can even run the ship by themselves and they are uncertain if they'll even survive in the end. A strong reoccurring point is Scott's uncertainty about being thrust into the leadership role simply because he's the oldest, and thats part of what makes him so compelling as a character.

So the finale ending the way it does, not on a strong feeling of triumph but on a sad note of uncertainty is a really good bit of reinforcement. In a concession to reality everything hinges on people and forces that are far outside the realm of what the kids themselves can affect, but their adventure has still left them with hope for a brighter future and that if peace is willing, they will all find a place to be together again.

Vifam is very much a show that reflects the lives of civilians stranded in wartime, and its that focus that makes it my favorite robot show of them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The Vifam albums have cool art

• Locked thread