Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Angular Landbury posted:

I need to get into the "being TNA" business, where I don't make money or pay people but am somehow solvent at the same time. It's like having a Game Genie for life

It's called "having a rich dad." Oh wait, you said that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

MassRafTer posted:

They weren't making enough to stay afloat before and having over a million weekly viewers was never impressive.

It's something any other non-WWE promotion would have been able to capitalize on in some way, though. Or at least tried.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Pop TV president Brad Schwartz on TNA

Miami Herald posted:

“Dixie is so impressive, and she’s such an amazing spirit with a good, positive energy to her,” Schwartz said. “By the end of the meeting, she had won everyone in the room over, and the next day it was unanimous, ‘Let’s do this.’

“Then, it was a matter of can we get it?”

Pop got it.

Still no indication what kind of deal it was. Though Brad's question of, "Can we get it?" seems to hint toward something. Why isn't it Dixie and TNA worried about "getting" the deal? My guess is because Pop were trying to "get it" as a time buy.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Electric Lady posted:

Still no indication what kind of deal it was. Though Brad's question of, "Can we get it?" seems to hint toward something. Why isn't it Dixie and TNA worried about "getting" the deal? My guess is because Pop were trying to "get it" as a time buy.

You are reading too much into a fluff piece.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
"Her voice, a soft Dallas lilt, has its own smile"

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Electric Lady posted:

No matter what product you're acquiring, you will publicly treat it like it is an incredible success and acquiring it is a wonderful move for the future.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I read it as "can we get it [for free]?" or "can we get it [because this idiot keeps signing with an X]?"

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Notice there is nothing about how great the TNA product is in the quoted section.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

Jesus, look how hot the crowd was for 2006 TNA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8huHwyWsNaQ

Oh my god Tenay and Don West wouldn't shut the gently caress up. I forgot all about that.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
Taz made me miss Don West

Josh and Pope made me miss Disco Inferno and Stevie Ray as commentators

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Heel Don West was unironically awesome.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

DynamiteKidd posted:

Taz made me miss Don West

Josh and Pope made me miss Disco Inferno and Stevie Ray as commentators

Most things make me miss Stevie Ray as a commentator. I make sure to refer to ladies as yaks every day.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
If Josh and Pope are, on average, 75% as bad as they were at Bound for Glory, I'm not sure what commentary teams I WOULDN'T take over them, except for heel Michael Cole.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Is it controversial to say that Kevin Kelly is actually the worst commentator in all wrestling

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Alain Post posted:

Is it controversial to say that Kevin Kelly is actually the worst commentator in all wrestling

I assume you mean current, in which case it's uncontrolled Matt Striker.

Matt Striker and Kevin Kelly are going to be the commentary team for a goddamn New Japan PPV. Kill me.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Great White Hope posted:

I assume you mean current, in which case it's uncontrolled Matt Striker.

There's no thigh-slapping here!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Alain Post posted:

That's impossible.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m4QYeZfib_g

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hahaha what the gently caress?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Well, er, that sure went somewhere unexpected :stare:

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
My favorite moment int he history of Taz commentary, which as you'll remember is about 10 goddamn years, is when TNA did that Wrestle-1 co-promoted One Night Only show last year.

Tenay tries to give a bio on Taiyo Kea; he only gets out that Kea's from Hawaii when Taz goes off on some tangent. When Taz is done with that, he wants Tenay to keep talking about Taiyo Kea, so he says "Hawaii Hawaii Hawaii Hawaii, g'head"

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I've taken some shots at Kevin Kelly but he's nowhere near as bad anything post Don West/Mike Tenay TNA has put together.

Kevin Kelly is actually good when he calls shows without Striker or Corino.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

coconono posted:

I've taken some shots at Kevin Kelly but he's nowhere near as bad anything post Don West/Mike Tenay TNA has put together.

Kevin Kelly is actually good when he calls shows without Striker or Corino.

Wrestle Kingdom 10 :smith:

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
I am pretty sure mark madden is available to complete the worst announcers of al time triad.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Kelly and Striker already have called one major NJPW together (King of Pro Wrestling from this October). Both the English and Japanese feeds are on NJPW World if you're a subscriber.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Thauros posted:

Kelly and Striker already have called one major NJPW together (King of Pro Wrestling from this October). Both the English and Japanese feeds are on NJPW World if you're a subscriber.

If you make it past the first match on the English feed, you're a trooper.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
How the gently caress is TNA still around

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

corn in the bible posted:

How the gently caress is TNA still around

Regrettably permissive parents.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Matt Striker sucks and he reminds me of the kind of smark fan I always hate sitting next to at shows

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

sportsgenius86 posted:

Matt Striker sucks and he reminds me of the kind of smark fan I always hate sitting next to at shows

He is marking out bro

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Regrettably permissive parents.

i thought it was dying in october or something though

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

i thought it was dying in october or something though

We thought it was dying sooner than that. It keeps getting a stay of execution, though.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
When the nuclear apocalypse comes, only two things will survive: cockroaches and TNA

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I've never even heard of POP NETWORK

What is their viewership going to be? Five?

TKImpulse
Oct 21, 2009

I've never even heard of POP NETWORK

What is their viewership going to be? Five?

It's the old TV Guide channel.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
To be fair I don't think POP existe dunder that name until just a few months ago

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Shine posted:

There's no thigh-slapping here!

Please tell me he didn't say that

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

fart blood posted:

Please tell me he didn't say that

He did, during the Villanos - Psycho Circus match at Triplemania, a legit MINUS FIVE STARS match:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo5VZNQrVgc

And now I remember that match and feel terrible again.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

POP TV is in something like 70 million homes. But no idea what their viewership is like. What's telling is they don't have a corporate page where they could archive press releases with stuff like "X amount of people tuned into watch Y, yay us!"

So, I'm gonna guess they're gonna do Destination America numbers.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

These words should be probatable in the TNA thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

coconono posted:

POP TV is in something like 70 million homes. But no idea what their viewership is like. What's telling is they don't have a corporate page where they could archive press releases with stuff like "X amount of people tuned into watch Y, yay us!"

So, I'm gonna guess they're gonna do Destination America numbers.

Why would anyone turn to the TV guide channel if they have digital cable? And who has regular cable except for really old people at this point?

• Locked thread