Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

PostNouveau posted:

The episode two weeks ago, which was Halloween-themed but not a Treehouse of Horror, was really good.

I hate to say it but I agree. I even actively avoid watching the Simpsons when it's on, but I apparently have some magical sense to watch it, or at least forget to turn off the TV or change the channel when it's that season's allotted good episode.

I say stop at the end of Season 11. So many of us have a hard time telling when it went to poo poo, because we watched into the poo poo years due to pure momentum. I probably continued to watch well into season 15 before I realized that it was poo poo, just because I didn't know what else to do on Sundays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The Lego one a couple seasons ago was good too.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
The last good episode was also the best episode of the series: You Only Move Twice, featuring Hank Scorpio.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

PostNouveau posted:

The episode two weeks ago, which was Halloween-themed but not a Treehouse of Horror, was really good.

Yeah it was actually. Occasionally they still put out a good episode, but its not worth watching every episode in hopes for the good ones. The actual THOH was awful, though.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I wish king of the hill was still on. There was an underrated and hilarious show.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Season 13 of king of the hill was bad

I'm glad it got cancelled before it turned into another simpsons

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I can honestly say I never noticed a significant change in quality for KOTH. At worst it just became kind of repetitive, but never bad or unwatchable like Simpsons.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

if you didn't cry when maggie said her first word you're dead inside

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRr2zXdLkHA

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
You can tell by the animation style.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

PostNouveau posted:

It was okay., But it wasn't anywhere NEAR Classic Simpsons. Not at all.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

I know, I just wanted to believe it wasn't

that's a big probbo with the simpsons today, references like this. early seasons had gags relevant to that time that haven't really aged well but the majority of references were to older things that were generally well known. like, 25 years later those jokes still work. who the gently caress is going to remember kesha or tik-tok in 25 years?

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

Groovelord Neato posted:

if you didn't cry when maggie said her first word you're dead inside

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRr2zXdLkHA

i am very dead inside, yes

also jaded

they never did poo poo with maggie but then again they were stuck in a floating timeline so no one ever aged

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
armin tamzarian episode

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer

Loutre posted:

The last good episode was also the best episode of the series: You Only Move Twice, featuring Hank Scorpio.

This was not the last good episode but it was certainly the high point.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i havent watched it in years.but how could i? i dont even own a tv :smug:

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Actually i just recently pirated most of the simpsons so I want to make sure I remember it right. Will watch them in order and update this thread once it gets bad.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I had quit watching regularly before this point, but the episode where Bart and Lisa chase Homer and Marge around the world trying to catch them loving is the one that broke me.

Leroy Dennui posted:

ftfy (the Frank Grimes episode was legit great)

Anything good about that episode was destroyed by the Frank Grimes Jr episode.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

raditts posted:

I had quit watching regularly before this point, but the episode where Bart and Lisa chase Homer and Marge around the world trying to catch them loving is the one that broke me.

Anything good about that episode was destroyed by the Frank Grimes Jr episode.

Season 14 did not exist, therefore your statement is invalid :colbert:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

(not THOH episodes)

Also not from a THOH:

Son of Rodney posted:

I was not aware that anybody didn't like the grimey episode or the homer in the navy one, they are both classic episodes to me with some of the funniest jokes.

Maybe they're confusing it with the "Yvan Eht Nioj" episode, which was in fact total poo poo

The Navy one is the one where Homer accidentally takes a sub and causes an international incident, isn't it? Because there were some good parts to that episode but that part was pretty bad.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

I remember this because it was cut out in reruns at some point on the channel i watched simpsons on, and I really liked homers line there :(

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I think something as well in both Simpsons and South Park thag I didn't care for was the slight change in animation style IE more shadows in the simpsons and showing like, individual digits and more complex animation in South Park, the beauty was in the simplicity for both

Bowlcutbarricade
Dec 27, 2014

Moes Tavern changing colors in season 2 or 3.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

raditts posted:

Maybe they're confusing it with the "Yvan Eht Nioj" episode, which was in fact total poo poo

The Navy one is the one where Homer accidentally takes a sub and causes an international incident, isn't it? Because there were some good parts to that episode but that part was pretty bad.

Oh yeah that's possible. Well the episode wasn't perfect but it had the nucular joke which I still quote sometimes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU-OycAb_Lg

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Turpitude posted:

I consider this episode to be when it all went to poo poo: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_You_Dish_Upon_a_Star (Season 10 ep5)

ding ding ding

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Remember when smithers was black?

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
On the Tracey Ullman Show.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Kings Of Calabria posted:

I hate to act all serious about a cartoon on the internet because that's like the ultimate fall from grace, but early Simpsons episodes actually had some life-changing ideals written into them. Picture a show being watched by millions of people 25+ years ago where all cops are corrupt dickheads, religious leaders are all hucksters, politicians are all lying narcissists, and your ideal American nuclear family is a terrifying pit of disappointment and looming troubles behind closed doors. I didn;t have the capacity to understand what changed in the ealry 2000s as I was in Junior High, but I definitely felt it because watching The Simpsons back then was a requirement and all that cynical grit just up and left over the course of a year.

What season was that one where Bart gets bullied until he tells mum who talks to the school and then he's not bullied any more? Because that's the exact kind of feel good family value that the show was originally meant to skewer, but I swear they played it totally straight.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Is there a website anywhere where they say plots of simpsons episodes + guest stars and you have to guess if they are real or fake? Because based on the first page of the thread I would not do very well at that.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I think most people say the Armin Tanzarian one, but I think it's actually a couple episodes before that. "The Secret War of Lisa Simpson" really breaks new ground for the show in terms of laziness. Someone in the writer's room went "What about if the kids go to a military academy?" and that's about all the setup the show gives it. It really sets a precedent that the later seasons follow where nothing develops organically, it's all just premise-driven.

They had a Marge becomes a cop episode a few before this one, but I feel like they put a lot more care into setting her new job up and explaining why she'd want to do it. This was really the one where the staff gave up and went, "Eh, it's OK if we don't try real hard on the plot as long as it gets us to a place where we can riff."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

PostNouveau posted:

I think most people say the Armin Tanzarian one, but I think it's actually a couple episodes before that. "The Secret War of Lisa Simpson" really breaks new ground for the show in terms of laziness. Someone in the writer's room went "What about if the kids go to a military academy?" and that's about all the setup the show gives it. It really sets a precedent that the later seasons follow where nothing develops organically, it's all just premise-driven.

They had a Marge becomes a cop episode a few before this one, but I feel like they put a lot more care into setting her new job up and explaining why she'd want to do it. This was really the one where the staff gave up and went, "Eh, it's OK if we don't try real hard on the plot as long as it gets us to a place where we can riff."

The setup was Bart acting out and doing that megaphone prank which made them seek some form of punishment/something that might help him mature. Then the episode is more about Lisa deciding to do it and overcoming struggles. It's not perfect, but it isn't that lazy and is comparable to a lot of episodes before it. If it aired today they would probably just randomly run into a celebrity endorsing it and then smash cut to Bart and Lisa in uniforms.

• Locked thread