Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Norichika Aoki is a Seattle Mariner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I wonder where Maeda goes now that Price has landed somewhere and Greinke is gonna make his choice soon (according to this thread). Yankees? They have a mixed history with Japanese players but the ones who worked out were superlative.

I think the Yankees make a run at him, but I feel like he ends up in the NL.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

CubsWoo posted:

Surprised Price isn't going to an NL team after all the chatter about him wanting to hit but if he isn't going to be a Cub at least he won't be facing them anywhere outside of the WS or the 2017 interleague games

Now go all in on signing Heyward, maybe get Cueto if you feel he's worth it and bring Samardzija in for contract talks only to offer him some ridiculous lowball like $19m/4y because gently caress giving a 31 year old #3 at best starter an ~$80m contract for the tail end of his career

You have really weird baseball thoughts. The idea that Price would care about 2-3 at bats every 5 days is a crazy thought. And the "chatter" you heard was from some guy who writes for the New York Post who said "a person who knows him from Tampa told me this."

Also, you don't start contract talks with players and then lowball them by a ridiculous amount. That's how players stop coming in to talk to you. 31 is hardly the tail end of a pitchers career. (But yes, Samardjiza had a very bad year last year, but he ate 214 innings!)

Scob posted:

the cards wont sign heyward to a gigantic contract, they would spend holliday type money on him is what im saying. I personally wouldnt sign heyward to a 30 mill aav contract if I was the owner of a team is also what im saying and I wouldnt call him a complete player.

I did misunderstand you a bit then! I should have said what I thought he was worth. I definitely don't think he's worth 30mil. But I really want the Cardinals to offer him somewhere around ~7/165 (maybe more if they have to in order to get him). With Holliday on his way out we could use a mainstay in our outfield the next ~7 years. He absolutely is a complete player. He plays great defense, good arm, good baserunner, and a good bat. He doesn't do anything poorly.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 2, 2015

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
I am glad the Phillies did not sign David Price, because I would like them to spend $200m in other ways

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
The Tony Cruz era is OFFICIALLY over in St. Louis. He has been traded to KC for shortstop Jose Martinez.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Pastrymancy posted:

Norichika Aoki is a Seattle Mariner

Hmmm okay.

That's really I have to say about that :geno:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Crimson Sox posted:

I sincerely hope that he opts out after the 3 yrars

Getting a dude's best years and then letting him opt-out so someone else pays for his decline is the new market inefficiency.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Thom P. Tiers posted:

The Tony Cruz era is OFFICIALLY over in St. Louis. He has been traded to KC for shortstop Jose Martinez.

Tony Cruz is going to get like 10 years of MLB service time as a backup catcher for "the guy who never takes days off"

It's hilarious.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Thom P. Tiers posted:

You have really weird baseball thoughts. The idea that Price would care about 2-3 at bats every 5 days is a crazy thought. And the "chatter" you heard was from some guy who writes for the New York Post who said "a person who knows him from Tampa told me this."

I never got the NL rumors considering Price has never played on an NL team. Where did this love of hitting come from?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Surely there's no way Price opts out at age 33 thinking he'll get a bigger contract than the largest pitcher contract in history

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance

Intruder posted:

Surely there's no way Price opts out at age 33 thinking he'll get a bigger contract than the largest pitcher contract in history

we thought the same things about Zack Greinke (and CC Sabathia) and look what happened

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Intruder posted:

I'm hoping it finally backfires on a team where they have a bad year in the opt out year and say "Nah, I'll stay."

And at age 33 if he does opt out, he will *just* need to get a deal for more than 127 million dollars to make more overall guaranteed money than he would have in Boston. 5/140 or something at age 33 probably wouldn't be out of the question to get. Baseball is a crazy thing.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 2, 2015

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I'm hoping it finally backfires on a team where they have a bad year in the opt out year and say "Nah, I'll stay."
Forget pitchers, Elvis Andrus won't opt out of his stupid contract

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

What will Kershaw get when he opts out, a cool $300m maybe

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Der Meister posted:

What will Kershaw get when he opts out, a cool $300m maybe

he has an opt out??? when is that kicking in and at what age?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

MinibarMatchman posted:

he has an opt out??? when is that kicking in and at what age?

After 2018, so he'd be 30.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Poque posted:

Haha he's going to get so much money

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

in their continuing effort to field the worst team in history the braves signed gordon beckham

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
The Mariners signed Justin De Fratus. If the Phillies didn't completely ruin him last season, he could be a good pick up.

Then again, I have to think a lot of the issues he had pitching were of his own doing, who knows what'll happen.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Vernon Wells didn't opt out. Never forget.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

MassaShowtime posted:

Vernon Wells didn't opt out. Never forget.

Holy poo poo why did Vernon Wells get paid 4/90 from 2011-14?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Holy poo poo why did Vernon Wells get paid 4/90 from 2011-14?

1) He was actually really good at one point 2) his contract was hilariously backloaded

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

Haha he's going to get so much money
He will presumably set another record just like he did when he signed his extension.

Kershaw's opt out is after year 5 in a 7 year deal. Greinke's was after year 3 in a 6 year deal. Price's is after year 3 in a 7 year deal, which I find interesting. Having the opt out sooner is presumably more beneficial to the player and puts more risk on the team.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

mentholmoose posted:

The Mariners signed Justin De Fratus. If the Phillies didn't completely ruin him last season, he could be a good pick up.

Then again, I have to think a lot of the issues he had pitching were of his own doing, who knows what'll happen.

So far Jerry Dipoto's pickups seem to be "he had a down year last year, he'll definitely improve!" and I just worry that's gonna end badly.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Poque posted:

The 2018-19 offseason is going to be bonkers.

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

I don't think about my hands too much. Just trying to hit the ball in the air. Hit the ball in the air!
The Dodgers will extend Kershaw before his opt-out. He's the whole franchise, and he's probably worth more to the Dodgers than anyone else at this point. He will still get a ton of money, deservedly so.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"
This feels like the cano contract where you just got the impression the team was gonna sign him no matter what and the agent just started inching the goalposts a little at a time and being surprised when they kept not balking at it

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Peter Bourjous has been claimed off waivers by..... the Phillies.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mystery Team has offered Shark a deal for more than $100 mil

Pumpkin McPastry
Mar 8, 2004

What else do I have to do to impress you people?

Abel Wingnut posted:

in their continuing effort to field the worst team in history the braves signed gordon beckham

White Sox fans are pretty jubilant about this, although it doesn't mean they won't just trade for him again later this season.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Peter Bourjous has been claimed off waivers by..... the Phillies.

Goodbye Peter Bourjos, you turned out to kinda suck at anything other than defense, and you almost killed Stephen Piscotty with that defense.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

It's December you lazy fucks

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Mystery Team has offered Shark a deal for more than $100 mil
An OOTP team isn't real and his agent knows it

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
If Shark gets more than a 3 year deal it will be insane.

So inevitably he's gonna get like 7/$120

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I don't think he's great or anything but there has to be some value in a guy who has averaged ~215 innings a year the last 3 years. The going rate for that and the fact that he was pretty good just the previous year (2014) probably means he will get decent money. ~5/75 doesn't seem out of the question honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

im surprised the cards didnt tender peter b and try to move him in spring training, but even then the return wouldnt have been anything great. they might have needed his 40 man spot too, im not sure how many they have on it now.

• Locked thread