Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Murphy Brownback posted:

The first season was extremely uneven with some great and quite a few almost unenjoyable episodes that were necessary to separate it from the movie. Season 2 is near the top though, but it was more than watchable for seasons 2-7, and even 8-10 aren't awful.

It's definitely better than whatever this stupid british poo poo red dwarf thing people keep going on about.

Everything is better than BBC sci-fi poo poo. Look at Dr. Who, they made a show for the absolute dregs of the anglophiles, which is like making a dirty magazine aimed at only the most vile pedophiles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Battlestar before it became clear none of the rear end in a top hat characters were ever going to change or realise that they were fuckups (except Tigh, he's cool)

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
Space above and beyond. For fucks sake.

Tramadol Junkie
Aug 30, 2015

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Lost in Space was the greatest ever space TV show you complete nincompoop!

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Confirming LoGH is the best sci-fi. Rewatching it with my roommate who's never seen it, it's blowing his mind.

https://youtu.be/wUEIPyeSaYY?t=4m15s

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Are you serious with this anime poo poo

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Red Dwarf is usually pretty funny and enjoyable but I can't comprehend the idea of thinking it's the greatest of all time in either comedy or space shows.

Babylon 5 and Legend of Galactic Heroes, for my money. B5 suffers a bit because it's dated and was already made on like half the budget of Star Trek at the same time, but once it gets into the swing of things near the end of season 1 and beginning of season 2, the writing and production gel and it quickly rockets up in quality, and only gets better, except for a bump in the beginning of season 5, all the way up to the end, culminating in one of the best, most satisfying finales in TV history. Any other show today would keep ramping it up till the end, or at that time it would have been business as usual until the end like TNG, but B5 gives it several episodes to wind down as an epilogue and denouement.

I maintain that you couldn't make a show like B5 anymore - of course, you almost couldn't in the '90s either, for different reasons.

The only real downside to LOGH is that it'll likely never be dubbed to English for cost reasons.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Murphy Brownback posted:

Are you serious with this anime poo poo

gently caress yeah, LoGH is so good the fact it's animated doesn't even matter

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Mederlock posted:

gently caress yeah, LoGH is so good the fact it's animated doesn't even matter

I tried watching the thing you linked and 100% honestly I'd rather watch Stargate SG-1 S1E3 "Emancipation" on loop until the day I die than watch an entire show of that.

vudan
Dec 11, 2010

jBrereton posted:

They could, though, just Baltar was like "hmm I think I'm going to lie now so the Cylon chick doesn't kill me, that has worked out in my interest historically".

Also the glowing bits got dropped like a hot stone in S2 onwards because it was clearly dumb.

Best space TV show is the better half of Space: Above and Beyond (some of it is trash).

See I get that, and that much of humanity's tech was lost, but no one went "dude, make some sense and don't be a lovely scientist." Or no one went hey, let's look at these samples independently of the one whack job science man we have and see if we can figure out the problem which appears to be humanity's greatest threat.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I love space. Seriously its the only thing that can bring my brain to a state of pure awe every single time. It never gets old.

However, please dont mix the wonder that is space and the universe with this STUPID loving GARBAGE

TIA

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Murphy Brownback posted:

I tried watching the thing you linked and 100% honestly I'd rather watch Stargate SG-1 S1E3 "Emancipation" on loop until the day I die than watch an entire show of that.

the speech clip is amusing but the show itself is much better

it is the least-"anime" anime that there is

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That kind of stuff honestly doesn't happen often. More of it is political intrigue, discussions on the merits of a democracy, however corrupt it may be, versus totalitarianism, both in its progressive form that seeks to reform for the benefit of all, and the old system that served the aristocracy to the detriment of the people. All the while crazy fleet battles are going on from both sides' perspective.

To each their own I guess :shrug:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
also I named my file/torrent server at home Wolfgang :v:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Mederlock posted:

That kind of stuff honestly doesn't happen often. More of it is political intrigue, discussions on the merits of a democracy, however corrupt it may be, versus totalitarianism, both in its progressive form that seeks to reform for the benefit of all, and the old system that served the aristocracy to the detriment of the people. All the while crazy fleet battles are going on from both sides' perspective.

To each their own I guess :shrug:

Yeah but what does that have to do with blowing up aliens with sick-rear end space ships and lasers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

The Grimace posted:

RIP Space Ghost

nice.

Other Space is real good. I barely got through the second season of BSG and gave up during the third. Nerds will watch any lovely soap opera if you add lasers.

• Locked thread